PlayStation 4 surpasses 7 million sold worldwide

GoodBytes

So, we have been hearing some bad news for Sony lately, including today, where Sony announced that it will sales all their shares in SqaureEnix to stay afloat.

But here are some good news!

Sony has reported selling 7 million PS4's worldwide, reports The Verge

controller-light.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

As of April 6, Sony's PlayStation 4 has sold through more than 7 million units worldwide, the company announced today.

More than 20.5 million software sales have been made digitally and in retail stores worldwide, and players have used the system's share function more than 135 million times. Twitch and Ustream broadcasts have risen to more than 4.9 million with more than 90 million spectator sessions.

According to president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Andrew House, the global community response "has been overwhelming."

This is compared to XBox One sales of Janurary (so we have to wait for new updated numbers) of 3.9 million Xbox One consoles worldwide.

Source and image source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/16/5622188/ps4-sales-7-million

inb4 coo'

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Lol.Imagine how much money Sony is losing.I mean,they probably sell the hardware at loss(not too big though).

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I would buy either console, if any of them had any games to begin with.

Will wait for revision 2.

Lol.Imagine how much money Sony is losing.I mean,they probably sell the hardware at loss(not too big though).

Actually, I believe they are profiting ~$10 for each one sold, and I want to say that includes shipping, fees, taxes, etc.

^I'm probably wrong on that though.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427757,00.asp

"IHS earlier calculated Sony's hardware plus manufacturing costs to build its own new console, the PlayStation 4 at $381, which is $18 lower than its price tag in the United States."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427757,00.asp

"IHS earlier calculated Sony's hardware plus manufacturing costs to build its own new console, the PlayStation 4 at $381, which is $18 lower than its price tag in the United States."

They're breaking even considering international sales where it's the equivalent of 500 USD (or even worst in some places, see Brazil) and that makes up for distribution costs and such. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

They take a huge cut on top of each game sold, that's why console games stay expensive and start expensive. But I'd always rather play sports games of console

looks like consoles won't be going away anytime soon. and i don't want them to go away because there are amazing console developers from Sony and Microsoft.

They're breaking even considering international sales where it's the equivalent of 500 USD (or even worst in some places, see Brazil) and that makes up for distribution costs and such. 

well yea the point of my post is to have closer to facts instead of guessing

7mil sold to customers or just shipped from China to the distribution network?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

consoles rolling over and dieing would be good news.

not evryone has to much money! i have a ps4 as well :) So never judge console gaming i experienced the best gaming lifetime of my life on the console. PC gaming is to borring with keyboard only. and if you have a controller for you're pc then you are not a pc gamer. but a console gamer :)

7mil sold to customers or just shipped from China to the distribution network?

SOLD!

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

and if you have a controller for you're pc then you are not a pc gamer. but a console gamer :)

Really ? You' shouldn't call people peasant just because they're using controllers on their PC, that's just wrong.

As for the 7M units. I don't really know if it's good or bad. What is it like compared to the previous gen launch pace ? And come on Microsoft, release some numbers already...

Really ? You' shouldn't call people peasant just because they're using controllers on their PC, that's just wrong.

a hardcore pc gamer sticks with there mouse and keyboard. its like diablo going from pc to ps3 and now ps4 LMAO with this. i cant imagen how that would play on a controller! But anyway ontopic :) Nice to see Sony selling more and more. up to the 10 mil and enough supply's beacause they still have the lack of supply's on the market.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

if sony does fold before this generation is over, what will hapen to all thsoe ps4 owners with no support...

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

it has like 0 games so far that you cant get on the PC. i want to sell mine...

not evryone has to much money! i have a ps4 as well :) So never judge console gaming i experienced the best gaming lifetime of my life on the console. PC gaming is to borring with keyboard only. and if you have a controller for you're pc then you are not a pc gamer. but a console gamer :)

SOLD!

1) Consoles are what is known as a "Loss leader", they are sold to you below cost and money is made on the games, overpriced aftermarket controllers, fees and other stuff.

The cost is the same or more over the life of the console and you get less then what you'd get with a PC.

On top of that games on Console look like crap.

2) Controllers on PC are sometimes needed because the games are cross-platform and the developer didn't put any effort into proper keyboard and mouse support.

Its time to make the transition from console to pc.  The value just isn't there anymore for the console.

it has like 0 games so far that you cant get on the PC. i want to sell mine...

Because its new, just like any new console. When the 360 came out it only had a handful of games as did the PS3 then maybe a year later they got quite a few games under their belt.

It will be exactly the same for the new consoles. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Kind of odd that the Xbox One isn't even available here yet, no wonder that the PS4 sells good everywhere. The price is lower and the availability is much better.

It should be easier for them to start making money now that they have 7 million units worldwide.

Keep selling those game licences boys 

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

SOLD!

You are aware that controllers exist on PCs ? I have a Xbox 360 controller that works perfectly on my PC

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

a hardcore pc gamer sticks with there mouse and keyboard.

You are aware that controllers exist on PCs ? I have a Xbox 360 controller that works perfectly on my PC

You're not hardcore man ! Everybody knows that platform games, racing, fighting... all are played with a keyboard and mouse !

a hardcore pc gamer sticks with there mouse and keyboard. its like diablo going from pc to ps3 and now ps4 LMAO with this. i cant imagen how that would play on a controller! But anyway ontopic :) Nice to see Sony selling more and more. up to the 10 mil and enough supply's beacause they still have the lack of supply's on the market.

*cough*

Please stop. You're making hardcore PC Gamers look bad...

The main advantage of a PC is versatility and power. With consoles, you're pretty much stuck with just a controller. And sure that works fine with many games, but others, like FPS, are harder to control, and RTS is almost impossible.

With a PC, you have the option of using Keyboard and Mouse, which is fantastic for FPS and RTS. Then you can use Racing Wheel which is of course excellent for any sort of racing sim (Controller also works nicely here as a substitute). Then you've got your Flight Stick for your Flight and Space Simulators (Playing Freespace 2 on Mouse/Keyboard is fucking stupid - no one should ever be forced to do that). And then you've got your console style controller, which is excellent for fighting games (Unless you have an actual fighting pad) and Third Person action/adventure games like Assassins Creed.

Now sure, you can play *most* of those game types well on a Mouse and Keyboard, but each genre is optimized and suited for a specific type of control mechanism.

You're not hardcore man ! Everybody knows that platform games, racing, fighting... all are played with a keyboard and mouse !

Haha exactly ;) Ermahgad gotta play Star Citizen on my KB/Mouse yo!

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Now sure, you can play *most* of those game types well on a Mouse and Keyboard, but each genre is optimized and suited for a specific type of control mechanism.

Being forced to play Dark Souls, Rayman, Final Fantasy, LEGO games, Super Meat Boy, and a few others on a keyboard and mouse would be worse than pissing out a cactus.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.