I updated bios via internet

iSea

I was recommended to do so and had no idea the risks until afterwards, im 30 minutes in and the same thing as when i started black screen, red cpu light and that it (fans and rgb is on) anyways what do i do? Is it stuck and wont get out or will waiting bring something out of this? Using the x570 prime pro motherboard

Wait what? How do you update your BIOS over internet, would you elaborate please?
AFAIK the only way to do it is through a USB stick or Windows program (or floppy/CD if that age)

Edit: Ah it's a thing some manufacturers have. Seems like a stuck BIOS update. Does it have flashback features to restore the old BIOS? If not, don't power off yet

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Wait what? How do you update your BIOS over internet, would you elaborate please?
AFAIK the only way to do it is through a USB stick or Windows program (or floppy/CD if that age)

Asus ez flash

1 minute ago, iSea said:

I was recommended to do so and had no idea the risks until afterwards, im 30 minites in and the same thing as when i started black screen, red cpu light and that it (fans and rgb is on) anyways what do i do? Is it stuck and wont get out or will waiting bring something out of this? Using the x570 prime pro motherboard

That board doesn't have a flashback feature to undo mistakes which is why you have to be careful how you update bios. any particular reason for the update? really shouldn't update bios unless you have to, to save the headache. 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Does it have flashback features?

It does not

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Just now, MrMcMuffinJr said:

That board doesn't have a flashback feature to undo mistakes which is why you have to be careful how you update bios. any particular reason for the update? really shouldn't update bios unless you have to, to save the headache. 

It does not

I wont do it again but didnt know before, i updated because it wasnt working? I dont really know why i was just told it was a solution to my problems

1 minute ago, iSea said:

I wont do it again but didnt know before, i updated because it wasnt working? I dont really know why i was just told it was a solution to my problems

did it ever show any indication that the update was making an attempt? like a loading bar?

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

did it ever show any indication that the update was making an attempt? like a loading bar?

Nope empty/black screen my monitor even turned off in a sense

Just now, iSea said:

Nope empty/black screen my monitor even turned off in a sense

I wonder if it just crashed before update could flash the bios chip? think so @Mel0nMan?

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

I wonder if it just crashed before update could flash the bios chip? think so @Mel0nMan?

Btw during this process i had no storage in since storage in =no boot into bios, someone told me to try putting my m.2 back in so just did that now, nothing changed

7 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Likely so. Why I would recommend updating from a physical medium, rarely goes wrong unless you pull it out

3 minutes ago, iSea said:

Btw during this process i had no storage in since storage in =no boot into bios, someone told me to try putting my m.2 back in so just did that now, nothing changed

Wait how did you flash over network with no storage? It may have needed that. 

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Ill try powering off then on then, it never said i couldnt so i just did it, idk how, now i broke it, nothing turns on except ram 😭 nvm after turning off the psu and then back on im good

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

usual network operations like that utilize memory. just like PXE booting

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

usual network operations like that utilize memory. just like PXE booting

So atm after putting my m.2 in while it was on i turned of my pc turned it back on and only ram lights were on, next turned off the power, turned it back on (psu) and turned on the pc then i got the boot screen but can boot which is what happenes everytime i put in the m.2

Just now, iSea said:

So atm after putting my m.2 in while it was on i turned of my pc turned it back on and only ram lights were on, next turned off the power, turned it back on (psu) and turned on the pc then i got the boot screen but can boot which is what happenes everytime i put in the m.2

cool. now try again but with USB rather than network

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

cool. now try again but with USB rather than network

Cant thats why i did it with the network in the first place, ill be able to later today so ill just wait until then, thanks for the help guys ill come back if anything goes wrong in that process

Corrupted bios isnt the end of the world, if theres no other way then theres always desoldering the bios chip and reflashing it on a bios programmer, though i think resoldering is gonna be the hard part, not to mention having to do it twice unless you got an spi socket for the bios programmer

If you run out of options and have to go this route then i suggest a cheap bios flasher like the ch341a, bios test clips do  exist but unreliable asf, you can try it though incase it may work for you

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Corrupted bios isnt the end of the world, if theres no other way then theres always desoldering the bios chip and reflashing it on a bios programmer, though i think resoldering is gonna be the hard part, not to mention having to do it twice unless you got an spi socket for the bios programmer

If you run out of options and have to go this route then i suggest a cheap bios flasher like the ch341a, bios test clips do  exist but unreliable asf, you can try it though incase it may work for you

I think my bios turned out fine, someone told me that my m.2 is faulty since im unable to go into bios with it in but that also may be because i dont have a screw to put it in properly (i was just using my heatsink to keep it in place) i also need to get to redo my windows usb later today, i should have everything done by the end of the day if im lucky enough