What resources do you use for your IT job?

StarsMars

I'm looking to gather a list of good resources that are useful in IT roles

We all use google constantly

Virustotal.com is a good resource

What are some sites that you use?

ninite.com

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

10 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Totalvirus.com is a good resource

Typo? Because that domain is for sale.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I think it depends on what you mean by "IT role". 

Is it just general tools for troubleshooting or making your life easier? Is it for work? Is it for helping friends and family? 

I got an Ubuntu live cd and a bunch of portable apps on a USB stick. It is pretty handy whenever someone has issues or I need to use someone else's computer. It got programs like Firefox, notepad++, IrfanView, LibreOffice, PuTTY, WinDirStat and WinSCP on it. 

55 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think it depends on what you mean by "IT role". 

Is it just general tools for troubleshooting or making your life easier? Is it for work? Is it for helping friends and family? 

I got an Ubuntu live cd and a bunch of portable apps on a USB stick. It is pretty handy whenever someone has issues or I need to use someone else's computer. It got programs like Firefox, notepad++, IrfanView, LibreOffice, PuTTY, WinDirStat and WinSCP on it. 

Really anything that you use personally or professionally that relates to IT.

So if you use a flash drive with PuTTY on it. That's a perfect example.

Ideally I'd like to put a list together of sites, tools and tips that anyone can refer to.

I use Hiren's Boot CD PE - It's a live CD with most of the tools you will need

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

An actual helpful one for anyone that's working in softw dev and handles JSON objects

https://quicktype.io/

Extremely helpful. Discovered not long ago. Converts JSON objects into complete classes/properly declarations in your language of choice. Love it.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

As a hobbyist programmer, Stackoverflow, documentations and other websites which provide how-to's for something, are stuff that I use regularly.

And sometimes a library is so old I have to go to some weird reddit page to get the syntax for the commands, or someone's blog where someone very kindly posted their project.

Yeah, basically DDG and Google which bring you to all this stuff. If DDG doesn't do it, copy the search text, F6, @google ctrl v.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Well my job the resources aren't something you can google, we have our own internal system we can use to find out information on common errors and potential fixes, otherwise we work with each other if we need a second set of eyes or someone with more experience

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

A lot of things aren't available on google for me as well, but we have a GitHub Instance, Jira, artifactory, custom built tools, new relic, splunk. I use google/stackoverflow for some things coding related, but observability tools are what we use the most. 

Note: My Job title is site reliability engineer

• 2 weeks later...