Supplemental Remote Ice-To-Air cooler for performance and low noise?

An0maly_76
Go to solution Solved by Robchil,

you should never make a pc cooling component go lower than 18-19 degrees or something.. due to condense buildup that will follow tubes and reach your components... 

i've tested this in big scale for a server room... with ice water.. it had to go through an exchange to stay at 20.. 

And before anyone sharpens their claws or lights the flamethrower -- hear me out, this is borne of advising someone who needs absolute silence, or close to it -- they record audio and need as low db as possible, but need a speedy, hot-tamale processor for their all-around needs.

Yes, I am aware that Corsair and maybe some other setups support zero rpm and can be shut down in such situations -- however, this could prove to be a huge PITA and potentially dangerous to the system. So I thought, why not set up an ice-to-air cooler in another room and tube its cold air output into the machine, located elsewhere? Only problem I see with this is the potential for moisture, but I'm sure there's some way to install a dryer in-line somewhere, and I'm not even sure the moisture would be that much of an issue with a longer tubing run -- say, 10-20 feet, especially since most of these coolers blow out their top, which could minimize or eliminate that possibility.

Thoughts? I've got half a mind to try this on my 5900X build.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

There has to be a better way.

If you have a big enough heatsink, you don’t need fans or any moving parts at all.

I remember linus showcasing a really high end pc with completely ambient cooling, but it had somekind of experimental vapor chamber system going.

To me, constantly adding new ice is a bigger pita than just running the pc without fans.

If you can’t find a big enough copper heatsink for your cpu, you could also do a custom loop with like 2x360mm radiators and a few 240mm ones, and that should be big enough surface to run without fans for quite some time.

In your suggestion i just don’t know if the ice adds enough value to need it, doesn’t seem to increase air heat conductivity that much. If you are adding dryers etc in your loop, you are falling quite far from your goal of less noise.

EDIT:

Running your water cooler fanless is way less dangerous and PITA than knowingly blasting your pc components with moisture. Depending on the radiator size it takes a while until the heat capacity of water gets saturated.

And another idea, low airflow is way better than none, so you can add a couple of noctua fans that run at low to medium rpms, that add absolutely no additional noise to the system while greatly amplifying the cooling capacity.

You can probably run a 280/360/420mm radiator with noctua fans at no risk. 
Other possibility with possibly less noise would be to find the most massive noctua heatsink with a huge fan and run that at low rpms, it would have no pump noise.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Just build additional dampening to your case. Indirect intake where you minimize the amount of sound bouncing out of the case and if you make the front intake something like 20cm thick, you should get decent airflow through it as well.

The coolers I have in mind use a rather large cooler -- the kind you would have at a tailgate party for instance -- so much more ice capacity, therefore, much longer cool time before re-upping.

The idea here is more to provide supplemental cooling with cold air if/when fans must be deactivated for noise needs (as in recording / streaming via microphone). However, I personally think it would be a better idea to place the machine in another room with extension cables for any connections, as they are commonly available for USB, DP, HDMI, etc.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

36 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

low airflow is way better than none, so you can add a couple of noctua fans that run at low to medium rpms, that add absolutely no additional noise to the system while greatly amplifying the cooling capacity.

Basically just run them as fast as possible while having noise be = or lower to the noise floor of your room, in that case they wouldnt make any extra noise. Better than a jank icebox

Btw this is not the 1920s and there are more advanced technologies that will work better than iceboxes like a/c, heck if you had a powerful enough pump you could watercool your pc and run the tubing to another room so its basically dead silent, ofc at that point youd need a powerful aquarium pump cause no pitifull overpriced pc pump is capable of running really long tubing, and when you go aquarium pump then fk it might aswell use car rads and antifreeze to save money on more important things since you wont even be seeing it anyhow

Yeah, all that taken into consideration, I agree, or just put the machine itself in another room away from the the microphone. It was just a thought, as I thought the cooler ambient air into the case might help performance.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

could also move the wc to a diffident room i mean thats kinda the point of it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

10 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Yeah, all that taken into consideration, I agree, or just put the machine itself in another room away from the the microphone. It was just a thought, as I thought the cooler ambient air into the case might help performance.

Cooler ambient would a little help, but not enough. So moving it out of the room would be much more beneficial, and as you said, it is totally possible.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

you should never make a pc cooling component go lower than 18-19 degrees or something.. due to condense buildup that will follow tubes and reach your components... 

i've tested this in big scale for a server room... with ice water.. it had to go through an exchange to stay at 20.. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

I figured as such. Was just a thought. Maybe dry ice might be different, but that's just more trouble than it's worth, methinks.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!