Looking for budget video camera

I'm going to start a small youtube channel to talk out some stuff outside of my own head. I don't expect to get big or anything and this is more an exercise for my own mental health. But I need a camera to use that doesn't look like crap in case anyone does see it. I'm not looking fancy or 4k, just making sure the video is reasonably clear for a face talking youtube video. Looking for a camera under 100, preferably usb connection with stand so I can set it in front of me and just go instead of transferring from sd card.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

you got an old android kicking about anywhere?

Time stamped

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Oh, and if Gorfield isn't in the background somewhere on it i'll be upset

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

7 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

Time stamped

This is pretty much what I have been doing for the last 4 years. I have an barely working LG G4, I am able to stream to OBS via "IP Webcam" app through local network (and also through USB but I am not sure if that app still works).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just start with a phone.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Camera is the least important part of the equation, audio and lighting are more important.

You can use the most expensive Sony a1 6000$ camera, but if your lighting is 💩, then your video will be too, the same goes for audio.

No matter how good your image looks, if the thing you are doing is talking head, and audio is hissy unlistenable garbage, then no one will last longer than a minute watching your videos, no matter how cinematic they are.

And as an example, if your lighting is spot on and audio is good, you can use a Nokia 3100 recording in 240p, it will still be watchable. If you need a further example of this, go watch older Captain Disillusion videos. They are ancient, in 240p, but because audio and lighting are on point, they still hold up nicely.

So don't buy a cheapo camera, worst mistake you can make.

Instead put that 100$ into a 3 point lighting system and a lav mic.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

For primarily a talking show, invest the money into audio and lighting. Audio is critical to a talk show. And inexpensive lights (don’t need studio lights, just go hit the Home Depot of w/e) offers a lot of bang/buck for improving video quality with a smartphone. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 hours ago, SimplyChunk said:

Not an old extra, but I have my current.

5 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Camera is the least important part of the equation, audio and lighting are more important.

I have a blue yeti mic, not sure how good or bad that is. Lighting, I know nothing about. So as long as the yeti is reasonable, I only need a camera and lighting. I do have my current phone, but not an old extra. I suppose that's probably pretty good since it's a pixel 6 pro, but I have no clue about how to mount it and get it connected to record from computer software. And again I have no knowledge in lighting, so any suggestion there is greatly appreciated.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, Jtalk4456 said:

Sadly I don't

I have a blue yeti mic, not sure how good or bad that is. Lighting, I know nothing about. So as long as the yeti is reasonable, I only need a camera and lighting. I do have my current phone, but not an old extra. I suppose that's probably pretty good since it's a pixel 6 pro, but I have no clue about how to mount it and get it connected to record from computer software. And again I have no knowledge in lighting, so any suggestion there is greatly appreciated.

Blue Yeti is really good, nice!

Again, the pixel 6 pro with it's AI video enhancements will beat any sub 500$ video camera you throw at it into the dirt, and then spit at it, even if you go with the used market, so unless you really need a separate camera, I would stick with your phone. To mount it you would need a smartphone tripod adaptor, but you would need a tripod anyways with a camera, so it is a wash.

If you need a separate camera, the camcorder market crashed really hard a few years ago, so you might be able to pick something up on the used market, but again, it will have a phone sized sensor, but a way older one, and don't expect any blurry backgrounds.

I also don't have the formal education in lighting, I take it more like painting with light. You get a few LED panes, maybe softboxes, and then move them around, see how it affects the final image, and then experiment. Or you can get a 3 point lighting system if you want to be a "youtuber", but usually you can do good with a window, right time of day, and maybe one fill light.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Blue Yeti is really good, nice!

Again, the pixel 6 pro with it's AI video enhancements will beat any sub 500$ video camera you throw at it into the dirt, and then spit at it, even if you go with the used market, so unless you really need a separate camera, I would stick with your phone. To mount it you would need a smartphone tripod adaptor, but you would need a tripod anyways with a camera, so it is a wash.

If you need a separate camera, the camcorder market crashed really hard a few years ago, so you might be able to pick something up on the used market, but again, it will have a phone sized sensor, but a way older one, and don't expect any blurry backgrounds.

I also don't have the formal education in lighting, I take it more like painting with light. You get a few LED panes, maybe softboxes, and then move them around, see how it affects the final image, and then experiment. Or you can get a 3 point lighting system if you want to be a "youtuber", but usually you can do good with a window, right time of day, and maybe one fill light.

strike that, I have the snowball not the yeti...
Do you think something like this would be passable for lighting?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8FBZC2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07T8FBZC2&pd_rd_w=5pORt&pf_rd_p=57cbdc41-b731-4e3d-aca7-49078b13a07b&pd_rd_wg=aVbt6&pf_rd_r=CGNH4Z7RB66MNHYRCDMR&pd_rd_r=08181ef7-0db7-48fc-885c-e43cf4af1e4f&s=photo&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFZUEkwTEE2OEVQTVEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4NzI2MDMySlFXWE1LWllVTFRSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NjA0MjAyQlVIVENOVUFYRUVBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 9:57 PM, Jtalk4456 said:

Those will be fine to get you started, if they’re a little too harsh for you then just put a white bedsheet up between you and the lights and that’ll soften it up nicely.  

• 3 weeks later...