Questions About the Sound BlasterX G6

jidenshaotoko
I'm not an audiophile. However, I enjoyed using my on-board audio processing so much over these last 3 years, especially the amplification and how much oomph it gives to everything. But the audio on my motherboard started hitching out recently, which is a bummer because I miss using these features.

So I started looking around to finally get my first sound card. Now, before you guys start recommending options, I'll just go ahead and say I live in Brazil, and my options here are extremely limited; both from availability and also price (the X3 goes for almost US$600 here, for example). I'm familiar with the Sennheisers, Mayflowers, Shiits, but unfortunately none of them are available for purchase here. We don't even have the X4 in stores.

The G6 is more within my price range, but I have a couple questions. For reference, I use an Audio Technica M50X.

- I don't care about all the software fluff other than surround sound virtualization. Can I use it without ever having to install software, or does virtualization only work if I have it setup through Windows first?

- That said, how's 5.1/7.1 virtual surround sound? I'm not looking for accuracy (I don't have a frame of reference to even know how accurate sound would, well... sound). I'm just looking for extra oomph. Does it deliver?

- Can I plug it into my TV via optical out and have everything I have plugged into it come through the sound card and onto my headphones?

- What about PS5? Will this setup passthrough audio or will audio be limited to the console? Reason I'm asking is that to capture PS5 footage, I can't listen to anything with headphones plugged into either the controller or the console, otherwise the file has no sound.

- Can I expect the same level of "amplification" that I'd have on PC, but plugged into the TV?

- If I have it plugged into the TV, what modes do I have available (direct, 7.1, SBX, scout...?)

Thanks in advance. Appreciate you taking the time to read this.

1 hour ago, jidenshaotoko said:
For reference, I use an Audio Technica M50X.

M50X is overhyped.

So I started looking around to finally get my first sound card.

Soundcards are objectively poor by comparison to an external solution.

- That said, how's 5.1/7.1 virtual surround sound? 

"7.1 surround" is a gimmic, it's a digital audio processing filter.

Can I plug it into my TV via optical out and have everything I have plugged into it come through the sound card and onto my headphones?

Soundcards output audio, they don't always accept inputs. It's a solution for your desktop.

I'm not an audiophile.

Agreed, lol.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

1 hour ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

M50X is overhyped.

Soundcards are objectively poor by comparison to an external solution.

"7.1 surround" is a gimmic, it's a digital audio processing filter.

Soundcards output audio, they don't always accept inputs. It's a solution for your desktop.

Agreed, lol.

Condescending much?  He HAS the M50X, the G6 isn't a sound card and he means optical out of TV

2 hours ago, jidenshaotoko said:
The G6 is more within my price range, but I have a couple questions. For reference, I use an Audio Technica M50X.

- Can I plug it into my TV via optical out and have everything I have plugged into it come through the sound card and onto my headphones?

- What about PS5? Will this setup passthrough audio or will audio be limited to the console? Reason I'm asking is that to capture PS5 footage, I can't listen to anything with headphones plugged into either the controller or the console, otherwise the file has no sound.

- Can I expect the same level of "amplification" that I'd have on PC, but plugged into the TV?

- If I have it plugged into the TV, what modes do I have available (direct, 7.1, SBX, scout...?)

Thanks in advance. Appreciate you taking the time to read this.

The G6 looks like an acceptable solution, I know little to nothing about it but I just looked over what information it has.  Your headphones are very easy to drive so they should get at least the same volume that your onboard audio provides but should offer a better quality of sound.  *edit: I just realized it runs only off usb power which would be a limiting factor if you had higher impedance or lower sensitivity headphones.

As for connectivity I'm pretty sure that what ever is sending audio to your TV will be the audio source that is output from the TV's optical.  So when you're looking at your computer it'll have that sound and when you're on your PS5 it will have that audio assuming everything is connected to the TV through hdmi.  If I had to guess the optical out will not impact your game capturing but I can't say for sure.  As to the limitations of optical I know they are lower than hdmi, there is a hard cap on the signal that optical can convey but I don't remember what it is, I'd google what optical is capable of it's self because it will be the connection limiting you.  *edit: I would imagine that you could switch between optical and usb on the device so that you can have a better connection from your PC and still connect to PS5.  Also I would double check that the PS5 is compatible, it only say's PS4 on their page.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

48 minutes ago, Psittac said:

Condescending much?  He HAS the M50X

I'll admit, yes. But that was intentional.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

10 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

that was intentional.

Unfortunate

@Tigerleonhas a Sound Blaster if I'm correcly.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

5 hours ago, CTR640 said:

@Tigerleonhas a Sound Blaster if I'm correcly.

Yep. SB AE-9

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Yep. SB AE-9

A few years ago I wanted to get the X7 lol. It got the inputs I needed/want but for some reason, it went the other route.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 1/28/2022 at 6:50 PM, Psittac said:

The G6 looks like an acceptable solution, I know little to nothing about it but I just looked over what information it has.  Your headphones are very easy to drive so they should get at least the same volume that your onboard audio provides but should offer a better quality of sound.  *edit: I just realized it runs only off usb power which would be a limiting factor if you had higher impedance or lower sensitivity headphones.

As for connectivity I'm pretty sure that what ever is sending audio to your TV will be the audio source that is output from the TV's optical.  So when you're looking at your computer it'll have that sound and when you're on your PS5 it will have that audio assuming everything is connected to the TV through hdmi.  If I had to guess the optical out will not impact your game capturing but I can't say for sure.  As to the limitations of optical I know they are lower than hdmi, there is a hard cap on the signal that optical can convey but I don't remember what it is, I'd google what optical is capable of it's self because it will be the connection limiting you.  *edit: I would imagine that you could switch between optical and usb on the device so that you can have a better connection from your PC and still connect to PS5.  Also I would double check that the PS5 is compatible, it only say's PS4 on their page.

Thanks Psittac!

Knowing the baseline of what I can expect is definitely helpful as I honestly have no idea of what to expect from a dedicated DAC/Amp. I did my own research, but even Creative's website has some confusing and contradicting info in regards to G6, so I figured I'd ask people who know way more than I do.

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of their page, it says the PS5 is compatible, but only via optical. The thing is, PS5 doesn't have an optical port like the PS4 does, so that's where the confusion stems from. I figure they mean you can use an HDMI audio extractor straight into the G6 to make it sort of compatible.

Anyways, thanks for the helpful answers! Appreciate it.

9 hours ago, jidenshaotoko said:

I figure they mean you can use an HDMI audio extractor straight into the G6 to make it sort of compatible.

Probably just whoever writes various product info stuff doesn't understand the tech enough. Some of the articles I see when searching "PS5 optical port" are saying "Just use your TV's optical output, duh"

9 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Probably just whoever writes various product info stuff doesn't understand the tech enough. Some of the articles I see when searching "PS5 optical port" are saying "Just use your TV's optical output, duh"

That would make perfect sense, problem solved so far as I know

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission