You think it's a big step-up from 25W to 45W charging? - You might be wrong!

HenrySalayne
53 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

The only sure takeaway here is to avoid these "testing" sources in the future, since they don't do a decent job at showing the full picture and context for results, which makes most results meaningless or even worse: misleading. Even if the result was valid and real, ... since we just don't know. And there certainly is enough false and / or misleading information around that gets treated like a fact.

The opposite would be true. As long as nobody showed that 45W charging is real, it's just a meaningless claim.

Even worse, you create edge case scenarios as the entire basis for your argument with a total of zero sources pointing in this direction. There are no other sources showing a different picture! An already toasty battery is a valid suggestion, but in the grand scheme an incredibly unlikely scenario across this range of tests.

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I'm saying that there isn't really adequate information given in the article.  They don't mention running 3 test, they only mention doing a test using 3 different chargers.

What I am also suggesting is that we don't know how they ran the tests and depending how they run things it could drastically different.

Again, as I've mentioned, the sammobile one showed a 6% difference after 20 minutes.  So it's why I'm saying it's important to know how the testing methodology was.

They run at least 5 tests across at least 2 devices.

Nevertheless - if the 45W charger would be driving 80% more power into the phone compared to the 25W charger,  the phone would be at 70% after 20 min, not 45%. A lead of 12% for the 45W charger is just insignificant. Compared to to the S21 Ultra with the 25W charger it's even smaller.

If you write 45W charging as a key feature on your website, it's better not just 28W charging (at best).

5 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

. Then they could implement a software feature which keeps track of when you usually stop using the phone each evening, and sends a notification slightly before which reminds you to plug it in.  Then we wouldn't need all this "fast charging" stuff.

That sounds extremely irritating 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

17 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Even worse, you create edge case scenarios as the entire basis for your argument with a total of zero sources pointing in this direction

In your sources you literally have 2 articles that are effectively stating 2 different results (one at 7% after 30 min and one at 1% after 30 min.  With only a 1% change from 20 min to 30 min in one source).  That is quite contradictory data and one that pretty much says further investigation is needed.  Discrepencies between having 6% to 1% in 20 min is the biggest point that you seem to be missing is a major issue in at least one of the testing parameters.  *And if you claim is that the battery % isn't accurate that there is that wiggle room, then the methodology of the article would still be wrong...in that they should be trying to run it down after they have charged it...like go from 0% charge for 20 min and then run a stress test to see how long the phone will run*

Also, it's not an edge case.  I can get my phone down to 0% charge by running some really power hungry apps and it will heat up the phone a lot...to the point that charging is limited.  It's why it's important to know how they tested thing.

21 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

They run at least 5 tests across at least 2 devices.

And if you are going to say this, I am going to say quote your source.  The article itself doesn't say the testing methodology (in both articles you posted).  If you are referring to the fact that they used an S22 ultra and S22+ (and one different charger on the ultra) then you are sadly mistaken in thinking that it should count as them running 5 tests across 2 devices.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

@wanderingfool2

Please feel free to quote me if you have any concrete sources. One article was published 1 week ago, the other one 3 days ago. This is plenty of time to do a test which would in any form support your hypothesis. You can draw your own conclusion why this hasn't happened.

If you sponsor a set of 25W and 45W chargers, I will happily redo the tests to your suggested methodology. 😉

31 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

@wanderingfool2

Please feel free to quote me if you have any concrete sources. One article was published 1 week ago, the other one 3 days ago. This is plenty of time to do a test which would in any form support your hypothesis. You can draw your own conclusion why this hasn't happened.

If you sponsor a set of 25W and 45W chargers, I will happily redo the tests to your suggested methodology. 😉

You were the one that made claims that they run 5 tests.  You seem to be taking what me and @Tech Enthusiast say and just ignoring the valid concerns regarding any methodology.  You keep saying we are creating edge case scenarios and yet are completely missing the whole point that you can't accurately tell whether or not the article is or isn't accurate.  The case and point, you have 2 sources that state 7% and another one that states 1%.  That is well beyond testing differences at that stage.

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

Ok but... this is the charger Samsung sells, are you saying they sell chargers that don't work correctly on their phones?

Not at all. Just as everyone else has pointed out there are variables here that aren't listed, or accounted for. These chargers aren't just charging at 5Vs and different current ratings to achieve the listed wattage. If you charge these ~4 volt batteries (just throwing out a random number, didn't look it up) at 12 volts they will charge differently than they do at say 9 volts, or 5 volts for that matter.

55 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The case and point, you have 2 sources that state 7% and another one that states 1%.  That is well beyond testing differences at that stage.

None of them mention air temperature, phone temperature nor air conditioning... I bet one was either in a colder climate or with AC on, while the other was not.

8 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

You were the one that made claims that they run 5 tests.  You seem to be taking what me and @Tech Enthusiast say and just ignoring the valid concerns regarding any methodology.  You keep saying we are creating edge case scenarios and yet are completely missing the whole point that you can't accurately tell whether or not the article is or isn't accurate.  The case and point, you have 2 sources that state 7% and another one that states 1%.  That is well beyond testing differences at that stage.

You are completely missing the validity of these numbers. Important is the relative difference and the expected difference. And that's 12% at best (in one edge case) while we would expect 80%. Because the variance of all these test is much smaller than the deviation from the expected value, it's almost impossible a statistical error has shifted the picture.

Which only leaves systematic errors. As you all mentioned, the only real culprit in this case could be a smoking hot battery. This assumes that these devices are unable to dissipate enough heat and mainly use their thermal mass to buffer the heat from the charging. But we know the mass of the device and the thermal capacity of it is too small (~ 150 J/K). So it needs to dissipate a good portion of the heat for 45W charging. Even if we assume a hot battery as a starting condition in all (!) the tests, this would lead to only two conclusions:

- the device is only capable to dissipate heat for 25W charging and will reach it's thermal equilibrium with this amount of power. 45W charging is only a small boost until the phone overheats because the thermal capacity is saturated --> it's not 45W charging capable

- the device is capable of dissipating more heat than for 25W charging, which means in the 20 min test it should charge a little bit slower with a pre-heated battery, but we should still get a significant difference to the 25W charging. --> even with a hot battery we would have seen a significant difference

This leaves us with:

Statistical errors and systematic errors are to small to explain the deviation to the expected value. If these numbers have not been maliciously manipulated, 45W charging is not there.

17 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

And that's 12% at best (in one edge case) while we would expect 80%.

No. "We" would never expect that because that is not how charging works at all.

You are the only one expecting this, totally ignoring all the physics behind this.

There is a reason the fast-charging phones (100w and up) use two batteries to get these speeds.

There is also a reason the first 50% of charging go by MUCH faster.

There is also a reason the first 10 minutes of charging are even faster than that.

And there is a reason all the tech outlets promote NOT using fast charging, to not grill the battery.

The mentioned "tests" seem to ignore all that and just pretend the same nonsense you are pretending.

You could make a 2000w charger, and it would not go any faster, due to physical limitations. A 7% or 12% gap in charge is accurately what would be expected with a jump from 25w → 45w. And a 1% gap is precisely what would be expected with an overheating battery. Fast charging is meant to help with short bursts of power need, and never to fully charge a phone all the time. It even says so in all the paperwork on every smartphone I have bought in the past 7 years (even before that, but I can't check anymore).

Ignoring all that, ... I still don't understand why you are happy to trust a test that omits all the needed information. Ignoring the topic at hand, this seems like (sorry) a very dumb approach to about anything in life. Don't you want to know context? Don't you want to know WHY something shows up as X, rather than Y?

A Porsche is driving exactly at the same speed as a VW Golf. This is also a true statement, but without context it can mean just about everything, ... the implied meaning of "a Porsche is not faster than a golf" is simply wrong. But missing context still implies that, ...

6 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

You are the only one expecting this, totally ignoring all the physics behind this.

Please crunch the numbers and tell me then, what we should expect going from 25W to 45W charging. There must be a significant difference going from 0% to 60% and it's not there. If you think a mere 12% difference (at best) is enough to call it 45W charging, you're redefining the meaning of words and units.

