can you go fully anonymous online?

adarw

i dont have anything to hide nor am i trying to do anything illegal, but i am curious, is there a way to go fully anonymous? if not, in what way can we go "more" anonymous.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

No.

At the end there are behavior pattern. One might even be able to match this profile to your anonymous dark net forum due to lingual analysis.

i kinda wish i had something cool like that XD, what if i used an algorithm that changes my word structure for different places?

-----------------

#

8 minutes ago, adarw said:

in what way can we go "more" anonymous

I feel a bit stupid, trying to explain something to someone with so much more experience on this forum than me 😄

I think the main fingerprint is the IP.

You can use a tunnel to act like you would be an IP from a different country, but the tunnel provider will know you.

The best thing, I can imgagine would be a free public wifi. The wifi router will only know your MAC address and if you buy a used notebook in person, no one will know, which MAC address you bought.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

11 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

I feel a bit stupid, trying to explain something to someone with so much more experience on this forum than me 😄

You can use a tunnel to act like you would be an IP from a different country, but the tunnel provider will know you.

The best thing, I can imgagine would be a free public wifi. The wifi router will only know your MAC address and if you buy a used notebook in person, no one will know, which MAC address you bought.

Every Website you talk to receives your Browser fingerprint though, which includes stuff like display size / resolution, processor, OS and Browser Version and depending on how unique your setup is, you could be identified through that.

20 minutes ago, adarw said:

anonymous

To whom?
You can be anonymous on facebook to other users by using a fantasy name.

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

20 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

There's TOR (which is speculated to be 'cracked' by law enforcement now), and I2P (which is not 100% safe if you're a target of very high magnitude either) to hide your IP and traffic by routing it through multiple points and otherwise heavily obfuscating your network activity by mixing in unrelated traffic (from other users). And your system / browser fingerprinting can be mitigated by specialized software like Tor Browser and Tails OS. But in the end, if your presence on both clearnet (regular internet) and darknet (TOR / I2P) is high enough - you can be tracked by behavioral and lingual analysis, or rather your clearnet identity can be matched with your darkweb one, if you've bothered the law enforcement enough to warrant deploying this kind of operation. Whether that would hold up in court is another question, but that's a start, so they can then deploy other kinds of targeted attacks at you specifically.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Dreckssackblase said:

Every Website you talk to receives your Browser fingerprint though, which includes stuff like display size / resolution, processor, OS and Browser Version and depending on how unique your setup is, you could be identified through that.

Anonymous to whom is an important question.

I dont see a way, how the government should know, that this browser with this screen size belongs to you.
But google might be able to put special ads for your device.

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

22 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Anonymous to whom is an important question.

I dont see a way, how the government should know, that this browser with this screen size belongs to you.
But google might be able to put special ads for your device.

just wanted to point out, that when you use the same PC for like online banking and then anonymised connections through something like a VPN that you could still be tracked somewhat, depending on how unique your setup is. If you run a fringe Linux Distro and a 164hz ultrawide 5k monitor with some rarer processor like a threadripper, youll be pretty identifieable to any big presence in the internet like amazon which hosts huge parts of the web on AWS.

Also, there is many hardware in a computer that has unique identifiers.
So you'll never be really anonymous.

Unless you have a live OS on USB and go to a random library to work from there.
But nobody would do something that shady.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

16 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

live OS

tailsOS /s

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, Dreckssackblase said:

thats true but ive been wanting to know is there a way not to give them that info?

1 hour ago, Juular said:

There's TOR (which is speculated to be 'cracked' by law enforcement now), and I2P (which is not 100% safe if you're a target of very high magnitude either) to hide your IP and traffic by routing it through multiple points and otherwise heavily obfuscating your network activity by mixing in unrelated traffic (from other users). And your system / browser fingerprinting can be mitigated by specialized software like Tor Browser and Tails OS. But in the end, if your presence on both clearnet (regular internet) and darknet (TOR / I2P) is high enough - you can be tracked by behavioral and lingual analysis, or rather your clearnet identity can be matched with your darkweb one, if you've bothered the law enforcement enough to warrant deploying this kind of operation. Whether that would hold up in court is another question, but that's a start, so they can then deploy other kinds of targeted attacks at you specifically.

thats fair, thanks for the info!

-----------------

#

chrome explains this pretty easily

image.png.bb32006e3e3091e5adccebd94b37fa51.png

Also don't forget the FBI wiretapping outside your house.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, Dreckssackblase said:

… why though?  couldnt that be randomized and faked or something? i think thats part of what OP is asking.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

… why though?  couldnt that be randomized and faked or something? i think thats part of what OP is asking.

"User fingerprint" also has to randomized. Humans have A LOT of patterns that are not visible straight away to themselves. How you click, where you visit, what typos you makes, how fast you type etc ANYTHING can be used to identify you.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You can try for sure, but a new Proof of concept that was released recently, people could be identified by running an opengl enable benchmark in the background and then fingerprinting the GPU based on boosting behaviour an voltages, so unless you want to write some code to randomize your GPUs BIOS aswell then you might still be trackable if some bad actor really wants to.

Not really. You can reduce data collection and tracking, but you can never get rid of it entirely.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

You can help (a little) as mentioned before:

"Burner" Laptop.  Disable Onboard Networking.  Use USB WiFi nuggets as "Disposable" MAC addresses.

Connect at public WIFI spots.  Starbucks, Dunks, Etc.

Add a VPN / TOR / Other level of obfuscation

Bootable USB OS that doesn't save changes

Don't use social media, forums, etc.  Those are super easy to trace back to a person.

Don't log into any google or other accounts you've ever accessed at your home computer.

6 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

or you could change it?

macchanger on linux can give you a random mac adress

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Yeah, right.
Even though it has to be unique in the network, you can probably guess one, which is not in the network yet ^^

My build:

CPU

CPU cooler

Motherboard

RAM

GPU

SSD

HDD

Power Supply

Case

Fractal Design Define R6

1 minute ago, suedseefrucht said:

Yeah, right.
Even though it has to be unique in the network, you can probably guess one, which is not in the network yet ^^

hopedully it wouldnt take mo-re than 2 tries, there are like 280 trillion mac adresses

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Dreckssackblase said:

just wanted to point out, that when you use the same PC for like online banking and then anonymised connections through something like a VPN that you could still be tracked somewhat, depending on how unique your setup is. If you run a fringe Linux Distro and a 164hz ultrawide 5k monitor with some rarer processor like a threadripper, youll be pretty identifieable to any big presence in the internet like amazon which hosts huge parts of the web on AWS.

So whenever I take my Pentium 4, 1024x768, XP SP3 system online to scrounge up some old freeware I'm easily trackable since no one else on this planet has that configuration? Hmmm...

But yes, due to things such as that, even if you never reveal your name, location, even IP (from VPN) online you are still traceable to some extent. People may not be able to find your house or anything but a general profile of you is still being created and held on servers. 

Full hardcore:

Email: None

Web browser: TOR

DNS: 1.1.1.1

Far more viable/livable:

Email: proton

Web browser: Safari

iCloud secure relate

Either way, don't use any google services or log into google anywhere. Same of facebook, etc. Don't use SMS. Disable cookies. Don't use public wifi.

Macs all identify as the same computer, so can't really be profiled in that manner.

57 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

There's even a just checkbox in Android and Windows 10 for using a random mac for WiFi connections.

It's a pretty common privacy feature.

8 hours ago, James Evens said:

No.

At the end there are behavior pattern. One might even be able to match this profile to your anonymous dark net forum due to lingual analysis.

Unless you make intentional mistakes 😛

11 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

Until they simply take the timestamps of when you were online and compare them to CCTV footage in/around the area where the wifi was--and match your comings/goings, thereby being able to likely get a facial ID, license plate, vehicle description, etc.  Even worse if the CCTV footage is inside the building with wifi--not just outside in some parking lot.