I have a horror game idea and need opinions-

zachthetree

so I dont have any specific details but I was thinking something along the lines of you're playing as someone who has schizophrenia and over time, the things you hallucinate become real and try to kill you. Thoughts?

33 minutes ago, zachthetree said:

so I dont have any specific details but I was thinking something along the lines of you're playing as someone who has schizophrenia and over time, the things you hallucinate become real and try to kill you. Thoughts?

Details matters man.
Especially so in story-based/oriented stuffs.

What kind of horror sub-genre it'll be ?

Different case if its just hack n slash like Dynasty Warriors.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

So something like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? Sure, if you do it as gracefully and respectfully as Ninja Theory did with their research and how they present psychosis, why not? If it's just for cheap thrills, then I'd say no.ย 

And now a word from our sponsor:ย ๐Ÿ’ฉ

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

แ‘แ‘Œแ‘แ‘ข

Spoiler

ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€

ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–€ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  โ–€โ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€

ย  ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆย โ–„โ–„ย  ย  ย ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–„ย ย โ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–€

ย  ย  ย  ย โ–€ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย  ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–„

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  โ–„โ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–„โ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–ˆโ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  โ–„โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย  ย โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆย ย โ–ˆโ–ˆ

ย  ย  ย  ย  โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ย  ย  ย โ–€โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–€ โ–„โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–„

ย 

The concept is good--if not slightly unoriginal but it's very hard to be original these days, especially in the horror game category imo (I'm not a game dev or anything so I'm just going off my intuition). As long as you don't screw up the execution, it should come out great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 8:03 PM, zachthetree said:

ย 

I don't think that there is even a game on the market with that idea. It could be a great game.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:03 PM, zachthetree said:

Not exactly comparable but your post reminded me of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:03 PM, zachthetree said:

you're playing as someone who has schizophrenia and over time, the things you hallucinate become real and try to kill you. Thoughts?

I say go with it, if you can make good. But please don't try to present the game as funny in any way. I do have a friend who has both Schizophrenia and Depression, and it is not pleasant at.

• 6 months later...

That's way too broad of a concept. Is i 2D or 3D? Is it action, horror, a deck builder game. Real time or turn based? Focus on narrative or focus on gameplay?

I can recomend you this youtube series about game design elements. This is about narrowing down the focus, which seems to be what your question is about.

Spoiler

if its the theme of schizophrenia, or about schizophrenia itself, or about the feeling of being "schizophrenic"?

as just a theme around memory-loss to dangers, it could work, more in negative emotion of "horror" than being horror itself, unless that is what you want.

A game that might test choices or how you deal with the daily stuff, but since "reality" changes it will take a toll on mental health and the loss, to emotions and horror it could create.

ย 

Maybe going from a lighter theme at first to see how it goes over time to become a "darker reality" of what is happening. Nearly like a human having fun and "slowely" turning into a "zombie" where darkness has taken over and more horror aspects might be brought up. Levels could either be through a "week", over 5-10 weeks/levels of gameplay with a some repeating in the end but very different from the first. First ones carry the story, until it progress faster towards the end story bits.

nvm thought about something else.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:03 PM, zachthetree said:

Not to be "that guy", but schizophrenia isn't specifically about hallucinations.ย  Hallucination psychosis might be more apt.ย  My understanding of schizophrenia (granted my schooling is from the DSM III-R/ DSM-4 days) is more akin to the brain being wired incorrectly.ย  Schizophrenia can lead to psychosis and hallucinations--but that isn't directly sympatomatic of schizophrenia.

ย 

If you think of how LSD affects the brain, schizophrenia operates in much the same way.ย  But instead of LSD temporarily rewiring the brain incorrectly--schizophrenia does this as a default; medication is required to revert neural pathways to the correct ones.

ย 

---

Consider too how delusions can play into this.ย 

ย 

https://www.brightquest.com/delusional-disorder/whats-the-difference-between-a-delusion-and-a-hallucination/

ย 

p.s.

I've had the idea of a short story where vision is destructive to the objects being viewed.ย  Where the more something is looked at, the faster it will deteriorate.ย  Never did anything with it because I don't know what do do with it or where to take it....

Sounds a bit like Donโ€™t Starve, where hallucinations can actually start attacking you at low enough sanity levels.ย 
ย 

Alan Wake used a rather intriguing concept of using light to fight your enemies.
ย 

The Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anime showed me another concept that I wonder could be worked into a game. In sort of a reversal from Alan Wake, one of the strongest antagonists of FMAB was actually stronger in bright light, and weakest in places devoid light, owing to needing shadows to enact his attacks.ย 
ย 

Implemented in a horror game, this could mean that the way not to get killed in a gruesome fashion, is to do the opposite of what is natural to you, and get away from, or shut off the lights. The goal being to create an atmosphere that never quite allows the playerโ€™s tension to ease, somewhat like original Silent Hill. (Geometry Shaders literally can provide new geometry procedurally and on-the-fly, so on a technical level, fully dynamic shadow monsters should be possible as well.)
ย 

Additionally, the imagination can provide a much more potent source of unease, than the actual monsters. Good horror games try to defer to your imagination rather than relying upon jump scares or even the enemies.ย 
ย 

Amnesia: Dark Descent uses a similar concept to a lesser degree, in that you hide from patrolling monsters in the dark, while youโ€™re more visible to them in the light (albeit, not using light itself as a means of attack).ย 

My eyes see the pastโ€ฆ

My camera lens sees the presentโ€ฆ

Sounds like a variation on Nightmare on Elm Street series, with reversing the idea to sleep actually being an escape rather than an empowerment of the antagonist / villain. I like the idea.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

ย 

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

ย 

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

On 1/31/2022 at 7:03 PM, zachthetree said:

Pretty sure this is the concept of nearly all horror games that exist. What was the latest one?ย The Dark Pictures Anthology?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800ย - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Mantaย - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

Setup:ย Zowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro -ย Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38Xย - Mackie CR5X's -ย 

Current build on PCPartPicker

ย