Corsair RM850x not correctly Powering on PC.

LK The Oz
I have a question, but this is from another forum that relates to my issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Carts60"

Posted April 21, 2015

•  

Hi chaps,

New here and first post so please be nice :)

I recently acquired an RM850 (2nd hand) to upgrade from my CX500 having got a new graphics card.

I have an issue however as when I did a test to make sure it was good, after plugging in the 24 & 8 pin CPU cables and a test fan via molex, the RM850 makes a single tick before what I can only equate to sounding like a breaker being switched.

It puts the board LED on to show power but powering on trips a breaker it seems and it fails.

I'm totally stumped. I have tried a different CPU cable (same result) and reconnected the CX500 which powers the system just fine.

Any ideas, MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a tonne :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Corsair Johan"

Hello carts60,

From what I understood the PSU starts when doing the paperclip test, but when you hook it up to your system it does not start?

Best regards,

Corsair Johan

"Me"

Hey! So was there a resolution to this issue? I have pretty much that same problem, and have also done the paper clip test and passed. I also checked all connections and wires multiple times. Previous Power supply works fine I had actually put it back in and it's working right now. So do what do I need to do?
P.S. RAM LEDs turn on and the motherboard LEDs turn on but that's it.

1 minute ago, LK The Oz said:
I have a question, but this is from another forum that relates to my issue.
"Carts60"

Posted April 21, 2015

•  

Hi chaps,

New here and first post so please be nice :)

I recently acquired an RM850 (2nd hand) to upgrade from my CX500 having got a new graphics card.

I have an issue however as when I did a test to make sure it was good, after plugging in the 24 & 8 pin CPU cables and a test fan via molex, the RM850 makes a single tick before what I can only equate to sounding like a breaker being switched.

It puts the board LED on to show power but powering on trips a breaker it seems and it fails.

I'm totally stumped. I have tried a different CPU cable (same result) and reconnected the CX500 which powers the system just fine.

Any ideas, MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a tonne :)

"Corsair Johan"

Hello carts60,

From what I understood the PSU starts when doing the paperclip test, but when you hook it up to your system it does not start?

Best regards,

Corsair Johan

"Me"

Hey! So was there a resolution to this issue? I have pretty much that same problem, and have also done the paper clip test and passed. I also checked all connections and wires multiple times. Previous Power supply works fine I had actually put it back in and it's working right now. So do what do I need to do?

@Corsair Johan
@Corsair

2 minutes ago, LK The Oz said:

Uh..

image.png.bafd4058b33578eb14308fe7a7f12e96.png

Are you sure the cables that you got with the RM850x are correct and are Corsair type 4 cables?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Uh..

image.png.bafd4058b33578eb14308fe7a7f12e96.png

Are you sure the cables that you got with the RM850x are correct and are Corsair type 4 cables?

Well at first I used the previous cables that I had and nothing would power on so I switched out the cables with the ones that came with it and that's where I am. Also not sure about the type 4 or how to check.

1 minute ago, LK The Oz said:

Well at first I used the previous cables that i had and nothing would power on so I switched out the cables with the ones that came with it and that's where I am. Also not sure about the the type 4 or how to check.

What other cables? The CX500 is non modular. There are none that you could have removed from that and reused on the rmX

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

What other cables? The CX500 is non modular. There are none that you could have removed from that and reused on the rmX

Sorry I had just quoted the other guy I don't have the CX500 my previous one is fully modular.

3 minutes ago, LK The Oz said:

Sorry I had just quoted the other guy I don't have the CX500 my previous one is fully modular.

And what PSU was it?

How about we get some system specs. What in the original post doesn't directly relate to your problem? Did anything happen when you did the paperclip test? That PSU has a zero RPM mode. What did you attach to it for a load?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

And what was it?

How about we get some system specs. What in the original post doesn't directly relate to your problem? Did anything happen when you did the paperclip test? That PSU has a zero RPM mode. What did you attach to it for a load?

Seagate 750w 80plus gold is my previous one. With the paper clip test the PSU fan turned on for a few seconds and the case fan stayed on and working. Before I had ran the test I had everything reconnected and setup in my PC and after Putting in the new cables, since with the old ones there was no power at all to the pc, I had just LEDs on the mother board and RAM. No fans or nothing else working. I also have the click from the RM 850x after powering it up.

Just now, LK The Oz said:

Seagate 750w 80plus gold is my previous one

Seasonic? 

That uses different cables than your RMx. 

Spoiler

PSU_Pinout_Voltage_-_Seasonic_FOCUS_SGX.png?v=1578785643PSU_Pinout_Voltage_-_Corsair_Type_4.png?v=1578641655

Look at the PSU side of the cables. Except the EPS connector, they're all different. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, LK The Oz said:

Seagate 750w 80plus gold is my previous one

Since you used incompatible cables, it's possible that you killed some components. Try booting with as few parts as possible. I.e. CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, a single stick of RAM, and GPU if your CPU does not have an iGPU.

Sounds more like there is another issue. There is a relay that clicks when you power the system on and off normally, that's not a breaker.

:)

8 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Since you used incompatible cables, it's possible that you killed some components. 

This.

You don't use Seasonic cables with Corsair PSUs.

You don't use EVGA cables with Cooler Master PSUs.

That's why the RM850x says right on it:

image.thumb.png.4cb42c5a565a6c6cc03d9e55b9a03377.png

43 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

This.

I tried the cables that came with the corsair PSU.

Just now, LK The Oz said:

I tried the cables that came with the corsair PSU.

so i return it then

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

This.

Wait i literally don't know why i said i tried the other cables when they didnt even fit correctly so I had only used the ones it came with sorry i had told u i tried it as powering it on with them. Sorry for the confusion...

just keep in mind... in this forum, when a Corsair PSU is faulty, users are blamed first. (often till the end)

If a Seasonic PSU is faulty, people jump right to the conclusion that PSU is bad to begin with.

Which is weird, if you look at the Newegg rates, Corsair gets 4 eggs and Seasoncs are 5.

fyi, Newegg reviews were considered legit evidence for the WD 3TB drive lawsuit. 

edit: it was Seagate... instead of WD

Edited by MarkCaplan

32 minutes ago, MarkCaplan said:

just keep in mind... in this forum, when a Corsair PSU is faulty, users are blamed first. (often till the end)

If a Seasonic PSU is faulty, people jump right to the conclusion that PSU is bad to begin with.

Which is weird, if you look at the Newegg rates, Corsair gets 4 eggs and Seasoncs are 5.

fyi, Newegg reviews were considered legit evidence for the WD 3TB drive lawsuit. 

Don't turn this in to a fanboy argument. They said they used their Seasonic cables with the Corsair PSU, which obviously won't work. People would say the same thing if they tried using a Seasonic PSU with Corsair cables.

4 hours ago, LK The Oz said:

Well at first I used the previous cables that I had and nothing would power on so I switched out the cables with the ones that came with it and that's where I am. Also not sure about the type 4 or how to check.

Corsair cables will have "type 4" printed on the connector on the end that plugs in to the PSU. Only use cables that are labelled type 4 with Corsair RMx. 

Take the PSU and all the cables out of the system and make sure the only cables you are using are the Corsair type 4 cables. You might have forgot to change one over from when you were using the seasonic cables.

3 hours ago, LK The Oz said:

Wait i literally don't know why i said i tried the other cables when they didnt even fit correctly so I had only used the ones it came with sorry i had told u i tried it as powering it on with them. Sorry for the confusion...

I think they do actually fit, so it's possible you are using some Seasonic cables with the Corsair PSU.

After you've double checked the cables if it still doesn't boot let us know and we can go from there, though as Seon mentioned if you did try to power it on with the wrong cables it's possible you have damaged something.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Don't turn this in to a fanboy argument. They said they used their Seasonic cables with the Corsair PSU, which obviously won't work. People would say the same thing if they tried using a Seasonic PSU with Corsair cables.

Corsair cables will have "type 4" printed on the connector on the end that plugs in to the PSU. Only use cables that are labelled type 4 with Corsair RMx. 

Take the PSU and all the cables out of the system and make sure the only cables you are using are the Corsair type 4 cables. You might have forgot to change one over from when you were using the seasonic cables.

I think they do actually fit, so it's possible you are using some Seasonic cables with the Corsair PSU.

After you've double checked the cables if it still doesn't boot let us know and we can go from there, though as Seon mentioned if you did try to power it on with the wrong cables it's possible you have damaged something.

Okay I will get back to you guys on this since i had put the other PSU in my pc i might just put it in my wifes but we need ram and ssd and then ill know for sure if it works but thanks for the help guys! Talk soon!

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I was not referring to the cable mismatch responses in this thread. I was referring to the responses of this forum in general.

I can quote some examples if necessary but it does not take a lot to figure out what I was talking about.

3 hours ago, MarkCaplan said:

not true. Seasonic psus have a lot f problems right now, so they are easy to blame, no one should really buy them right now atleast. 

Higher end corsair psus do not have any major problems, so they are harder to blame, that is how it goes.

if you had to choose between 2 cars, 1 is good, 1 has issues and YOU choose the bad car, well of course we re going to blame you for buying crap.   

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

5 hours ago, MarkCaplan said:

If you use the DC cables from a different PSU with your new one, be it Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, whatever. Then the blame is on the user, it's one of the simplest and most frequent user errors. Nothing to do with 'people on this forum'.

By using the incompatible cables, the user likely just fried their hardware, so even if swapped to the right cables after, the PC wouldn't work either.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply