Corsair RM850 - Won't power on!?

carts60

Hi chaps,

New here and first post so please be nice :)

I recently acquired an RM850 (2nd hand) to upgrade from my CX500 having got a new graphics card.

I have an issue however as when I did a test to make sure it was good, after plugging in the 24 & 8 pin CPU cables and a test fan via molex, the RM850 makes a single tick before what I can only equate to sounding like a breaker being switched.

It puts the board LED on to show power but powering on trips a breaker it seems and it fails.

I'm totally stumped. I have tried a different CPU cable (same result) and reconnected the CX500 which powers the system just fine.

Any ideas, MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a tonne :)

Hi chaps,

I recently acquired an RM850 (2nd hand) to upgrade from my CX500 having got a new graphics card.

I have an issue however as when I did a test to make sure it was good, after plugging in the 24 & 8 pin CPU cables and a test fan via molex, the RM850 makes a single tick before what I can only equate to sounding like a breaker being switched.

It puts the board LED on to show power but powering on trips a breaker it seems and it fails.

I'm totally stumped. I have tried a different CPU cable (same result) and reconnected the CX500 which powers the system just fine.

Welcome to the Forums!

Try doing the paperclip method on the 24 pin to check and see if the PSU will power up and keep running it sounds like it's tripping a short circuit protection of some sort.

Other people will say it's because the capacitors are not that good but I disagree, sounds like you have a faulty PSU though IMO :(

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

It seems like a faulty psu I would return it immediately to corsair.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Gah.

I don't think I can return it though as its second hand. I don't have the original receipt or proof or purchase :(

What a shame

I'll do the paper clip trick tomorrow and see what happens.

Hi again guys,

So even more confusingly, the paper clip test works fine.

The fan doesn't come on on the PSU because its only set to come on at a certain temp by design BUT if you link a test fan via molex, it works a treat.

Any ideas what is going on here???

Hi again guys,

So even more confusingly, the paper clip test works fine.

The fan doesn't come on on the PSU because its only set to come on at a certain temp by design BUT if you link a test fan via molex, it works a treat.

Any ideas what is going on here???

The fan not turning on is normal but when you install it into your system it just boots and turns off immediately. I would contact Corsair and try to see if they can do anything since your CX500 worked no problem on the system previously.

Hi chaps,

Hello carts60,

From what I understood the PSU starts when doing the paperclip test, but when you hook it up to your system it does not start?

Best regards,

Corsair Johan

Hello carts60,

From what I understood the PSU starts when doing the paperclip test, but when you hook it up to your system it does not start?

Best regards,

Corsair Johan

Oh hey we have a Corsair Rep. on the forum!  :D

Welcome to the Forums!

Oh hey we have a Corsair Rep. on the forum!  :D

Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you W-L.

Feel free to tag me anywhere you see someone with questions or problems with any of our products.

It's probably faulty, never buy second hand PSUs unless you know they work well. There are very few reasons to sell a recent 850 watt mid/high end PSU, and one of them is that it doesn't work.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 6 years later...
On 4/23/2015 at 3:26 PM, Corsair Johan said:

Hello carts60,

Best regards,

Corsair Johan

Hey! So was there a resolution to this issue? I have pretty much that same problem, and have also done the paper clip test and passed.