Why have only GPU's taken a hit?

Rocketdog2112

Is it my imagination with the current chip shortage, that only GPU's (new or used) have skyrocketed in price while other items like new or used CPU's, ram and motherboards have remained at normal levels? Most even dirt cheap.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

There are many, many components in a GPU, not just the core. That's one of the issues. You also don't make money with any of the other components like you can with a GPU.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Is it my imagination with the current chip shortage, that only GPU's have skyrocketed in price while other items like ram and motherboards have remained at normal levels?

Motherboards, for the little silicon they do have on them, use much older process nodes that aren't really backed up. RAM is a completely different process, and it actually has gotten more expensive, just not by the same degree. Back before the shortage (Summer 2020) you could get a kit of 3600MHz CL16 for ~$60. That same kit today will be closer to ~$70-80. There's also the DDR5 shortages going on. 

CPUs were in short supply for like 3-6 months, it's just that they came back into stock since Intel has its own fab capacity so demand could be met. GPUs just haven't since both Samsung and TSMC are at capacity with on their GPU nodes. Also GPUs are being used for Crypto mining which is a big part for why there's so little available, because if you look at the numbers more GPUs are actually being produced than ever before, it's just that they aren't making it to consumers. Plus, other components like capacitors and GDDR6(x) have gotten more expensive because of the material shortages, so prices have gone up.

The main cause of the GPU shortage has been wafer availability. AMD uses TSMC 7nm, which is also used for Zen 2 and 3, as well as every PS5 and Xbox Series X|S that rolls off the line. There's not enough to go around. Nvidia is using Samsung 8nm, but Samsung has nowhere near the fab capacity that TSMC does, so supply is still constrained.

That alone doesn't answer why GPUs in particular have been hard hit. After all, you can still get Zen 2 and 3 CPUs, which are using the same node. That comes down to the die sizes. GPU dies can be 500mm² or larger, whereas AMD's CPU dies, for exampls, are around 100mm². The larger the die size, the less dies you can get out of a single wafer, and the more defects you end up with on the die, in general. You can sometimes work around those defects by disabling cores or such and selling a lower tiered product. Sometimes, the die ends up entirely rejected. In short, there's far more waste the larger you make the die.

Both Nvidia and AMD could sidestep these issues by making lower end cards that have smaller dies, resulting in both more available wafer and less waste, but they simply have refused to do so. The reason is fairly obvious: every 3080, 3090, etc. they mint, they sell. There's simply no value proposition in making cheaper cards right now. Therefore, supply remains constrained.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

It’s affected a lot more than consumer video cards. Beyond that it’s because of how these lithography fabrication plants production contracts work. There’s limited capacity and volume the facility can handle, everyone contractually has a certain amount they bid on to get the product manufactured. While intel has a lot of its own fabs, companies like nvidia, amd, apple, etc don’t, and go through others like the now very well known TSMC.

Further up that supply chain, when Covid hit, silicon source material mining, silicon refineries and first stage silicon foundries and processing plants all suffered massive worker shortages, government forced shutdowns, and to compound that even further the actual supply networks were hit with trade restrictions, commerce quarantines and depending on where these materials were coming from, usually border closures. 
Suddenly places like TSMC have a dwindling workforce, no supplies, and no way to get more supplies, no way to get their products out the door, and their contract partners all know this. 
Immediately there are bidding wars from every company involved trying to buy eachother out of limited capacity at the lithography plants, supply chains are barely holding together, the customer companies are throwing more and more money at the whole system to get their products out because the end consumers in the first world are still buying the same, If not more of their products, the plants can’t keep up, they’re swimming in money but it means nothing because they still can’t increase capacity with two decades of supply chain relations that just died on them, both metaphorically and literally.

Heres why certain stuff isn’t affected though, ram in particular or flash memory in general is a very different process that is spread out across way more companies all over the world. SK Hynix, Micron, Samsung, whatever, they’ve got contacts and contracts with everyone and anyone. As well the process for making something such as a DDR4 module is much less complex than current extremely dense lithography chip making.

Motherboards can be made in your own home if you had the right tools, the hard part about making motherboards is actually designing one, and that’s work that doesn’t require an office technically.  The on board components are fairly non complex and be sourced from tons of companies, if you really need to you can just recycle old boards and make new ones with them (see any aliexpress x58/79/99 motherboard).

We just watched the “putting all your eggs in one basket” idiom happen on a massive global technological scale. Over the past 20-25 years more and more companies have been trying to just outsource the production side of things to someone else, and the few Taiwanese fabs just kept taking everyone’s work and kept growing and then suddenly when something disrupts that, there is no backup.

Intel was mostly spared, they were just dipping their toes into the overseas fabrication market in companies to say, AMD and Nvidia which are 100% outsourced.

Miners have accelerated the GPU shortage by buying up most available stock right when great new cards were released after a generation of meh cards (2000 series). However those supply chain shortages are still prevalent across the world.

Mark my words, things are not getting better for a while.

My company (advanced lab equipment) is doing record breaking sales, yet starting to brick itself over actually manufacturing and supplying them. Across the patch supply constraints are hitting us across the patch. 

Why have only GPU's taken a hit?

because i keep buying them all

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately