How mnay people game on PC and console?

irishbeast

I've not had a console for ages. Had a ps4 when it launched but sold it shortly after cos I needed the cash. Luckily I am not poverty stricken any more and have 2 gaming PCs, both are decent. 

I miss the simplicity of a console some times but would never give up on PC gaming for obvious reasons but am considering selling one of my gaming PCs, using the money to upgrade the other to something pretty sweet and also buying a ps5. I currently have  a gaming rig at mine and also my girlfriends but am thinking of flogging the one at hers and replacing it with a ps5.

I just wonder if anyone else has a pc/ps/xbox combo and how they feel about it. Does the console feel like garbage compared to the pc or is it still pretty impressive? Space is a bit of a factor at hers sot he ps5 might be a better choice. I was doing some mining on the machine but that seems pointless at the moment and so would like to sell it and give someone a chance to have a decent pc at a reasonable price. Won't be ripping people off. I will charge less than I paid for each component. Not sure how much to charge but am more concerned with whether I will be gutted going back to console gaming. I suspect not but I would like some opinions. 

Machine potenitally for sale is a ryzen 3600, rtx 3060ti, 16gig 3000mhz ram, b450m board,  2 gig SSD. So much better spec than the ps5 on paper I believe. 

Does anyone play on both and if so how do you find it? Would be good if I could play games cross platform but not sure is thats posisble. So play far cry for a qwhile on pc, then on ps5 then back to pc. I don't know if thats supported or not. 

Thoughts on  a postcard please

S

7 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

Thoughts on  a postcard please

image.png.41a629b82f2ea63618804c96502b39b1.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Ha - Good one!

I just age my switch away cos I never actually play on it. Only time I ever played on it was in the airport which was hardly every so gave it to one of her kids. 

I used sed to love my psp, but the vita was crap. The steam handheld that LTT reviewed recently looked interesting but thats about it.

GFs kids always want to play games with my but they are young and most games I have other that Forza and Fifa involve violently mutilating people which is far from ideal!

Tempted by the ps5 as I could prob sell my GPU alone and buy the digital edition. Recently got a nice new fast BB connection so downloading games is not as much of an issue as its would have been

I've played with both consoles, and PC's for  long time. I'd say about 80%/20% in favour of the console at the moment (PS5 and before that, PS4 PRO). 

Graphic-wise I've never seen a huge difference between PC's and Consoles. If there is a noticeable difference during gameplay, I don't see it. Or care...
I mainly play story driven games, so 120+ FPS and mouse/KB- controls isn't an issue. I enjoy both ways to play, but usually the couch and large screen wins. 

I've gone the PS5 route, because I can't see any reason to buy an xbox, if you have a gaming pc. 

4 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

I just age my switch away cos I never actually play on it.

I used sed to love my psp, but the vita was crap. 

I have a Switch too. Can't find a single game I enjoy playing on it 😄

PSP is brilliant. Vita? It's ok. Great emulation machine. Vita game selection was a bit crap...

PC and Switch Lite 
Didn't have a console for a long time (PSP was last before that; That was a good console) 
Most games for the big two, outside a few exclusives, are on PC, so I find it hard to justify the cost of those. Plus I have no TV, and switching monitor inputs is annoying 
Meanwhile the Switch Lite gives me a good selection of games that I don't get on PC. And taking it outside, or even just lying down on my couch with a good game is a nice experience.

Yes.  But old consoles.  "Newest" console I own is a Wii.

I'm an old-school gamer.  I've always preferred gaming where you had to type fast to insult people or you got headshot.  To this very day, I will automatically look scornfully on you with disdain and a sense of moral superiority if you are someone who uses a mic.  Mic was cool for about 5 seconds, until every 13 year old pre-pubescent, voice-cracking, adderall-riddled, energy-drink-addled punk started using them...in which case I was like:

1 hour ago, irishbeast said:

Ha - Good one!

I just age my switch away cos I never actually play on it. Only time I ever played on it was in the airport which was hardly every so gave it to one of her kids. 

I used sed to love my psp, but the vita was crap. The steam handheld that LTT reviewed recently looked interesting but thats about it.

GFs kids always want to play games with my but they are young and most games I have other that Forza and Fifa involve violently mutilating people which is far from ideal!

Tempted by the ps5 as I could prob sell my GPU alone and buy the digital edition. Recently got a nice new fast BB connection so downloading games is not as much of an issue as its would have been

If you don't quote people, most people wont get a notification that you replied. I preordered a Steam Deck just because it'd be a nice change up from Nintendo games on long flights. I grew up on Nintendo, but you can only beat Pokemon in so many different ways before you need a new game.

The PS5 has me tempted as well for GT7, but I can't justify buying a console just for that one game. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

PS5 and a PC here!

I used to do only console gaming, switched to mainly PC (only played exclusives on console), and now play everything on my PS5/OLED besides competitive games or PC/Xbox only games.

If I had to choose just one though, it'd be my PS5. And my play history supports this. I have hardly played an hour of Steam games this month, but I've played many hours on my PS5.

I enjoy sitting down and playing something. And I think this is a great video to show why I've leaned back towards console gaming. 

I jump between console and PC, depending on what's the best value each generation. Right now PS5 is killer value at $500 so it's my go to gaming platform while my scrub PC (Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 1660 Super) is more for playing stuff like visual novels and emulation for games I want to play in Japanese (Playstation is terrible when it comes to playing US releases in Japanese). Last gen my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 970 was great value so PC was my go-to gaming platform, though I had a PS4 for Sony exclusives too by the second half of the gen. Before that I gamed on 360 mostly after how poorly my high end PC from 2002 aged. Gamed almost strictly on PC in the PS1 and PS2 gens since PC fps were so amazing at that time. And so on.

I have a PS5, XSX, and Switch. I didn't really intend on getting a PS5, but I ended up trading for one. Mostly play my XSX and PC right now. Been replaying the Mass Effect trilogy on Legendary Edition. Not sure who signed off on the auto aim on ME2, but its been brutal. My first playthough was on PC and I don't remember having this much difficulty landing biotic abilities. Even ME1 which was brutal pre Legendary Edition wasn't this bad.

Regardless, current gen is the best state that console gaming has been in for quite some time. I like it for its simplicity. I don't have time to fix issues with games on PC anymore. Even looking at the PC gaming section on this forum, a majority of the posts on the first page are about issues with games. I still prefer to play most shooters on my PC despite its issues.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I was a PC only gamer for about 25 years before I got a PS4 Pro in 2017, after that I pretty much completely switched over to console though I did build a decent gaming rig (5600X + 3070) a little over a year ago so I'd have the option to play on PC if I wanted. Of course there's also games that are much better played on PC anyway like Stellaris or Crusader Kings. 

I've just come to appreciate the simplicity of console gaming, you just install the game and start playing. No need to spend any time tweaking settings to get the best experience, at most you have to choose between better graphical fidelity or better framerate.

I mostly play on PS4 and PS5 though I also have a Switch and just recently got a PS3 as well. Also got an Xbox 360 but that's not in use atm.

Very interesting responses! I think my decision has been made about my future gaming. Think I will ditch one of my gaming PCs and use the funds to buy a ps5 and also upgrade the current rig.

I am really impressed by the gaming ability of Geforce now on the nvidia shield. Yes its 1080p (well my package anyway) but perfectly playable. Been playing far cry 6 and its fine. Only gripe is that it hasn't synced with my cloud save games so would have to start it again. Put my way back in the game but was decent for sure.

I saw an article about a gold membership that would give you 3080 power/4k etc which sounds interesting. Even heard a rumour that with the new CB2077 patch it will run it in upscaled 4k!

Good point about the displays raised by someone. ps5 will be fine on my living room telly as it can only do 60hz. I have a 2k 165hz display for my gaming PC which is nice. So undecided about whether to get a projector, 4k display or stick with what I have. If money wasn't an option I would just buy them all!

interesting how many people loved the PSP. Are they not going to release a new version. I know they sort of did with the vita but it was a massive let down. Small catalogue, visually not much better etc. They nailed it with the PSP. If a handheld with ps4 power could be built I think they would be on a winner. Not sure if its even in the pipeline!

Good times to be a gamer. I reckon the GPU shortage is coming to an end. I can buy them quite easily now in the UK. Above MSRP by about 30-40% but 6 months ago it was more like 100% more, if you could even source one. 

One thing I should say that makes me look a bit stupid in some ways is that I know that keyboard and mouse is ten times better for FPS game but I just prefer using a gamepad. Good for Forza horizon and fifa etc but I don't play them loads. Cant just kick back on the sofa with a keyboard and mouse in hand. Certainly wont be investing an a £1000 chair that my fat ass will break the first time I jump on drunk!

8 hours ago, irishbeast said:

interesting how many people loved the PSP. Are they not going to release a new version. I know they sort of did with the vita but it was a massive let down. Small catalogue, visually not much better etc. They nailed it with the PSP. If a handheld with ps4 power could be built I think they would be on a winner. Not sure if its even in the pipeline!

Disagree, Vita was super impressive graphically. Getting an OLED in 2012 was insane. What killed the Vita was the stupid overpriced proprietary memory cards. No idea why you'd release an expensive to produce console and then discourage people from buying games on it by price gouging a storage medium that offered no benefits over cheap microSD cards. But this is the same Sony that put a ridiculously expensive cpu more at home with scientific computing in the PS3 and then wondered why third party games looked and ran like shit on it vs the 360.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Disagree, Vita was super impressive graphically. Getting an OLED in 2012 was insane. What killed the Vita was the stupid overpriced proprietary memory cards. No idea why you'd release an expensive to produce console and then discourage people from buying games on it by price gouging a storage medium that offered no benefits over cheap microSD cards. But this is the same Sony that put a ridiculously expensive cpu more at home with scientific computing in the PS3 and then wondered why third party games looked and ran like shit on it vs the 360.

Oh Sony.  You split off from Nintendo to make your own gaming console--because you didn't like proprietary cartridges.  Oh the irony of MemoryStick and all the other proprietary storage formats that Sony has....

I took the plunge and bought a ps5 yesterday.

I have to say I am really impressed with what I am seeing so far. Only have played the new spiderman briefly and CP2077 demo also. Playing on my 4k living room telly and visually its stunning and so smooth and fast as well. I guess its easier to design games for s standard device as opposed to every combination of PC part, so in some ways it does look better to the naked eye but not as sharp as the RTX cards I have. Will be interesting to see how it fares when I plug it into my 2k high refresh monitor.  

Definitely worth the money. I paid a little over the odds but not much. Was brand new so all good. Its not visually just as as good as my PC but the simplicity is very refreshing and the controller is superb. 

Games are pretty expensive so will have to choose carefully. I already have a lot of the top titles on PC so not paying for them again (Forza 5, Far cry 6, CP2077, Fifa). 

Can definitely see me spending equal time on the two. 

I've gamed on both for as long as I can remember. I used to be mainly console, but of course there were some games I played on pc (NFS Underground, Enter the Matrix, etc.) Nowadays it's definitely both. There are some great console titles out there, but there are also great titles out there that can run way better on my pc... and the first person games are ones I mainly play on my computer (mouse & keyboard).

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, I have a gaming PC (Ryzen 5 and RTX 3060), I have 2 switches (the original and the OLED), I have ps4 pro and ps5, and I have all the old Nintendo consoles from the original through to the Wii U. 

I just like games I guess. 

Most of my friends I game with are on ps5 but I'm slowly getting one friend to think more seriously about a gaming PC. 

Games I really like like Dying Light I have both PC and PS5,.. and Switch too actually. 

I do tend  to get a lot of the same games on PC and PS5 though, but I like the higher frame rate and HD quality of the PC versions. 

i play on both, i got like 8 different consoles over the generations and i got a pc. For me it depends on the game, sports and racing titles even some rpgs i prefer on console. They play well, and i can sit back on my couch and play on my 4k tv. Other games like mmos or mobas, or Bethesda's games given the modding capabilities  or shooters/fps i prefer pc. Certain games i have bought in both places or played. Quite honestly unless you got some super high end pc, the difference these days visually is so minimal on current gen consoles. The thing your missing is graphics settings you can adjust ofc but for me both are fine. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

In my mind the only advantages consoles have over PCs are the upfront costs, the controller first UI and the exclusives. I have a Switch for Nintendo's exclusive which obviously I'm into given my choice of avatar. And I probably do the majority of my gaming on Switch. But I also have a PC connected to my TV with a wireless KB/Mouse, an XBox controller and a huge backlog of games on Steam

If I wasn't into Nintendo's exclusives I'd be PC only

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

11 hours ago, DesolationGod said:

i play on both, i got like 8 different consoles over the generations and i got a pc. For me it depends on the game, sports and racing titles even some rpgs i prefer on console. They play well, and i can sit back on my couch and play on my 4k tv. Other games like mmos or mobas, or Bethesda's games given the modding capabilities  or shooters/fps i prefer pc. Certain games i have bought in both places or played. Quite honestly unless you got some super high end pc, the difference these days visually is so minimal on current gen consoles. The thing your missing is graphics settings you can adjust ofc but for me both are fine. 

Totally agree with all of this!

I have decent PCs but when I bought the ps5 I was impressed by how good the visuals were. Not on a par with my 5900X/3070 gaming rig but not miles off and I have yet to notice any frame loss/tearing on ps5 whereas I get a little on the PC in some games but that could be the monitor. 

Was gutted that I bought monitor without HDR (was in another thread) as I think it makes a difference. My 4k tv has HDR and looks ace. 

Gran Turismo 7 is awesome visually. A high end PC would be proud

3 minutes ago, Roland Thompson said:

I play most often on PC and Switch Lite.

I gave away my switch recently. Although its a bit of fun I'm just a bit of a graphics snob!

Hearing good things about the steamdeck but will probably cost a fortune and be impossible to get for a year! Someone has probably already worked out how to mine on the bloody things! 🙂

I like the Switch a lot but I don't play Mario/Zelda for the graphics. Even though the new Mario and Zelda games look fine to me. But they're exclusive to the system so I don't mind buying the system. 

Steamdeck looks very interesting and I'd be curious enough to get one once the bugs are ironed out. 

1 hour ago, Ultra_Kaiju said:

I like the Switch a lot but I don't play Mario/Zelda for the graphics. Even though the new Mario and Zelda games look fine to me. But they're exclusive to the system so I don't mind buying the system. 

Steamdeck looks very interesting and I'd be curious enough to get one once the bugs are ironed out. 

Truth.  I care about graphics...if I'm not playing Nintendo stuff.  Nintendo is the only console where I will just enjoy myself--rather than focusing on how dated the graphics look.