bluray drive doesn't act as an optical drive with powered sata to usb adapter

gamagama69

image.png.e24a1fad9648bdbb291deef3beac2437.png

When I use this bluray drive on the adapter, I get a device that shows up as a scsi disk drive. Then, it disappears after a minute. I know this bluray drive works with direct sata to the motherboard, I tested that. My case doesn't have any 5.25 slots though so that's why I needed an adapter.

https://www.newegg.com/unitek-y-1099new-usb-to-sata/p/35G-00DP-00001?Item=9SIA2BP8Y85738

that's the adapter

This adapter works fine for my hard drive.

Does it just not support optical drives?

1 minute ago, gamagama69 said:

image.png.e24a1fad9648bdbb291deef3beac2437.png

When I use this bluray drive on the adapter, I get a device that shows up as a scsi disk drive. Then, it disappears after a minute. I know this bluray drive works with direct sata to the motherboard, I tested that. My case doesn't have any 5.25 slots though so that's why I needed an adapter.

https://www.newegg.com/unitek-y-1099new-usb-to-sata/p/35G-00DP-00001?Item=9SIA2BP8Y85738

that's the adapter

This adapter works fine for my hard drive.

Does it just not support optical drives?

Since you know the adapter works with a regular Hard Drive, it's very possible it doesn't provide enough power for an optical drive.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

quick look at the newegg page shows blu ray drives are supposed to work with it. are you using it with the power adapter? how many watts does your blu ray drive use? could also just be a fault with the adapter.

some of the usb to sata things dont work with optical drives. couldnt tell you what to look for to find one that will work with a bluray drive. i have a sharkoon one that's sata and IDE combo that works with pretty much anything.

7 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

quick look at the newegg page shows blu ray drives are supposed to work with it. are you using it with the power adapter? how many watts does your blu ray drive use? could also just be a fault with the adapter.

I have no idea. I should have checked that with hwinfo when I had it connected internally.

I am using it with the power adapter