Does anyone even sell dumb tvs (no roku/android/firetv built in ) anymore

mr079
Go to solution Solved by bmx6454,

sceptre makes some non smart 4k tv's, don't see whats wrong with just not using the smart features though lol

Buying online or in store(online preferred)

Looking for a decent 32- 40 inch tv without all the smart features built in that can be had for between 100 and 300 usd.

At least 1080p , preferably with 2 hdmi and 1 component inputs

I dont mind buying refurbished as long as the tv is not something ancient like a vizio m420sl or an old rca from 2005

How about a monitor? Even if the TV comes with smart features you don't have to use them/connect it to the Internet. 

You don't need to use it as a smart TV.

Just connect it to media players through HDMI.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

sceptre makes some non smart 4k tv's, don't see whats wrong with just not using the smart features though lol

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

You don't need to use it as a smart TV.

Just connect it to media players through HDMI.

I know.

Its for someone who always messes with settings on their phone, laptop and x1 cable box and then asks me for help when they can't remember what they changed.

4 minutes ago, mr079 said:

I know.

Its for someone who always messes with settings on their phone, laptop and x1 cable box and then asks me for help when they can't remember what they changed.

Start charging for your time, make them realize its worth it. 😄

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Sceptre seems to be the only one i can find that still makes tvs without smart functionality, which is ironic because i just got rid of a 32 inch sceptre tv after 8 years because the backlight died and it would be more expensive to repair than to get a newer sceptre tv.

I only paid 180 dollars for it from walmart in 2014 and now i could have a 40 inch tv for just 10 dollars more than i originally spent.

I just hope that I'm not in the same boat after another 8 years.

Stupid thing only died because of bad capacitors from capxon and i don't have the tools or the time to waste replacing capacitors on a tv that was barely worth the money brand new .

Can always wreck the wifi board in the damn thing so they can't try and connect it--thus preventing the PEBKAC you are sacrificing your time/effort for--from "messing anything up".

Agreed.

I was just thinking about this earlier today because I now have 2 "smart" TVs in the home and in neither case am I using the integrated "smart" features because well: They suck.

Many consumer grade TVs don't implement the OS properly, some use slower chips in there that make them unusable (looking at you HiSense Android TV) and other integrate Roku that although fine as an operating system, feels too much like an Apple product in that it's closed to anything outside of their app store. 

Don't even get me started on Amazon Fire TVs.

I would LOVE a "dumb" 55" QLED or OLED TV with a nice fat refresh rate and a traditional menu driven interface for the settings. No need for Internet connectivity.

This is the best I could find:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rca-4k-ultra-hd-led-tv-55-in/6000197046433

Not the highest quality panel and 60hz... 

7 hours ago, lord_galathon said:

I would LOVE a "dumb" 55" QLED or OLED TV with a nice fat refresh rate and a traditional menu driven interface for the settings. No need for Internet connectivity.

LG's high-end OLEDs are pretty good with webOS. It's responsive and the menu is intuitive. I think it's mostly an issue at the low end, as my cheaper Samsung is a different story indeed.

For now dumb TVs are all but a relic of the past. As you noticed if you even find one it won't be a quality panel.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB