Adblocking Does Not Constitute Copyright Infringement, Court Rules

jagdtigger
11 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

So why did you even jump in and reply in the original post. That's literally something I've been repeating in almost every post

To offer a counter argument to something that you were saying was more fact when it was actually more opinion. You were asking for my opinion, I never had an opinion on anything except for apparently things you didn't want to discuss 🤷‍♂️

On 2/7/2022 at 2:08 AM, RedRound2 said:

Its been said many times here and from Linus as well, by you not watching the ads (by blocking it) you have just reduced the chance to zero for YouTube as well as Linus to get any revenue from you. And all they sort of are asking is you to just get exposed to the ad (clicking it is another story)

This simply isn't actually correct for the reason I have given along with many other people as well. But you wanted to argue around all the other things you said you were never interest in rather than the factors around this specifically which make that statement not accurate.

So unless you also want to brand every person that clicks "Skip" on the ads as a leech or a pirate I would not be so ready to put forward this argument. 

I was never giving my opinion on anything in relation to this statement I was replying to other than the additional at the end of my post saying that I think the advertisers are abusive and have been granted far more power than they should have and have had wide sweeping creative control over the platform as creators are having to bend to their wills and demands rather than having the freedom to create the content they wish to in the way in which they wish to.

11 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Didn't you just say you had some problem with how youtube pays creators very little?

Nope. I've said the Ad revenue isn't actually as high as people want to make out it is, go read any interview with YouTube creators, and for those smaller creators they rely on funding that is not YouTube Ad revenue. It's generally accepted in the creator community that it is around the 1 million subscriber mark that a channel is able to be self sustaining as a primary income/job however that is also largely due to being about the size where you start getting sponsorship deals.

Pointing out that YouTube creators rely on other sources of funding is not the same thing as saying YouTube pays too little rates for Ads. Those can be fair and also not enough to sustain a YouTube channel.

I also gave you plenty of hints to go find and read this post, which is on the same original page a few comments up from yours btw

On 2/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, leadeater said:

And for what it's worth I don't disagree with Linus's reasoning and arguments on the WAN show about this either, does not mean I overall agree with the situation. You can have a well thought out and reasoned position on something, be correct on your points, but still doesn't mean your position on a situation is more correct or correct at all on the situation. I don't and have never believed I'm 100% correct on this situation either but I know bad arguments, and bad situations when I see them.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, leadeater said:

Well they are correct about leeching off YouTube, not off the creator.

They called it piracy. I was the one who called it leeching. They also said that leeching and piracy was the same. Which it is not.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, leadeater said:

Going on some silly crusade to "support" the creator or YouTube when every argument is so weak and disproven is just disappointing to see. Some people just happen to like inflicting pain on themselves, what I hope they realize is that is something for them and maybe not others.

I don't know why someone would take what someone else is doing with their own things so to heart. I can't really say that I care. I just want to point out that it is impossible to argue with such individuals and I'm not gonna waste anymore time on it.

But hey what do I know? Maybe they are Google employees or maybe even Sundar himself. 😅

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

To offer a counter argument to something that you were saying was more fact when it was actually more opinion. You were asking for my opinion, I never had an opinion on anything except for apparently things you didn't want to discuss 🤷‍♂️

Okay, then what was my "opinion" ? Creators not making money from adblock users? Doesn't sound like an opinion to me

This simply isn't actually correct for the reason I have given along with many other people as well. But you wanted to argue around all the other things you said you were never interest in rather than the factors around this specifically which make that statement not accurate.

So unless you also want to brand every person that clicks "Skip" on the ads as a leech or a pirate I would not be so ready to put forward this argument. 

People skipping ads are taken into account with this entire business model. You take in account of the cost of giving free samples to attract consumers. It's sort of a similar idea. Its an accounted variable, hence those people aren't pirated or leeches. In fact advertisers and youtube rather needs to figure out a way to show them even more relevant ads for them to click.

But as an adblock user, you are completely shunning down their entire business model. There's nothing opinionated about any of this, but just fact. Whether your moral compass allows you sort of steal things or not is up to the individual. And none of my concern. It's just sad that some people here refuses to accept the consequences of their own actions. And that's diabolical if you ask me.

I was never giving my opinion on anything in relation to this statement I was replying to other than the additional at the end of my post saying that I think the advertisers are abusive and have been granted far more power than they should have and have had wide sweeping creative control over the platform as creators are having to bend to their wills and demands rather than having the freedom to create the content they wish to in the way in which they wish to.

I never asked any opinion about any of this. I asked you what was so anti consumer about having skippable/unskippable ads or something along those topics when you replied with this. Which is a broader issue and not the topic of my discussion.

Nope. I've said the Ad revenue isn't actually as high as people want to make out it is, go read any interview with YouTube creators, and for those smaller creators they rely on funding that is not YouTube Ad revenue. It's generally accepted in the creator community that it is around the 1 million subscriber mark that a channel is able to be self sustaining as a primary income/job however that is also largely due to being about the size where you start getting sponsorship deals.

Did I say it was huge? Did i say it was too small? I said it was fair, given how much YouTube earns. The sad reality the free way of providing content through ads isn't the most profitable way of doing video hosting business, and that's why you dont really see any competition for youtube.

I also gave you plenty of hints to go find and read this post, which is on the same original page a few comments up from yours btw

Well that clears your stand. You should've just quoted this in the beginning. Look Im not going to look for your comments (that weren't directed to me). You understand where Linus came from and that's all that matters. His point is valid. And anyone's who's livlihood depends on ads gets it. So it is just morally wrong for us to be ignorant about it 

5 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

I don't know why someone would take what someone else is doing with their own things so to heart. I can't really say that I care. I just want to point out that it is impossible to argue with such individuals and I'm not gonna waste anymore time on it.

But hey what do I know? Maybe they are Google employees or maybe even Sundar himself. 😅

Nah, my issue is that I have too much hope on humanity. I give people who dont even deserve chances a chance. And the first step to correcting one's ways is to accept what was caused and done.

But reading those comments on the twitter thread (and then here) clearly people are too self absorbed in their own little bubble where they portray themselves to be absolute right. Which is honestly sad, even though I shouldn't be surprised given the absolute nonsensical kind of problems we have in today's world.

What to do, am I right?

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

Grammarly cannot help you with comprehension skills. 

No, Grammarly can tell you if what you wrote is legible or not, genius. And I proved my point and he accepted it. And we've had a much more productive conversation since then. So what is even your problem other than to waste forum server resources?

4 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Nah, my issue is that I have too much hope on humanity. I give people who dont even deserve chances a chance. And the first step to correcting one's ways is to accept what was caused and done.

There are greater concerns in this world than this. If this is was makes you lose hope in humanity .....you sure have me confused. ....Not to mention a loss at words... So moving on..

But reading those comments on the twitter thread (and then here) clearly people are too self absorbed in their own little bubble where they portray themselves to be absolute right. Which is honestly sad, even though I shouldn't be surprised given the absolute nonsensical kind of problems we have in today's world.

Isn't that always the case? Even you do this yourself. What if I was to stop watching Youtube altoghether? Would that benefit content creators? Would me unsubscribing to the channels I subscribed to benefit any of the respective channels? Would it? Would it benefit Youtube, Google or Alphabet Inc? No it wouldn't. You gotto stop seeing the world in black and white mate and step out of your little bubble as you called it.

What to do, am I right?

You are both right and wrong. Right in that if someone watches 200 videos a month on youtube, they could very well be contributing. On this I do agree. But wrong in that it is piracy. You are also wrong in that you seem to think this is the main issue in the world. I don't believe that you do but judging from what you type that is what it seems like. 

I can only speak for myself, and when I say that I'd rather be looking at these forums and see if I can help someone with lets say a PC that don't start than watching people on Youtube play with their gadgets it means that I'd rather do that. Sometimes I may have a video running maybe even in a background tab as I do. If I find it interesting maybe I detach the tab and move it to my other monitor but mostly it's just people talking anyway so I hardly need to watch them talking. I'm saying this so that you can see how people use things in different ways. Where I to stop doing this there would not be an advantage to anyone, would there?

5 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

What to do

Lighten up. spend more time doing things that you like instead of trying to force your will on people on the internet. It's just a waste of effort, I would rather spend it constructive be it learning new skills or improving old ones or just enjoying a game or what not. If you have a Youtube channel and this is making you so unhappy because you're not making enough money from it, take it easy. If people like your content they will come and maybe you make some money but if you expect to be a millionaire you are expecting for too much. I'm just saying, I don't know you or what you do. So there you go.

Right, I'm off to see if I can help somebody with their PC before I continue playing this game on my main monitor.

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Okay, then what was my "opinion" ? Creators not making money from adblock users? Doesn't sound like an opinion to me

It is your opinion that blocking Ads means no revenue for the creator, which is exactly just an opinion and not supported by how the market actually works and what gives value to a YouTube channel and creators.

Block Ads or Skipping them by in large results in the exact same thing, YouTube serves comparatively few un-skippable Ads and I know this to be the case because I don't bother blocking Ads on my PS4 which I do use to watch YouTube as that is one of my devices I use in my theatre room and the one I use to watch YouTube if it's something I want to watch that way. However I use my PC far more often.

Your argument in reality boils down to automating = morally wrong. Somehow it is morally acceptable to manually skip the Ads.

I will always skip Ads given the option whether I do it manually on the PS4 or by AdBlock on the PC, you are in effect trying to convince me that my literal few cents maybe has some kind of moral weight to it that is significant which is is not. And what others do, scale of viewers and habits is again not my problem. I will not change my habits and actions based on what others do. I will support creators, channel owners and YouTube how I choose to or how I choose not to.

I shouldn't need to explain it again however I will, every view leads to revenue for a channel. Every view counts, every view increases the value and worth of a channel, makes it more discoverable, brings more viewers, brings sponsorship opportunity. There is no such thing as a view leading to zero revenue unless it is not a view at all.

That's simply it. You made a statement which just isn't factually correct and all I was offering was a counter point to show it. Others even spoke about very similar points in this topic.

No creator or channel owner or YouTube should be and are expecting Ads revenue from every view because that is literally not how the platform works and it's not even how it's designed to work. This is just a false premise which leads to huge flaws and reasoning in arguments.

YouTube is and has always been free access minimal to zero expectations, profitability is not the concern of the viewer.

8 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

No, Grammarly can tell you if what you wrote is legible or not, genius. And I proved my point and he accepted it. And we've had a much more productive conversation since then. So what is even your problem other than to waste forum server resources?

Really looks like that's what happened.  🙄

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.