So I plugged my gpu in while my PC was running and SPARK...

Clever.Key

So, not experienced in GPU repair but this is one last futile effort before I shell out the money required nowadays for a GPU

I got this R9 390 for 100$ off of facebook two years back and it was working great. Recently I plugged it back in after doing some cleanup and a quick spark.

Now the GPU does boot, but it's like a safety thing, my Vram is like 10mb and it says the refresh rate is stuck to 1Hz. It's operable, looks and more or less looks like 60hz but I didnt think this GPU had such a failsafe. 

Is there a safety mode for this r9 390? Or did I blow some hardware piece and it's just being wonky.

My CPU (3600x) does not have integrated graphics.

7 minutes ago, Clever.Key said:

So, not experienced in GPU repair but this is one last futile effort before I shell out the money required nowadays for a GPU

I got this R9 390 for 100$ off of facebook two years back and it was working great. Recently I plugged it back in after doing some cleanup and a quick spark.

Now the GPU does boot, but it's like a safety thing, my Vram is like 10mb and it says the refresh rate is stuck to 1Hz. It's operable, looks and more or less looks like 60hz but I didnt think this GPU had such a failsafe. 

Is there a safety mode for this r9 390? Or did I blow some hardware piece and it's just being wonky.

My CPU (3600x) does not have integrated graphics.

I'm inclined to believe you broke something, and you're actually pretty lucky that it even somewhat works. It may be that you broke something in the PCIe instead (ar as well as) in your graphics card. Maybe it's fine and it's your motherboard that is causing problems; only way to find out is to try with another system.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

While the system is running or while its powered but not running? I have def had my gpu spark before cause p5q was being a bastard and thinking that the gpu is shorting so i kept wiggling it, my gpu still works completely fine but then again ats a 9500gt i use as a display adapter

Either youve fked the gpu or the gpu is just going mental retardation mode and you can fix it with afterburner

remove the drivers with DDU and reinstall

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

31 minutes ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Hot-swapping with consumer electronics is not a feature.

Well, hard drives. 

And I'll be honest, non-tech inclined people have interesting opinions on hot swap to say the least. One of my friends saw that video of Linus experimenting with that one motherboard that could hot swap pcie devices and assumed that it became a standard feature on every desktop for some reason.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

At this point I feel safe in saying you have bricked your GPU. The fact that you getting what little you do have is a outright miracle but beyond that you are better getting a replacement GPU at this point.

I would also prepare yourself for needing to get a new motherboard as well in case you managed damage something there as well.

Like a car you don't try to add or remove parts while the engine is running. Tends to cause damage and/or loss of life/limb.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Probably unrecoverable, but the fact that it works at all is kind of crazy, much less that it's apparently reporting 1Hz refresh rate.

In terms "on a wing and a prayer," I'm not sure if these are wings or prayers, but here's a list of more things to try.

• Run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) like the person above said, and re-install the drivers.
  • Assuming your motherboard has a second physical x16 slot, even if it's electrically x4 or x8, try it in there.
  • Clear CMOS.
  • Change your PCI-E speed to something slower in BIOS. Probably won't do anything, but, again, in the interest of whatever you can find to give it a kick in the butt as if it's a newly connected device in the machine. (I don't have high hopes for this one...)
  • Try a Linux boot USB or CD - see what it reports for refresh rate and VRAM. Then try to run something that will actually engage "3D Mode" on the card. If Linux results are positive and Windows remains crappy, I'm honestly not sure what the next steps would be.