When you set fan curve to vertical, does your cpu fan spin up instantly? or gradually?

ubrokeit

my cpu fan spins up too slowly and gradually, taking 15-20 seconds to spin up to max rpm,  even though my fan curve looks like attached below.

When you set your fan curve like this, does your cpu fan spin to the max instantly?

My board is a MSI Z690.

asdfasdf.jpg

Is it still slow when you set minimum RPM to 10%? 

What options do that Manual Fan tab give you?

Is that official MSI software? It looks…basic. Have you tried MSI’s official fan control software?

11 minutes ago, ubrokeit said:

my cpu fan spins up too slowly and gradually, taking 15-20 seconds to spin up to max rpm,  even though my fan curve looks like attached below.

When you set your fan curve like this, does your cpu fan spin to the max instantly?

My board is a MSI Z690.

asdfasdf.jpg

It depends on the ramp rate. Sometimes you can exit this, sometimes you can’t. If you can, it’s an amount of time for the setting to fully take affect, which basically means if set to say 5, it will take 5 seconds to go from previous speed to new speed and will slowly ramp up over that 5 seconds. 

So, this is somewhat normal. Fans ramp slowly like your experiencing so it’s not as horrible an experience on the used. Slower noise changes are easier on your ears. Erratic rpm changes are extremely annoying. 

Also, I wouldn’t recommend a fully setting 0 rpm for a cpu, and would also not recommend going from 0 to 100. If your just trying to test how the system responds to changes, sure. But that wouldn’t really be a typical setup… likely always want your CPU fan spinning even if only at say 5-600 rpm. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

yes, this is official msi software.

It sounds like MSI gimped the bios.

as shown in this video, the ramp rate is 0.1 second. But the fan does not spin up that fast.

When I do video encoding, the cpu temp quickly jumps to 100c because the fan can't speed up fast enough.

I like to keep cpu fan at 0 rpm for quietness and minimum dust in heatsink.

55 minutes ago, ubrokeit said:

yes, this is official msi software.

It sounds like MSI gimped the bios.

as shown in this video, the ramp rate is 0.1 second. But the fan does not spin up that fast.

When I do video encoding, the cpu temp quickly jumps to 100c because the fan can't speed up fast enough.

I like to keep cpu fan at 0 rpm for quietness and minimum dust in heatsink.

Such fans will bi inaudible even at like 20-30%. Just set it to that as the minnimum RPM singe with 0 RPM, your heatsink will have soaked up with heat afer a bit therefore the spikes to 100 degrees. Even the small 92 mm fan on my dell G5 is not at all audible at 30% but on 60% it gets clearly audible. That fan also spins from 0 rpm to its max in like 10 seconds or so

interesting. 

so would you say most motherboards do not allow the cpu fan to ramp up very fast?

I think there should be the option to allow cpu fan to ramp up rapidly, if user chooses.

or you can set a gradual fan curve for slower ramp up.

This is the first mobo I've had that allows me to adjust the fan curve. My last mobo was from 2009

you guys are right

the bios says the step up rate is 0.1s, but it actually ramps up at 1.0 second.  The bios is fukt

look at the green stepped line to see how slowly it spins up under full cpu load....

1176642848_Screenshot2022-03-03190819.thumb.jpg.23a3d2589c85ec10d53f1b1aea974052.jpg

Here’s my curve, & the option to set the “Temperature Interval” to prevent or enable abrupt speed changes when temps change.

image.thumb.jpeg.a382fc54ec3a400cedebb65f0553d79b.jpeg

This software actually override’s the BIOS fan curve settings, which for me is handy, as I prefer to change fan curves in Windows rather than the BIOS.

Maybe your BIOS version’s buggy or there’s a conflict between it & that MSI software.

Try uninstalling the latter I reckon & see if your BIOS settings ‘stick’. If they do, then the MSI App was the issue - download a different version to see if it works.

both bios and software behave the same.

they're both slow to ramp up. It's just how MSI coded it, it looks like.