A wedding proposal Idea

You are forgetting the fact that females are a cluck of materialistic chickens.. an out of date pc wont do in 10 years time!

She isn't a material girl. She rides motorbikes and horses. Drinks more beer than me and likes doing up old cars or furniture. She has one ring at the moment 1 necklace (isn't a pearl one) and a bracelet. We look after our kids first and we come second. The day she say i spent $30 0r more on makeup i would pass out as it would be extremely rare.

I think you should put the ring in the PC.

That's not bad, actually.

Use a sticky note widget or something on the desktop that says to "Check [insert location here]" so she can find the ring. Making a new build be the focal point doesn't seem all that special and the password idea seems more suited for "Will you go out with me" more so than marriage. If you insist on adding a new build element, be more special and not make the PC the focal point. If my girl got me something expensive that I needed, I'd be grateful, but that wouldn't exactly stand the test of time. It's a here and now material thing.

OK well i knew the chick from a long time back, school era. She was flerping gorgeous and i always wanted to get with her but obviously (being on this forum) i was a bit of a nerlinger. Time wove on and we led our lives, it ended up anyways that we got with each other and after a few dates i took her to this huge really breathtaking lake. I pretty much took her there to tell her that i was leaving Ireland for OZ to find work (im a welder). She told me a similar story until we sorta broke down and opened up about the love and all what not. We stayed in ireland for a while until we both decided to come to Canada (where we live now). She didnt know but the weekend before we left my family had a leaving do. So i bought a small token (a silver neclace with a ring shaped pendant encrusted with diamonds so it looks like an engagement ring) and had it in my pocket. 

Weekend of our leaving party i said i wanted to go for a walk, took her there, took her to the pier we declared our love and presented the token. You dont need to buy the ring right there sir, sometimes its better you dont!! Hell of a story!!

On the background image a picture of the ring she wants but inside the case i did.

As i said at the start the background would be a picture of the ring inside the case. so when she opens the case the ring is there.

I was going to record my progress and update it. then record the proposal and put it all on youtube as its different from the norm. also i would be on my knee beside her pretending to be helping but actually being the proposal stance while she read it.

I'VE GOT A BETTER IDEA! IT'S CRAZY BUT IT JUST MIGHT WORK

Build her a PC with the theme of her favorite color. Get a monitor, any is okay. Set it to a diamond ring as a background. Then CUT the monitor out and put the ring where it's supposed to be like it is on the background. Wait for her to use the computer and then she'll realise her computer doesn't work and realise you proposed.

I AM TOTALLY SANE!!!11!!!!111

I cant believe you guys are so geeky you didnt even nod to my heartmelting story! pah!! lol

It is a nice story and was great for you. But if you think i am going to propose next to a toilet bowl ( she was vomiting very ill not drunk) when she first told me she loved me is not my idea or romantic.

@SmirGel <3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Having recently proposed i have a few opinions. First off ignore the haters above saying marriage is gay or what not. Its a very nice idea man but building an item that will inevitably go out of use and fashion is a bad idea. Your idea is fucking brill, but what about in 10 years time? You want something timeless that will melt her every time she sees it, and in 5 years if its something that will run dungeon keeper 95 that WONT be the case. 

Pick the first place you said you loved each other, or pick a special place and lay some fromage on it. Females thrive off fromage. :) If you want to hear my story ill spill, but do it right sir its once or never!

Nobody said marriage was gay, only you did.

All of those guys saying the PC will be obsolete in a few years, wth? Look at Linus - he still has that Silverstone TJ07 case he got from his wife and it must have been 3-5 years since he got it from her. @Mightybaal is putting the majority of the effort into the design/modding of the case itself - that is the component of the build that will pretty much last forever as long as you keep it around. 

I think it is an extremely thoughtful idea. Spending all that time to make the case and set everything up for her to see is what she will appreciate and remember most. Your time is the most precious gift you can give to anyone, and like you said if she knows enough about PC building to admire a good setup when she sees one, she will definitely love it.

If you could put the ring or something else in the CD drive that would be pretty cool :) Or the idea someone earlier mentioned with the ring being illuminated by LED lights sounds really nice. You could probably prop it up on the GPU. But make sure it's inside the box - you don't want it shorting out the back of the board! :P

Btw good luck, you sound like you have a really happy family and I'm sure even if you decide not to propose you still will be.

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

That is really creative, ^_^ you should totally go for it! Girls love it when you're creative, plus it brings a little of your personality to the proposal. :)

That's actually a pretty cool idea^^ 

It's different and will probably be more of a surprise.

Just take her out for a nice dinner afterwards too.

(And not to bash marrage or anything.. But sign a prenup.. That'll save you a lot of trouble if things go south.)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

If she is above a 7 on the geeky level go for it!

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

That's actually a pretty cool idea^^ 

It's different and will probably be more of a surprise.

Just take her out for a nice dinner afterwards too.

(And not to bash marrage or anything.. But sign a prenup.. That'll save you a lot of trouble if things go south.)

Get out of here, Petyr... no one wants your advice on weddings.

;)

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

She isn't a material girl. She rides motorbikes and horses. Drinks more beer than me and likes doing up old cars or furniture. She has one ring at the moment 1 necklace (isn't a pearl one) and a bracelet. We look after our kids first and we come second. The day she say i spent $30 0r more on makeup i would pass out as it would be extremely rare.

That sounds like she is really simple and sweet as well as adventurous and not that boring kind...for a girl like that everything u can do is still less..but i think that u should do something that u personally feel like doing for her, bcoz that will only come from ur heart...all the ideas that people will give u here r theirs...u should do what u feel like doing from heart...that thing will surely impress her in different way bcoz she loves for the way u r...and the thing u will do will reflect ur feelings...so go on..best of luck... :)

Get out of here, Petyr... no one wants your advice on weddings.

;)

naaw... I was just about to suggest that the venue used for the wedding should be at the freys place.

The Lannisters do fantastic weddings. You can trust me on that  ^_^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

naaw... I was just about to suggest that the venue used for the wedding should be at the freys place.

The Lannisters do fantastic weddings. You can trust me on that  ^_^

Oddly enough, I heard the same of the Tyrells...

:ph34r:

:rolleyes:

:unsure:

<_<

But no.. I like your idea, OP. It's more creative than anything I would come up with, anyway.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Idea: Somhow make a ring come out of the pc.

(not sure how, disk drive or somthing?)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I cant believe you guys are so geeky you didnt even nod to my heartmelting story! pah!! lol

i salute what you did there.

It takes a lot of courage.

do it but tape it 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Thanks everyone will take all ideas into it and see what i can do plus record but it will be with my HTC so when it happens she won't be expecting it.