What AIO for a threadripper 3960x?

BelviGER
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,
3 minutes ago, BelviGER said:

Wait so the cooler doesn't need to cover the entire IHS?

The heat spreader is there precisely to collect the heat, so as long as some part of it is being cooled it'll get heat away - but obviously not ideal.

I just really couldn't be bothered in a case I won't look into, ever 

Then just slap some quick flexible tube instead?

So I have an aorus trx40 extreme with a 3960x. Originally planned to have it watercooled with a hardline system (and had the water block installed already), but now it gets used for something else and I don't want to build a diy cooling system for my plex server that won't be seen.

So I went online, found the corsair icue h150i rgb pro xt that according to all important websites is compatible to strx4. It arrives, and I have no clue how it's supposed to cool this thing, the cooling pad doesn't even cover the entire CPU.

Then I tried installing that coolermaster air cooler, but I'd have to remove 6 out of 8 of my ram sticks.

So back to the AIO. Am I remarkably incompetent, was there a change with the aio where I might have gotten old stock with the same sku, or is there something else I'm missing?

I really hope it's my stupidity, cause I'm getting kinda close to just deciding that I don't need a homeserver 

If i need to get a different aio, please give me something exact to look for so i wont have ordered three wrong coolers for this

20220222_185633.jpg

Edited by BelviGER
Forgot last sentence

So the H150i can cool the 3960x, it just isn't ideal. As far as I know, there's only one AIO being made that is actually designed to work with the parking lot that is the Threadripper IHS, but it has issues with corrosion so you shouldn't use it. 

Personally, I'd just use the H150i, it'll cool it well enough since it's only the 24 core, and spending any more money at this point is kind of a bad idea. Custom Watercooling is the ideal scenario for Threadripper though, since the blocks are so much better than anything else you can get. It's just that for the 24 core it isn't really that necessary.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

So the H150i can cool the 3960x, it just isn't ideal. As far as I know, there's only one AIO being made that is actually designed to work with the parking lot that is the Threadripper IHS, but it has issues with corrosion so you shouldn't use it. 

Personally, I'd just use the H150i, it'll cool it well enough since it's only the 24 core, and spending any more money at this point is kind of a bad idea. Custom Watercooling is the ideal scenario for Threadripper though, since the blocks are so much better than anything else you can get. It's just that for the 24 core it isn't really that necessary.

Wait so the cooler doesn't need to cover the entire IHS? I expected that to be just a single level better than having no cooler at all, so not usable for the real world

All the other threadrippers we have around here are in hardline tubing, two of them in the thermaltake distro case, and for the future builds there are loads of waterblocks ready.

Wait so the cooler doesn't need to cover the entire IHS?

The heat spreader is there precisely to collect the heat, so as long as some part of it is being cooled it'll get heat away - but obviously not ideal.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Originally when this whole ordeal started I just wanted to do a quick setup and I didn't have anything for soft line watercooling there. No pump, no reservoir, no soft lines or fittings for soft lines. 

And so it never even came to my mind to go soft line. Also in part because my family hasn't used soft line watercooling in probably half a decade, it's either aio or hardline.

Thank you I'll run it like this then, man what an end to what has been a way to long endeavor that started out with me just wanting to turn an older pc into a replacement for my qnap that got hacked.

The NH-U12S TR4-SP3 should be plenty for cooling already. Did you specifically need an AIO?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

57 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-U12S TR4-SP3 should be plenty for cooling already. Did you specifically need an AIO?

I like aio and didn't know yet what a pain it would turn out to be for me, and then I went with the coolermaster cooler because i thought THAT would be the one that should totally work in a fully stocked board, and when that didn't work I was a bit hesitant to try another air cooler out of fear of it interfering with ram.

That's the one thing that's consistent across aio (as long as these aren't route stupid), they don't interfere with ram too much 

3990X is the one with all chiplets. Those smaller ones should fit under the regular aio.

9 hours ago, BelviGER said:

I like aio and didn't know yet what a pain it would turn out to be for me, and then I went with the coolermaster cooler because i thought THAT would be the one that should totally work in a fully stocked board, and when that didn't work I was a bit hesitant to try another air cooler out of fear of it interfering with ram.

That's the one thing that's consistent across aio (as long as these aren't route stupid), they don't interfere with ram too much 

The NH-U12S TR4-SP3 heatsink clears the ram and the fan can hang slightly over it. 

What case are you using? If it's the Distro case mentioned, there won't be enough clearance for it and an AIO would be better. 

The H150i Pro XT should be fine. 

The ML360 Mirror TR4 would be a better overkill option if you wanted proper coverage: https://geizhals.de/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360-mirror-tr4-edition-mlx-d36m-a18pk-t1-a2510945.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.