I’m Crypto Mining with Norton 360. HoW bAd CoUlD iT bE?

Plouffe
5 hours ago, Moonzy said:

While nicehash advertise that it's newbie friendly (it really is), I'd say it takes at least some know how of how to take care of your PC to really do it the right way and not damage anything

Im gonna look into this, been wanting to check out if i can mine ETH or a similar coin on my 3080TI with a different bios for a while.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Back in the IBM PC Era Norton Antivirus and Commander were well were Well Regarded Utilities for DOS. Starting the Late 90's their Antivirus became worthless.

5 hours ago, Luscious said:

But the fact that mining has resulted in both a GPU shortage and price hike since the first crypto boom back in 2018

So, uhh, Does anyone remember a time at the beginning of the Great shortage, when people claimed that the shortage was because of low yields on Samsung's 8 (I think could be 6)nm process node. Yea, Pepperidge farms remembers.

Now, I'm not discounting your point, it is certainly true that large-scale ethereum crypto-miners have exacerbated the ongoing chp shortage, but it's interesting how some time can change people's perspective.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well Norton ruined any reputation they had for being a decent antivirus, pushing a mining app on a paid antivirus isn't helping them any.

And regained it in next 2-3 years when they entirely redesigned the antivirus. That was 15 years ago and you're all still repeating same bullshit. They didn't ruin reputation by scamming people or whatever, it was just bad design with LiveUpdate regularly just failing to do the most important thing, update the antivirus. And they really elevated the protection. And uninstalling it wasn't problematic anymore as well as they offered uninstall tools if it did fail for whatever reason.

Then again I see how dumb people got with Avast thing few years ago and they still act like rabid clowns when subject is brought up which makes Norton's situation from that much long ago even weirder to still repeat...

7 hours ago, freeagent said:

Norton has sucked donkey balls for 20 years, how are they still around?

The donkeys got smart (hence the emergence of the IT smart ass) so they shifted to sucking monkey balls lol

10 hours ago, Luscious said:

I am unable to get a replacement GPU now should one of my aging cards fail. Assuming I do find one, I'm paying $1800 for it instead of the $800 these were running for previously.

That's probably the scariest part of the whole shortage. I was lucky to ge ta 3080 for a decent price, but should it fail in the next year or so, i'll have to pay at least double of the initial price to even get something similar. A 3060Ti is about the best i could hope for nowadays when looking at the same price i paid for my 3080 in september 2020. It's just horrendous.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Before your PC just came with Windows Defender.

Then your PC just came with a paid virus.

Now your PC comes with a paid virus that mines on your computer, consuming resources when your PC is idle.

Soon your PC will come with a virus that will give you money to sell all your personal data, such as your files.

1 minute ago, Elijah Kamski said:

Before your PC just came with Windows Defender.

Then your PC just came with a paid virus.

Now your PC comes with a paid virus that mines on your computer, consuming resources when your PC is idle.

Soon your PC will come with a virus that will give you money to sell all your personal data, such as your files.

You laugh, but IIRC a number of years ago AVG did something pretty close to that. I'd have to look up the details, but they got caught selling user's personal info.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/avg-releases-transparent-privacy-policy-yes-we-will-sell-your-data/

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I just realised, this is targeted to consumers and not miners.

Because of this, it is likely that the general consumer will not properly manage and take care of their system to prolong it's life, therefore if they are running this on a desktop with a discreet GPU, they may end up shortening the life of the GPU and therefore damaging it and killing it.

This will result in two things:

1) The mining GPUs being sold will now be sketchy as we do not know if they person that used it was a professional miner or not, if they had for example taken care of their system, undervolted it etc. This means that buying a mining GPU will have an increased risk again of it failing.

2) The consumer will end up paying more in the long run because they are not aware of the methods they should take to take care of their GPUs. Resulting in them having to buy new GPUs, resulting in a GPU shortage again (second hand at least), and if bought new, will reinforce the current sky high prices.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

You laugh, but IIRC a number of years ago AVG did something pretty close to that. I'd have to look up the details, but they got caught selling user's personal info.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/avg-releases-transparent-privacy-policy-yes-we-will-sell-your-data/

Wasn't aware of that, but I was aware of something similar with Avast where it sold some data and would be turned on by default, even when it was the premium version of Avast.

1 minute ago, Elijah Kamski said:

Wasn't aware of that, but I was aware of something similar with Avast where it sold some data and would be turned on by default, even when it was the premium version of Avast.

SAdly, it's the norm these days. Free product in exchange for all your base data.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 1 year later...

CRTC investigating Norton for pushing crypto-mining software onto Canadians' computers https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/crtc-investigates-norton-anti-spam-laws at Issue is the installation rather than whether it was enabled or not. Norton Crypto fully shut down after Ethereum went to Proof by Stake.

Edited by danwat1234
last sentence