Thermal pad vs goop/thick paste on Alienware M15

jm_bmw

Hello everyone,

I recently got a second hand Alienware M15 and the thing just overheats, even after a cleanup/repaste...

The i7-8750H uses 70-80W while on boost and isntantly gets to 95-100C on the cores, throttling down to 3.5-3.6Ghz (from 3.9 all core)

The 1070MaxQ uses 85-90W, doesn`t seem to thermal throttle -keeps 1450-1500Mhz clock- but easily gets to 85-90C and 98-102C on the hotspot when in pair w the CPU/gaming.

I have all thermal pad sizes from Thermalright (12.8w/mk) and a large tube of Noctua`s NT-H1 thermal paste so I was checking fitment and contact several times. I found out that the heatsink is not perfectly flat and on some places -like the vram on the left- were not even making contact, confirmed it was an out of factory issue since those vram had a shinny white writing on them (like brand new) while the other ones w contact were darker. 

So what I did was to use extra pads/paste, first picture is the testing method (little dots of thermal paste to see what is contacting or not) and second is how I mounted, but as I said temperatures are about the same... maybe because there is more components making contact w the heatsink now...

I was thinking to order a new heatsink, but would like to try a thick paste or goop first, that way I know for sure that everything is making contact and that there is no pads to prevent a good cpu-gpu mount.

What are you guys experience w those, does it worth a try? whatelse could I do? are those M15 models know for being that hot?

wDDZtO1.jpg

Maahe1b.jpg

SK9OJ0D.jpg

13700 . B760 . 32GB 6000C32 . 1TB+2TB M2 Gen4 . RTX 3080 . 55Q80A 4K@120Hz

The overheating is by design. This was an issue at launch. No point in ordering a heatsink becayse you'll just get the same one with the same issues.

This laptop is the design when a 7700hq + 980m were the best and even those were running VERY hot. Add 2 more cores to that and well boom there goes the heatsink being overloaded..

Clean the vents and heatsink fins with high pressure stuff,

Often dust gets stuck in there and overheating occurs.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

The overheating is by design. This was an issue at launch. No point in ordering a heatsink becayse you'll just get the same one with the same issues.

This laptop is the design when a 7700hq + 980m were the best and even those were running VERY hot. Add 2 more cores to that and well boom there goes the heatsink being overloaded..

Ouch, well thanks, good to know... the weird thing is that I was comparing with this review from 2018:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-m15-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.374921.0.html

On the review, cpu/gpu were around 84/74C so I wonder if something is wrong w my setup... but another strange thing is that the 8750H from the review used a maximum of 65W (reported on HWinfo screens) while mine uses a whole 75-80W... I wonder if there is something behind that...

52 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Clean the vents and heatsink fins with high pressure stuff,

Often dust gets stuck in there and overheating occurs.

Yes I did open the fans casing and cleaned everything properly, no dust leftovers.

13700 . B760 . 32GB 6000C32 . 1TB+2TB M2 Gen4 . RTX 3080 . 55Q80A 4K@120Hz

3 minutes ago, jm_bmw said:

Ouch, well thanks, good to know... the weird thing is that I was comparing with this review from 2018:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-m15-i7-8750H-GTX-1070-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.374921.0.html

On the review, cpu/gpu were around 84/74C so I wonder if something is wrong w my setup... but another strange thing is that the 8750H from the review used a maximum of 65W (reported on HWinfo screens) while mine uses a whole 75-80W... I wonder if there is something behind that...

Yes I did open the fans casing and cleaned everything properly, no dust leftovers.

This laptop can run in a locked and unlocked mode. Unlocked well enjoy overheating and lowered performance. Locked it's borderline ok but the back has to be lifted up.