PSU 4+4/8pin connector questions...

Wiebenor

I'll probably say this later, but to make it clear at the start, I haven't built a computer since 2004 or so, until 2020 or so when I built my first one in around 15 years... With that in mind, please read my question and give your responses with my ignorance of the more recent PSU cable standards in mind...

I bought a power supply off of Newegg, as well as all my other parts for a PC I built for myself, and I have even built a computer since then, using a new power supply I had previously bought at Best Buy, and I ran into a problem with both systems, albeit, less pronounced on the newer build as the motherboard doesn't warn me about power issues, like the other one used to before buying a cable mod replacement cable for it with the correct pinout.

Now to make sure you understand my meaning, on the  computer I purchased on Newegg, that I thought everything was compatible out of the box, with everything else, it came with a split 4+4 cable, that connects together to form an 8 pin cable, but it didn't work in my system in any other form except as a 4 pin cable in the compatible side of the 8pin connector, and while that's perfectly fine, I was tired of the x570 board's message on boot about maybe wanting to upgrade my power circuit output by using the proper 8pin CPU circuit cable, so I bought a CableMod custom cable specifically for an 8pin power connector, that was made for my power supply.

Now, I've been out of the computer building loop for 15 years or so, so I don't honestly know how most newer boards can have an 8pin cable connector, yet most power supplies, like that in my first build, or even in a store like Best Buy, can have a connector that won't fully work on a motherboard, like happened in my 2nd build, without using only 4 pins of the 8 pins that are recommended...

Can someone please help me understand what the deal with these different standards are, and not only that, but how to do things differently in the future, so I get the proper motherboard/PSU combos in the future, if ever needed???(obviously I am looking for information on not just 8 pin connectors, but the many varied new standards from 4+4 all the way to 8+4, or whatever the newest ones are)

I just want to make sure my information is up to date and understandable, but I don't see any YouTubers saying anything about the differences, or explaining anything about the standards and pitfalls you might fall into looking for a PSU with the correct pinout...

You don’t see YouTube videos because it’s not a issue. 
a 4+4 pin works just like a single 8 pin, but it also scompatible with a single 4 pin, or the 4 pin suplemental power of other boards.

your probably doing something wrong when putting it in

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

You don’t see YouTube videos because it’s not a issue. 
a 4+4 pin works just like a single 8 pin, but it also scompatible with a single 4 pin, or the 4 pin suplemental power of other boards.

your probably doing something wrong when putting it in

How can I be doing something wrong, when I put the 4+4 connector together, and the keyed connections don't match my motherboard's connectors??? If the connectors won't fit, in the proper position, with the clip facing the right way, then it's not the right connector, even if it was supposed to work. am I wrong? I'm just confused about, how an 8pin CPU connector can be NOT an 8 pin connector, even if it's supposedly compatible with your system...(note that I believe my system requires an 8 pin, and a 4 pin connection, if I remember correctly)

Time for pictures then? You did not mention the models of PSU or motherboard either...

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The PSU of my 1st rig is a Fractal Design model "ION+ 660p" (platinum rated 660 watts)

My motherboard, again from first rig, is a "TUF X-570 Gaming PLUS [wi-fi]" from ASUS... I'm currently looking for the bag the PSU/cables originally came in which SHOULD be in one of my boxes I boxed up in my room cleanup, but I'm not finding it as of yet... When I do find it, hopefully in a few minutes, I'll try and send you a picture of the old(new OEM) cables look like compared to my new one(s)... I forget if I actually had a single 4 pin connector, or just the 4+4 connector, but Newegg didn't throw any compatibility flags when I built it around 16 months ago... Not sure what other pics might be helpful... 

57 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

How can I be doing something wrong, when I put the 4+4 connector together, and the keyed connections don't match my motherboard's connectors??? If the connectors won't fit, in the proper position, with the clip facing the right way, then it's not the right connector, even if it was supposed to work. am I wrong? I'm just confused about, how an 8pin CPU connector can be NOT an 8 pin connector, even if it's supposedly compatible with your system...(note that I believe my system requires an 8 pin, and a 4 pin connection, if I remember correctly)

Not requires. It’s a 8 pin with supplemental 4 pin.

you’re doing something wrong somewhere there, companies don’t just sell components with the wrong conectors

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Not requires. It’s a 8 pin with supplemental 4 pin.

you’re doing something wrong somewhere there, companies don’t just sell components with the wrong conectors

As much as I'd like to agree with you, I couldn't find the cables I'm looking for that came with my first computer, so I'll use my 2nd Intel build since I know that one basically had the same problem despite being, I believe, from visual inspection, only an 8 pin, of which, only 4 pins is currently connected, although the plug was removed and connected into it's 8 pin configuration for the pictures I took...

Also note, the motherboard for my Intel build is an ASUS "PRIME B560-PLUS" and the PSU is the Corsair "CX 650M" semi modular PSU(note that that seems to be different than what I remember my other computer's cable to look like, as I couldn't get it to fit if I remember correctly, but then again, as seen here, I'm obsessed with matching each square hole up with a square hole, and vice versa)(will try again in daylight tomorrow to find my other cables for my 1st rig to see if they still don't work)1415855213_MBConn.jpg.c1b5cd2353e33371b1c11a5e3547a032.jpg2065921562_CableConn.thumb.jpg.107cab8566d56da1f21b40697e591f36.jpg

37 minutes ago, Wiebenor said:

as I couldn't get it to fit if I remember correctly, but then again, as seen here, I'm obsessed with matching each square hole up with a square hole, and vice versa)

That doesn't matter. Just plug the 4+4 connector in.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'll do that on the build pictured above, and I don't need to do anything to my other build, it's just that I didn't seem to have a correct plug or something... If I find the plug does look different, and can't be just plugged in, I'll do another reply, but it does look like I did an "idiot" and went "too" attention to detail