16 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

A 7% or 12% gap in charge is accurately what would be expected with a jump from 25w → 45w.

I don't think "accurately" means what you think it means. How do you get to these values? What are the calculations or sources?

18 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Ignoring all that, ... I still don't understand why you are happy to trust a test that omits all the needed information. Ignoring the topic at hand, this seems like (sorry) a very dumb approach to about anything in life. Don't you want to know context? Don't you want to know WHY something shows up as X, rather than Y?

A Porsche is driving exactly at the same speed as a VW Golf. This is also a true statement, but without context it can mean just about everything, ... the implied meaning of "a Porsche is not faster than a golf" is simply wrong. But missing context still implies that, ...

I just calculated that the thermal capacity of the phone is not enough to explain the measurements under the starting condition "the battery is toasty". I explained the variance of the dataset compared to the deviation from the advertised and thus expected values. From a scientific point of view there is nothing wrong with these tests.

On the other hand, we have people with ideas and opinions they cannot back up with any numbers.

The only thing that could still save the marketing claims of 45W charging would be malicious intend by the testers and manipulating the environment for the testing. Is it that what you are implying? That these tests were manipulated to make Samsung look bad?

35 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

And a 1% gap is precisely what would be expected with an overheating battery.

So why is it overheating? Malicious intend by the testers or bad design by Samsung? You see, if the phone can't charge with 45W for more than e few seconds because the battery overheats, it's not 45W charging,

Please feel free to scroll back to the first post and take a closer look at the things Samsung wrote in their key feature list. They wrote: "a single, superfast 45W charge gives you more than a full day of power". You will not get a full day of power from 15 seconds of 45W charging, I can tell you that.

11 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

So why is it overheating? Malicious intend by the testers or bad design by Samsung?

We don't know because the testers don't give the needed information to judge that. Exactly the issue I am calling out the whole time. Not enough context to get a meaningful picture.

29 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

We don't know because the testers don't give the needed information to judge that. Exactly the issue I am calling out the whole time. Not enough context to get a meaningful picture.

Oh no, you are right. Tester would totally write "we did our testing on a hot plate with 50°C to make sure the battery won't be able to be charged with 45W". A damn shame they left this part out...

What could they possible (non-intentionally) have done? It's not a hot battery to start with, we've been over this. So what else?

27 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Oh no, you are right. Tester would totally write "we did our testing on a hot plate with 50°C to make sure the battery won't be able to be charged with 45W". A damn shame they left this part out...

What could they possible (non-intentionally) have done? It's not a hot battery to start with, we've been over this. So what else?

uh... yes.

Thats the normal thing to do. 
And when did we go over it not being a hot battery to begin with?

Especially when results are not expected, you then dig and do follow up experiments. like hook up an oscilloscope and start logging voltages over time. 

8 minutes ago, starsmine said:

And when did we go over it not being a hot battery to begin with?

Just calculate it yourself.

13 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Especially when results are not expected, you then dig and do follow up experiments. like hook up an oscilloscope and start logging voltages over time. 

Which voltage(s) would you probe?

Since they did not state what their procedure was, we just don't know. No idea how that is not clear?

It could be a 30min cooldown time, no cooldown time, ... hell, they could have put a torch to the phone before each test for all we know. 

They don't let the readers know, so that is fishy. Usually, if you don't state HOW you conduct a test, you can expect an agenda behind the results. Nowadays, that is fine enough for some folks, as this debate prooves. It does not seem to matter if a result is valid, just that it is written down, without the need to know how it came to be.

Really unsure what is there to debate here. No context has been given, so the results are up for random interpretation / useless. If that is enough for you, be my guest. If you don't understand why context matters, there is nothing I / we could say to change your mind anyway.

2 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Since they did not state what their procedure was, we just don't know. No idea how that is not clear?

It could be a 30min cooldown time, no cooldown time, ... hell, they could have put a torch to the phone before each test for all we know. 

They don't let the readers know, so that is fishy. Usually, if you don't state HOW you conduct a test, you can expect an agenda behind the results. Nowadays, that is fine enough for some folks, as this debate prooves. It does not seem to matter if a result is valid, just that it is written down, without the need to know how it came to be.

This seems to be sadly the same story we already saw with Anthony's M1 Pro and M1 Max testing. People were unhappy with the results and questioned every little bit of the methodology to a ridiculous degree. What if the ambient temperature was 40°C? What if the phone was already smoking hot before they did the test? And the final thought comes to "they must have an agenda and manipulated their results or they would have talked about all these things".

It's really sad that independent outlets get all this bad talk from people who never did any testing on their own but have the "it's flawed" excuse for everything they don't agree with.

It's been one week. No other tests have emerged which would support your criticism and debunk these two tests. Maybe we can just be content that somebody took the time to place a phone on a table, charge it up with different chargers and stopped the time. Because somebody made that effort, now we know the 45W charger is a waste of money and one of the advertised key features wasn't even weak to begin with but is just not a feature at all.

If it is so easy to please your curiosity, I envy you. Really do. Wish my world was this easy.

Just because no one else bothers to test something that should be obvious... the one person that does, MUST be correct, no matter what he says. Amazing logic. 🙂

Guess we can end this now. Enough time wasted.

42 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Enough time wasted.

At least we can agree on something. 😉

45 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

If it is so easy to please your curiosity, I envy you. Really do. Wish my world was this easy.

Just because no one else bothers to test something that should be obvious... the one person that does, MUST be correct, no matter what he says. Amazing logic. 🙂

Did it occur to you that you could contact the authors of these articles and ask for additional information on this subject? Being curious and having a set and strong opinion about something seems to be quite contradicting.

18 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

None of them mention air temperature, phone temperature nor air conditioning... I bet one was either in a colder climate or with AC on, while the other was not.

What I meant by the statement though was that on one site you have 7% delta from 25W to 45W, and on the other site you have 1% delta.  If the AC was on or a colder climate, both "tests" if they were fair should see roughly the same delta.  Given a major difference in the delta between two people testing the device; one can conclude that it's not a statistical error but rather one of the sites made an error in their testing methodology (or there is something else going on).

10 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

You are completely missing the validity of these numbers. Important is the relative difference and the expected difference. And that's 12% at best (in one edge case) while we would expect 80%. Because the variance of all these test is much smaller than the deviation from the expected value, it's almost impossible a statistical error has shifted the picture.

No, if you can't figure out that at 20 min charge a 6% difference can mean a whole lot then that is your inability to recognize that sometimes people want fast charging because they realize their phone is out of juice right before work and only have 5-10 minutes to charge their phone...having a few extra % is the difference between it lasting 7 hours vs 8 hours.

It really bothers me that you think that GSMArena must the be accurate test because they did "5 tests" which they didn't (they only testing 5 scenarios, but that only counts towards it being a single test).  The fact is their 1% delta seemed fishy, and given there was another reporting 7%; it's calling into question their methodology (and that they didn't list how they ran their tests).

4 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

It's been one week. No other tests have emerged which would support your criticism and debunk these two tests.

If you are going to at least make this claim, at least take 5 seconds to google it.  Oh and guess what, I'm right.  GSMArena must have messed up their methodology.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra-45w-charging-tested-heres-how-fast-it-is

Toms Guide found a 9% change at the 30 minute mark.  So yea, the one you quoted the one that stated 1% is wrong...and here's the hint.  If an article is discussing how there is "outright misleading" (only article to mention it) and they literally got their testing wrong...well lets just say I don't put much weight in the rest of their quotes from that point onward.

So yea, it's like what me and @Tech Enthusiast have been saying all along, the numbers don't mean much without knowing the testing methodology; and given the other sources on the net it's clear that GSM was completely wrong in their testing.

It also brings me back to what I was saying; the use case for the quicker chargers is that you can charge your phone for 5-10 minutes and be further ahead than a 25W charger by multiple %.

An example, https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra the screen time for 100% charge running video with 75% screen brightness was 13 hours 35 minutes (815 minutes, or 8.15 minutes per %).  Assuming a linear scaling from 0% - 46% (which appears to be the case...it's the 20 min mark); that would mean the following

image.png.f56a506ad3eb43d0b622ea48e88976cc.png

So yea, 45W charger vs 25W chargers can make a massive difference for someone who only has the limited time to charge.  To the extent that 10 minutes of charger adds an extra 24 minutes to video playback.  For a decent amount of people I know, getting that extra 15% state of charge in a quick top up is crucial.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:41 PM, Doobeedoo said:

It's so weird and lame at the same time. Funny how most selling brands Apple and Samsung have the slowest charging speeds. Come on now. Do better.

"Do better" is what Samsung and Apple are doing. The responsible thing to do is do slow charging since it dramatically increase the lifespan of the battery. 

Although you could argue that they shouldn't push or advertise 45w charging if that's the case. 

Something I'm wondering is what throttles the charging speed. Is it the phone or charger? Does another 45w charger charge the Samsung phone faster than the Samsung charger? 

Edit: Should have read the rest of the thread before commenting. There is nothing wrong with the charger and multiple other review outlets are reporting results that are in line with what you should expect. 

33 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

"Do better" is what Samsung and Apple are doing. The responsible thing to do is do slow charging since it dramatically increase the lifespan of the battery. 

Although you could argue that they shouldn't push or advertise 45w charging if that's the case. 

Something I'm wondering is what throttles the charging speed. Is it the phone or charger? Does another 45w charger charge the Samsung phone faster than the Samsung charger? 

Edit: Should have read the rest of the thread before commenting. There is nothing wrong with the charger and multiple other review outlets are reporting results that are in line with what you should expect. 

Arguable though, I have a S6 that is 18W charging and battery is so bad it's like 2/3 of it's original capacity now. Around once a day charge on it, just few years, got it like 2y after release. I've seen better from other phones. There are tests from various chinese models that retain capacity better than that on their much faster charging. Obviously battery tech improved, especially with faster charging in mind, doing dual-cell and better cooling. Heat is the issue as well as how battery is built too. Both improved over time.

Can always make it a choice for a user, yes need to design circuitry and battery around it, but it's well worth it. Removable battery would be great to see in general though...

What throttles the charging speed it's phone really, monitoring it's temps of battery and checking it's percentage, slowing towards going to full capacity. I mean afaik charger determines charging speed, obviously device circuit needs to be designed for it, to accept such, so entire chain needs to do the so called handshake to work. Really same wattage class chargers should charge the same if it's not some difference in power standards, if both chargers are say USB PD should be same, vs like QC for example which is proprietary tech. 

So in short, from what I've seen from various brands and people with fast charging phones over years, their battery capacity is still good, really even better than older phones with slower charging that I've seen been used over years. Again, heat is a big problem and as long as phone is cooled properly no big worries, but yeah still lithium-ion battery in it self still degrades over time it's just how it is. It can depend more on persons use, if they're charging multiple times a day, keeping battery maxed regularly and prolonged, or fully depleting every time. I'm not a battery scientist, but from what I've read and experienced charging between 20%-80%, topping it only when you will unplug and start using your phone, leaving it idle for longer around mid charge capacity, not allowing it to fully deplete and stay. Obviously maybe not be overly compulsive, battery and due to it's nature still degrades over time, but yeah. From everything, for someone who keeps phone for longer, I'm not worried about faster charging phones to degrade my battery faster. Because it kinda comes down to being hit or miss or around similar. 

Can wish for swappable battery but probably not anymore. We'll see how solid-states batteries do in the future. At least on paper they're looking very promising.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

So yea, 45W charger vs 25W chargers can make a massive difference for someone who only has the limited time to charge.  To the extent that 10 minutes of charger adds an extra 24 minutes to video playback.  For a decent amount of people I know, getting that extra 15% state of charge in a quick top up is crucial.

A slight improvement is still far away from "a single, superfast 45W charge gives you more than a full day of power".

I did not say there is no difference, I just said there is no significant difference, which still holds true. (for a small subset of people every little bit might be important - but they are also the target group for this advertisement which makes it even worse!).

We are not comparing apples and oranges here. It's Samsung's own 25W charging versus their claimed 45W charging and it's far from 45W.

And I was trying to tell you all this time that even if the testing conditions were suboptimal in the aforementioned two test, the gap would be still way too small compared to the marketing promises. And now you found another test once again proving that point.

So - still no 45W charging on Samsung devices, the search continues.

(BTW, thanks for the link, I will add it to the first post).

3 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I did not say there is no difference, I just said there is no significant difference, which still holds true. (for a small subset of people every little bit might be important - but they are also the target group for this advertisement which makes it even worse!).

Having an extra 15% juice is not a trivial amount and can quite literally make quite the difference.  A stage where adding 6 hours charge with a 25W charger it would now add 7 hours.  It would be more than a small subset of people who it would affect.  Multiple people I know have ran out of battery and had to scramble to find a charger while on video calls/phone calls.

3 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

We are not comparing apples and oranges here. It's Samsung's own 25W charging versus their claimed 45W charging and it's far from 45W.

And 25W chargers don't charge at 25W above a certain charge percentage (as slow as a 10W charger).  The whole point is it gives you a burst of charging speed.  You can't take the numbers linearly.

Fast charge that lasts all day and more

With an all-day battery and superfast charging, an single, superfast 45w charge gives you more than a full day of power

That was Samsung's advertising says.  It's not in anyway really deceptive.  "Fast charge that lasts all day and more" - Clearly talking about a battery that lasts all day.  It lasts 13 hours playing video on a full charge...I would say that the claim it lasts the full day is more than adequate.  Their marketing also specifies how long it takes to hit approx 50% in the best case scenario...which is more than a fair advertisement.

At a certain point, you can't really expect companies to spoon feed their customers.  Yes, they mention 45W charging, but guess what it can make a difference.

I am surprised nobody has posted this yet:

Here are the end results if you don't feel like watching the full video:

Untitled.jpg.2e3d917c200f8a434efcd1791e3791d5.jpg

You should watch the video though, because they go into more details and measured the wattage running through the cable.

So in essence, the 45 watt charger works. It's just that the difference isn't that big. 

Also, if you want a very quick and shallow primer on smartphone charging, here is a good Twitter thread about it that everyone should read:

Andrei have made a ton of great posts regarding batteriers and charging on his twitter for those interested.

OPPO's 40 watt SuperVOOC charger will degrade your battery health down to about 70% health in the same span a 15 watt charger would degrade it to around 90% health (Tweet), around 600 cycles.

Here is a tweet regarding a test an Italian website did where they tested 255 cycles of 65W charging, and it degraded the battery health down to 85%.

And as Andrei said:

And if you want to know the fastest charging you might want to actually use, Andrei rates that at 1C (so 1 hour to fully charge).

For the 3700mAh Galaxy S22, 1C means ~14,3 watts.

The 4500mAh Galaxy S22+ charging at 1C is ~17,5 watts.

The 5000mAh Galaxy S22 Ultra is, like the Pixel 6 Pro, a 5000mAh battery at around 3.88 volts, so around 19.4 watts charging.

It's of course okay to fast charge your phone every once in a while, but I think Andrei's "don't do faster than 1C" is for your everyday charging, like at night, if you want to keep your battery healthy for as long as possible.

7 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

At a certain point, you can't really expect companies to spoon feed their customers.  Yes, they mention 45W charging, but guess what it can make a difference.

I'm puzzled. When Ryzen 3000 launched people were outraged that some processors fell short by 2% compared to the advertised boost clock. A dumpster fire of epic proportion broke loose because of a teeny tiny difference without any noticeable implications. And now some people are celebrating that Samsung only missed their marketing claims by 31% (total, 70% relative to 25W). What a time to be alive!

7 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

And 25W chargers don't charge at 25W above a certain charge percentage (as slow as a 10W charger).  The whole point is it gives you a burst of charging speed.  You can't take the numbers linearly.

Oh yes you can. And it's trivial. If the 25W charger reaches 25%, the 45W charger has to hit 45% (or at least something close). If this would be the case, we would not have this conversation. As it stands right now, the best case recorded is just one quarter of the advertised improvements. What a joke.