Would you recommend me going for a new PSU ?

mafioso
Go to solution Solved by mafioso,

Right I found the culprit : Thermal paste !!

I found another LTT thread with a guy with the same issue and he tried the simplest thing on earth : changing thermal paste.

I did the same thing.

I cleaned the all-dead-dried-out thermal paste by GA and put on some good thermal grizzly kryonaut.

Now I run at stock without any issue at all.

It's even better : I don't even hear the fan noise @@

I used to hear the fan ramping up when it loads some graphics, now it's almost inaudible @@

So great I could use my card almost brand new again ^_^

Hello,

I've been using a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC Rev 1.0 since July 2021.

I like the performance so far, especially because I'm only playing 1080p144Hz.

However I don't seem to be able to run it at 100%. I have to lower power limit in MSI Afterburner to 75% in order for it to not shut down half way when I play some quite demanding games, like FF7R.

I don't seem to have found any stable custom OC profile either (I mean I do it myself). Even making a custom lower clock curve won't work.

Memory OC is even worse. Every positive or negative clock will result in video driver issue, so I leave it at stock.

I'm running on a Corsair RM750x since February 2021.

Basically if I don't lower power limit, it will simply shut itself. No that's not correct, the display will simply go black, while everything is running, I can still hear sound but I cannot see anything.

I'm pretty sure it's that the GPU shuts itself down, so I don't have image.

It feels like for a brief moment the PSU cannot feed enough power that the GPU calls.

Would you guys try going for a better PSU ? I've been hunting for people with similar issues and for some I found out they seeked for a more powerful PSU, like 1k W or something like that.

I'm considering even going multi rails, opposed to my single rail unit.

What do you think ?

I'm gonna put some other details of my system :

GA B550 Aorus Pro + 3700X + 32GB 3600MHz

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

That sounds more like the GPU is faulty than the PSU - PSU protection shutdowns or failures would be a total system shutdown/restart, not just bugged out video.

Also, 750w should be more than sufficient for a 3070. If you've already tried DDU without solving the problem, I would try a few software things first, such as reinstalling Windows.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

That sounds more like the GPU is faulty than the PSU - PSU protection shutdowns or failures would be a total system shutdown/restart, not just bugged out video.

Oops, that sounds sad

Mobo: ASRock B150M Pro4s | CPU: Intel core i7 7700 with stock cooler | Storages: 2x80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm + Zotac 120GB | Memory: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Fury | PSU: 400W HYN 80+ | GPU: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB | Tower: an old one from the other decade | Monitor: ASUS Widescreen 900p + ViewSonic FHD| Speaker: microlab

Just now, mafioso said:

Oops, that sounds sad

I edited my post to add: 

Also, 750w should be more than sufficient for a 3070. If you've already tried DDU without solving the problem, I would try a few software things first, such as reinstalling Windows.

If you can't get it to be stable, then I would consider RMAing the 3070 for warranty. 

Try a different GPU if you have access to one, see if it works.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Shimmy Gummi said:

I edited my post to add: 

If you can't get it to be stable, then I would consider RMAing the 3070 for warranty. 

Try a different GPU if you have access to one, see if it works.

Yes, I have ddu-ed, reinstalled Windows and pretty much every soft solutions so far, like trying using an older driver etc... it won't cut it.

About RMA... I can't, this is something I bought from somebody else, I don't have either box, or purchase note etc...

Best thing I could do is trying reselling it, or give it to my brother. In both cases, I'm quite lazy hunting for a new card ☹️

Just now, --SID-- said:

Can be the RAM or motherboard too.

What's the brand and model of the RAM?

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

It's one pair of GSkills and one pair of Corsair.

And yes motherboard up to date

13 minutes ago, mafioso said:

It's one pair of GSkills and one pair of Corsair.

Don't mix RAM with Ryzen!!

11 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Don't mix RAM with Ryzen!!

It would mean a lot if it's a CPU related problem...

Right I found the culprit : Thermal paste !!

I found another LTT thread with a guy with the same issue and he tried the simplest thing on earth : changing thermal paste.

I did the same thing.

I cleaned the all-dead-dried-out thermal paste by GA and put on some good thermal grizzly kryonaut.

Now I run at stock without any issue at all.

It's even better : I don't even hear the fan noise @@

I used to hear the fan ramping up when it loads some graphics, now it's almost inaudible @@

So great I could use my card almost brand new again ^_^

Faulty GPU or something else faulty, but PSU provided its not also faulty should be good.

I have a RTX 3070 VISION OC and a Rmi650w (basically the same as Rmx) and no issues, can OC, undervolt, etc. MAX power draw GPU 272w, no issues.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:45 PM, mafioso said:

I'm considering even going multi rails,

Im always multi rail… i can switch it to single but why would i… makes no sense, multi is better.

7 hours ago, mafioso said:

found another LTT thread with a guy with the same issue and he tried the simplest thing on earth : changing thermal paste.

I did the same thing.

