Guessing time: Would a "Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim" be sufficent to cool the upcoming AMD Ryzen 5800X3D?

maximumzero

Hey guys and gals, here's a quick, easy question.

I'm currently using a Ryzen 5 3600 in a Lian Li TU150 case along with a Dark Rock Slim CPU cooler. (I had originally attempted the Shadow Rock 3 CPU cooler, but the design of the motherboard I'm using made clearances difficult. I'm considering moving up to the 5800X3D at some point in the future as a last gasp of relevance for the AM4 platform.  Will I be able to continue to use my Dark Rock Slim cooler or should I go for something beefier?

The Dark Rock Slim is rated for a 180W TDP, so on paper I should be fine, but I know that TDP is kind of a mess in general depending on manufacturer. I'm not particularly interested in water cooling, and even If I were, the TU150 only has mounts for a single 120mm fan for intake and another for exhaust, so I'd be limited to 120mm radiators, which seem to actually perform worse than air cooling solutions.

If I had the guts I'd go whole hog on the Dark Rock Pro 4, but I have a real fear that working around it for fan headers and such is going to be a real pain--it was already enough of a pain with the aforementioned Shadow Rock 3 for the short period I had it, and the Dark Rock Slim isn't a whole lot better. But never say never I guess.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I’m just keeping my 5800x cool enough with a 360AIO. I’m also going to say no. 

This overview suggests that the be quiet Shadow Rock slim can just about handle the 5800X

The dark rock slim is a better cooler than the shadow rock slim, so i think based on these results that the dark rock slim would do just fine. And since you already have the cooler you should test yourself to see how it does anyway.

Also my roommate is using a Wraith Prism with his 5800X and it's keeping it cool, which is quite a bit smaller than these coolers.

26 minutes ago, maximumzero said:

If I had the guts I'd go whole hog on the Dark Rock Pro 4, but I have a real fear that working around it for fan headers and such is going to be a real pain

You could opt for the smaller Dark Rock 4 inst of the Pro, or even find a used Dark Rock 3 online. I used that cooler in a build back when Intel had those big and hot i9 CPUs on their X299 motherboards. Does a real good job.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

You could opt for the smaller Dark Rock 4 inst of the Pro, or even find a used Dark Rock 3

They're not much better than the DR4 Slim. 

The DR4 Slim should be fine unless the 5800x3d is dramatically harder to cool than the 5800x. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, Fasauceome said:

This overview suggests that the be quiet Shadow Rock slim can just about handle the 5800X

The dark rock slim is a better cooler than the shadow rock slim, so i think based on these results that the dark rock slim would do just fine. And since you already have the cooler you should test yourself to see how it does anyway.

Also my roommate is using a Wraith Prism with his 5800X and it's keeping it cool, which is quite a bit smaller than these coolers.

You could opt for the smaller Dark Rock 4 inst of the Pro, or even find a used Dark Rock 3 online. I used that cooler in a build back when Intel had those big and hot i9 CPUs on their X299 motherboards. Does a real good job.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, WoodenMarker said:

They're not much better than the DR4 Slim. 

The DR4 Slim should be fine unless the 5800x3d is dramatically harder to cool than the 5800x. 

Thanks for your responses

Unfortunately the "motherboard check" feature on the Be Quiet website says I may have RAM clearance issues with the Dark Rock 4, and I dunno if I want to play the return & exchange game. That just leaves the Dark Rock Pro 4, the Dark Rock TF2, and the Dark Rock Slim out of Be Quiet's "Dark Rock" lineup.

The TF2 is neat but I like the idea of the tower cooler lining up with the exhaust fan out of the back of the case, so that's out.

Maybe someday I'll get the testicular fortitude to jump in on the Dark Rock Pro 4, but I may as well see how the Dark Rock Slim fares first.

Edit: Also not thrilled at the idea of pulling off and replacing the cooler I have now for that matter. I felt like I had to really strain to get the bracket down to the point where I thought I was gonna break traces on the motherboard. I wonder if the screws they included with the bracket were accidentally too short or something.

And of course I'm always second-third-quadruple guessing myself on thermal paste application, but c'est la vie.

For 5800X I would recommend Thermalright FC140.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

For 5800X I would recommend Thermalright FC140.

If I'd be willing to go for something that big and expensive I'd just go for the Dark Rock Pro 4 I mentioned in the opening post, honestly.

36 minutes ago, maximumzero said:

If I'd be willing to go for something that big and expensive I'd just go for the Dark Rock Pro 4 I mentioned in the opening post, honestly.

Whatever floats your boat 🙂

Had to pull the CPU out of my personal PC to update the BIOS on another motherboard that I was putting together for a family friend and I was reminded how much it sucks having to work around the CPU cooler. I noticed a bent fin on the heatsink and I dunno if I did that this time or a previous occasion. Hopefully it doesn't hinder performance too much.

gZEXSez.jpg

With as annoying as this is, I couldn't imagine trying to work around something like the Dark Rock Pro 4 unless you plugged in all your devices and then installed the cooler last, which I'm not a fan of.

Not sure if a Dark Cock Pro will fit into that space.

• 2 months later...

So now that the 5800X3D is on store shelves (in spirit anyway) any updated thoughts on this?

7 hours ago, maximumzero said:

So now that the 5800X3D is on store shelves (in spirit anyway) any updated thoughts on this?

The 5800X3D runs lower clock speeds and is easier to cool than the 5800X. Cooling it with a DR Slim would be fine. 

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/05/19/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-vs-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-a-cache-value/9/

https://www.techspot.com/review/2449-amd-ryzen-5800x3D/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.