hy does everyone want to install Windows on the Steam Deck?

Dragonwinged

Seriously, Windows 11 looks like a steaming pile of crap. And based on a prvious poll I posted which went on way longer than I expected, many of you seem to agree. So why are all these tech reviewers saying they cant wait to install windows?

Because you can tune/change things to however you prefer..
You can change how Windows 11 looks and feels, so why wouldn't people use Win11 and just tweak it to their tastes.

PC is all about that choice.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Number one

Windows 10

Number 2

As much i cant find that post i feel it may be a bit incaurate

You have tastes other people have tastes you dont overrule each other

Who says it has to be Win11? Win10 is still an option. I didn't order the device, but if I did, I'd imagine I'd want Windows 10 so I can run basically any Windows games I want.

Remember all the hate when Win10 came out, and everyone said they'd stick to Win7? I wonder how many still do. Win11 isn't that different from Win10, and in time it will happen.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Simply because not everything people want to do/play will work on SteamOS at least for a while.

7 hours ago, Dragonwinged said:

Seriously, Windows 11 looks like a steaming pile of crap. And based on a prvious poll I posted which went on way longer than I expected, many of you seem to agree.

Your poll was made months before release, so any answers it would have gotten would have been the usual "emotional" responses that weren't based on anything tangible.

Just moved my 5th and last Windows machine to 11, and would you know it they all just work...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 hours ago, Dragonwinged said:

So why are all these tech reviewers saying they cant wait to install windows?

• Software/Game Compatibility
  • No performance hit from having to use in-development Translation Layers and re-compilers
  • Familiarity.

As a Linux user who refuses to use Windows for multiple reasons and hardly games, as well as uses a similar Environment to SteamOS, this thing should be great as is.

You are however not going to convince the majority of the PC Gaming Community that a system being marketed as a Portable Computer can't play something like Valorant or use something like Microsoft Office, especially when the option to just Install Windows is made available.

On 2/27/2022 at 3:33 AM, Dragonwinged said:

Seriously, Windows 11 looks like a steaming pile of crap. And based on a prvious poll I posted which went on way longer than I expected, many of you seem to agree. So why are all these tech reviewers saying they cant wait to install windows?

I imagine a mixture of familiarity and finding it interesting to use hardware for things it's not developed for and will be unoptimized for? That's why LTT did the video over 5 years ago trying out gaming on Windows Server.

Because as already said , familiarity, option to play *all* windows games, use of other apps. Hell, I would install windows 10 on my phone if it was an option , im kinda sick of google/android and 99% of mobile apps suck tbh (would probably need emulation for browsers tho, because windows browsers kinda suck in return lol) 

ps: it will be interesting to see comparisons how "optimized" the steam deck OS/however they call it will be tho. If theres an advantage to be had ppl might not even switch. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

reason for running windows on the deck from what i've observed: stubbornness, fanboyism and That One Game that doesnt run on steamos.

reason for running windows 11 specifically: this still stumps me... android apps?

I might tinker with Windows once a dual-boot is available, but honestly, especially given that my work is all done under Linux, and it's trivial for me to have a go-bag of tools set up on any Linux device, Linux is just a better choice for me to keep on it.

Then again, I've been using Linux for quite literally over half my life now, so even digging into the nitty-gritty of it doesn't bother me.  But Windows might give me something fun to try out, so there's that.