Right… thats odd… my temps didnt  change at all since i got the card (1 year+) but glad you fixed it (who's GA though ?)

Btw you can mark your own posts as solution, woulda saved me some time/energy typing my reply. : p

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Faulty GPU or something else faulty, but PSU provided its not also faulty should be good.

I have a RTX 3070 VISION OC and a Rmi650w (basically the same as Rmx) and no issues, can OC, undervolt, etc. MAX power draw GPU 272w, no issues.

Im always multi rail… i can switch it to single but why would i… makes no sense, multi is better.

Right… thats odd… my temps didnt  change at all since i got the card (1 year+) but glad you fixed it (who's GA though ?)

Btw you can mark your own posts as solution, woulda saved me some time/energy typing my reply. : p

I thought the RMi starts at 750 ? I mean if I switch now I will not got lower than 750.

I'm not gonna OC with this, I haven't changed any thermal pads, plus it's air cooling so it's gonna be challenging.

Right now on stock it draws max 225W.

Actually, if you look a bit in the comments, I said that I got this card second hand, by July 2021, so it should be at most 9 months from release, till now it should be more than a year, like a year and a half. Actually I have no idea what the previous owner did to it, but the moment I got the heatsink out, the thermal paste isn't a paste anymore.

GA = Gigabyte 😆

Aye I haven't been back here for a while I forgot how to properly use LTT anymore !-!

48 minutes ago, mafioso said:

but the moment I got the heatsink out, the thermal paste isn't a paste anymore.

i mean yeah… stock thermal paste can be bad, its a bit of lottery i guess… i just thought its unusual after such a short amount of time, but i mean Im glad that fixed it for you!

48 minutes ago, mafioso said:

I'm not gonna OC with this, I haven't changed any thermal pads, plus it's air cooling so it's gonna be challenging.

Right now on stock it draws max 225W.

well, undervolting can make sense, my card runs cooler and higher frequency than stock that way…

And are you sure, which model is it?

my vision oc has 270w pwr limit, which is *very high* for a 3070 and i thought  other gigabyte "oc" versions at least would be the same. 

the info on the internet is *not* correct (they all say 220w, but definitely thats wrong for this particular model…)

re3_rtx3070_maxpwrlmtqckrm.png.52683a1d03581e561334b59324211927.png

ps: yeah, its a RMI 650w… more than enough, actually the system runs fine on a bequiet pure power 500w, as well…

wattage  isnt that important, its how the psu handles spikes, but i dont  think that should be an issue with RMX at all.

20220409_080959.thumb.jpg.f62f774b51b8aa408453679191e275bb.jpg

= )

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mean yeah… stock thermal paste can be bad, its a bit of lottery i guess… i just thought its unusual after such a short amount of time, but i mean Im glad that fixed it for you!

well, undervolting can make sense, my card runs cooler and higher frequency than stock that way…

And are you sure, which model is it?

my vision oc has 270w pwr limit, which is *very high* for a 3070 and i thought  other gigabyte "oc" versions at least would be the same. 

the info on the internet is *not* correct (they all say 220w, but definitely thats wrong for this particular model…)

re3_rtx3070_maxpwrlmtqckrm.png.52683a1d03581e561334b59324211927.png

I mean, that was the max wattage I saw on HWMonitor while I played and stream some game.

If you talk about GPU-Z, here is mine :

image.png.f776bf55a43faa3dd8a1cad5bc11f55a.png

My question is, how would you know if your card would ever reach 270W or not.

How would you push it to the limit ?

Okay this is what I got running Furmark :

image.thumb.png.0f3ba7fd4b8ea0d6c02e2564e7cd6ff0.png

Why is the GPU power in HWMonitor only 210-220W, while the board draw is 265W on GPU-Z ?

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

ps: yeah, its a RMI 650w… more than enough, actually the system runs fine on a bequiet pure power 500w, as well…

wattage  isnt that important, its how the psu handles spikes, but i dont  think that should be an issue with RMX at all.

20220409_080959.thumb.jpg.f62f774b51b8aa408453679191e275bb.jpg

= )

Yeah I figure, but I mean it feels good to have a big number after all 😆

10 minutes ago, mafioso said:

My question is, how would you know if your card would ever reach 270W or not.

How would you push it to the limit ?

My PSU has a sensor, 272w total board power (GPU) is max so far = )

497w total "system power" 

i forgot what i used to test lol, either ROTTR max settings or Firestrike i guess… (for total it was probably heaven + prime 95 o.o) 

Im pretty sure i can go higher than "497" but frankly, thats all i was comfortable with, prime 95 alone uses a lot of power / generates a lot of heat lol 

If you talk about GPU-Z

yeah so its the same as my card, technically… figured as much. : p

Yeah I figure, but I mean it feels good to have a big number after all 😆

True, it cant hurt especially for upgrades, but 750 is in a weird spot, good for a 3070, probably not enough for a 3080 (although it could work…) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity