Can cheap headphones damage your ears or price doesn't matter?

empleat
Go to solution Solved by tikker,
31 minutes ago, empleat said:

Thanks for the answer, but you wasted your time. I already knew all of this...

But since everyone is saying the only factor which matters is loudness, looks like it, I will check for any proof for otherwise later...

While absence of proof isn't proof of absence, it is a sign that if hardly anything points to other sources than loudness as the major driver of hearing loss that there isn't that much more to it. Your supposed sources of damage from the initial post:

1. Noise - I think this has been covered; prolonged exposure to loud noises damages hearing.
  2. Unequal amplicification - in the way you describe it that's just noise in a different way, so it's the same as point 1.
  3. Poor sound quality - why? It may be unpleasant to listen to, but unpleasant noise isn't damaging noise. Mostly becomes point 1 again because you might be more tempted to turn it louder to hear it better or make it sound slightly better.
  4. Standards - This also  raises "why?" with me. Ignoring electrocution or physical damage to your head, how would a poorly built pair of headphones damage your ears? What "regulations and standards" are there to protect your ears?
  5. Vertigo - maybe, but vertigo doesn't damage your ears either. As a side-note, from a quick look at a recent review article the effect of hearing loss on balance seems to still be poorly understood.

As for other potential causes of hearing loss, this article sums up a few for adults:

1. AGE-RELATED DEGENERATIVE PROCESSES
  2. GENETIC MUTATIONS
  3. NOISE EXPOSURE
  4. EXPOSURE TO THERAPEUTIC DRUGS
  5. SMOKING, ADIPOSITY, AND CHRONIC DISEASES
  6. SUDDEN HEARING LOSS

and this one about children adds

1. Trauma
  2. Born with hearing loss
  3. Infections/tumors

So the answer to "can cheap headphones damage your hearing" to me seems to be: not inherently, but they can if you turn them up too loudly or use them in a way that physically damage your ears and hearing-related organs. Additionally, if they were, I think chances are they wouldn't be sold in such large quantities or we'd be seeing a lot more adverts about how bad they are for you.

Hello,

I read that cheap heaphones can damage ears because of multiple reasons... I wonder if that is true, or these sites just want you to buy more expensive headphones... I didn't find yet anything on respectable sources and I have chronic pain (I can barely read 1 sentence) so I wanted to ask... 

Note: I don't care about loudness aspect, any headphones can damage your ears over 85db when listening in prolonged periods...

Claims that supposedly damage ears:

1. noise: they supposedly make a noise

2. unequal sound amplification: because they suffer from poor amplification (they can cause sudden loud noises and jumps in pitch) 

3. poor sound quality

4. cheaper headphones don't go through rigorous testing and to don't adhere to stiff regulations and standards

5. they can cause vertigo

BTW I was also listening to maxed headphones for prolonged time (which are I think 90db~). I knew it was bad, but I was doing that from pain of extreme boredom...

According to this you should not listen more than 60 minutes in one session wow (that's very short period) and according to australian hearing hub: you should not listen to headphones more than 90 minutes per day (I use headphones pretty much 24/7)... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wearing-headphones-just-hour-increase-bacteria-your-ear-kalyani

I have had problems with tinnitus, luckily not all the time, but it could be indicate of multiple things (not necessary hearing loss in my case) although I noticed that I Am understanding worse to spoken word (but I have also pressure in my ears from deviated nasal septum - so it is hard to say what is the cause again)...

So I should definitely consider this into equation... Because I have possibly damaged hearing already (even it doesn't heal) I should not strain it further - I think...

the only thing sound wise that damages your ears are sounds waves that go beyond what your eardrum can handle , meaning loud noises.

the type of sound matters very little compared to the volume. that being said i have two pairs of headphones , one are a 350$ pair of bose qc , and the other are a 15$ pair of sony headphones i got at walgreens years ago. whats strange is the 15$ headphone actually are pretty good considering they were 15$. seriously if they still sell them there id suggest buying these.

I actually found that even some higher-end headpones can be more "fatiguing" to listen to. But idk if listening fatigue has anything to do with long-term damage. I'm interested in what others have to say though.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

15 minutes ago, empleat said:

Hello,

I read that cheap heaphones can damage ears because of multiple reasons... I wonder if that is true, or these sites just want you to buy more expensive headphones... I didn't find yet anything on respectable sources and I have chronic pain (I can barely read 1 sentence) so I wanted to ask... 

Note: I don't care about loudness aspect, any headphones can damage your ears over 85db when listening in prolonged periods...

Claims that supposedly damage ears:

1. noise: they supposedly make a noise

2. unequal sound amplification: because they suffer from poor amplification (they can cause sudden loud noises and jumps in pitch) 

3. poor sound quality

4. cheaper headphones don't go through rigorous testing and to don't adhere to stiff regulations and standards

5. they can cause vertigo

BTW I was also listening to maxed headphones for prolonged time (which are I think 90db~). I knew it was bad, but I was doing that from pain of extreme boredom...

According to this you should not listen more than 60 minutes in one session wow (that's very short period) and according to australian hearing hub: you should not listen to headphones more than 90 minutes per day (I use headphones pretty much 24/7)... https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wearing-headphones-just-hour-increase-bacteria-your-ear-kalyani

I have had problems with tinnitus, luckily not all the time, but it could be indicate of multiple things (not necessary hearing loss in my case) although I noticed that I Am understanding worse to spoken word (but I have also pressure in my ears from deviated nasal septum - so it is hard to say what is the cause again)...

So I should definitely consider this into equation... Because I have possibly damaged hearing already (even it doesn't heal) I should not strain it further - I think...

As someone who ruined their hearing, and now has to deal with a constant ringing comparable to the sound of a phone ringing, don't wear headphones all day. It isn't worth it. Treat your ears nicely, you only really get one good pair. 

The reason some people might say that cheap headphones cause more hearing damage, is because the audio quality is so low, that most people tend to turn them up higher than you would. Buying a higher quality set of cans can allow you to still hear the music, without having to turn it up too loudly. Also, buying one nice pair of headphones is honestly cheaper than continuously buying crappy skull candy headphones. 

Be nice to your ears :).

1 minute ago, connorkincaid said:

As someone who ruined their hearing

Can you elaborate on how? Just loud music?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

As noted above, volume is the x-factor.  But I will also assert that it's probably easier to be cautious with closed-back, OTE cans than it is with earbuds.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

Can you elaborate on how? Just loud music?

I listened to my music at max volume for years, specifically when I was a teenager. As I'm quite a fan of more "violent" kinds of music (hardcore, deathcore, etc.), it didn't make it any better, as the natural volume of those songs is also inherently higher (generally) than your generic pop tunes. 

Thinking back, I was listening to music at that volume for at least 8 years, for about 6-8 hours a day. 

3 minutes ago, IPD said:

As noted above, volume is the x-factor.  But I will also assert that it's probably easier to be cautious with closed-back, OTE cans than it is with earbuds.

Noise cancellation is a big must, not having to turn up the volume as much is super helpful. 

The only drawback of ANC is pressure/noise from sinewave cancellation.  Some situations I would heartily recommend it for.  Daily use without being on public transportation--don't really need it.

3 hours ago, emosun said:

the only thing sound wise that damages your ears are sounds waves that go beyond what your eardrum can handle , meaning loud noises.

the type of sound matters very little compared to the volume. that being said i have two pairs of headphones , one are a 350$ pair of bose qc , and the other are a 15$ pair of sony headphones i got at walgreens years ago. whats strange is the 15$ headphone actually are pretty good considering they were 15$. seriously if they still sell them there id suggest buying these.

Interesting... are you absolutely sure about this?! Do you have some studies, or trusted sources to back this up? So far I read on NIH only about noise being factor in hear loss, however that was an article specifically about "Noise-Induced Hearing Loss"! I just want to be absolutely sure - loudness is the only factor in hearing loss (when using headphones)!!! "trust but verify" 🙂

3 hours ago, IPD said:

I read earbuds are worse, because they are closer to your ears!!!

Also I was thinking: about buying Active Noise Cancellation earbuds, because radiators are making noise in my flat and I can't sleep even 3 hours - it is driving me crazy... And these could help to cancel these noises, it wouldn't be only for music, so I wonder, if it is healthy to sleep with one earbud. Some thing I need to check also...

Loud noises damage the ears, what is the source of the loud noise doesn't really matter, how loud it is, and how much time was spent hearing it does. Headphones if used with lower volumes aren't going to damage your ears, same about earbuds, IEMs, speakers, just make sure to keep the volume on the low side and don't overcompensate for external noises and you're going to be fine.

3 minutes ago, empleat said:

I read earbuds are worse, because they are closer to your ears!!!

As far as I know that is due to the lack of proper isolation, which causes people to increase the volume more than they should, which ends up causing damage.

If you don't exaggerate at the volume it's no problem hearing wise.

I would like to know how you know! I wonder if it isn't it possible that other factors could also play a role (but don't know yet)... I Am just trying to be sure! If you can substantiate your claim I would appreciate it 🙂

Price doesn't matter, wether cheap or expensive. You should never listen at insane volume levels.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I wanted to also a reason at least, or a source. Because I don't really trust random people on internet. But I appreciate your opinion, if you don't want to search for it, that is fine too...

It's not an opinion. @connorkincaidalready shared his experiences so what do you need more?

Put a gun next to your ear, shoot and see what happens to that ear. Or stand next to a vacuum cleaner, turn it off after 5 minutes and you'll the constant ringing.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I actually found that even some higher-end headpones can be more "fatiguing" to listen to. But idk if listening fatigue has anything to do with long-term damage. I'm interested in what others have to say though.

That's a different story. I do have high-end headphones and some are less fatiguing and other headphones much more laidback and fun to listen. The fatiguing thing is more like when using DT770 250ohm and Sennheiser HD560S. I owned both and boy, not fun. Use Tygr 300R and suddenly fatigue is non-existent. Or our Amiron Home, one of the best out there.

Anyway, I'm not gonna trash my ears

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

It's not an opinion. @connorkincaidalready shared his experiences so what do you need more?

Put a gun next to your ear, shoot and see what happens to that ear. Or stand next to a vacuum cleaner, turn it off after 5 minutes and you'll the constant ringing.

What you just said is called a hyperbole! Opinion is not a fact 🤣 

I even said politely: that if you don't want to post source, that it is OK too, you don't have to find it for me... If even this triggers you, than I don't know what does not...

It has been said multiple times that loud volume can cause damage. If you want to damage your ears, they are your body parts.

It doesn't trigger me, nothing is more important than health.

DAC/AMPs:

36 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

That's a different story. I do have high-end headphones and some are less fatiguing and other headphones much more laidback and fun to listen. The fatiguing thing is more like when using DT770 250ohm and Sennheiser HD560S. I owned both and boy, not fun. Use Tygr 300R and suddenly fatigue is non-existent. Or our Amiron Home, one of the best out there.

I noticed it when i first had the DT 990. I'd guess the fatigue was because of the rather sharp sound signature. After a few days i got used to it though and the fatigue was gone. With the Amiron i have now i never had any fatigue. It's just great 😉

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I noticed it when i first had the DT 990. I'd guess the fatigue was because of the rather sharp sound signature. After a few days i got used to it though and the fatigue was gone. With the Amiron i have now i never had any fatigue. It's just great 😉

What do you run for a DAC/AMP?

15 minutes ago, connorkincaid said:

What do you run for a DAC/AMP?

FiiO K5 Pro, and i'm pretty happy with the results.

@CTR640 recently also got a new AMP/DAC for his Amirons afaik.

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Yes, if I'm correctly, that's sibilance. You mean the sharp "ssss" in like voices or reloading guns sound effects? I forcely trained my brain to withstand that.

DAC/AMPs:

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Yes, if I'm correctly, that's sibilance. You mean the sharp "ssss" in like voices or reloading guns sound effects? I forcely trained my brain to withstand that.

From what i remember with my DT 990 it was the overall strong treble. It was great for rock music, but not that great for other genres and took some getting used to. Overall i like the Amirons sound signature and versatility better, which is why i kept that one. But i miss the lightweight design and comfort of the DT 990 Edition's.

38 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

It has been said multiple times that loud volume can cause damage. If you want to damage your ears, they are your body parts.

It doesn't trigger me, nothing is more important than health.

Why would I want damage my ears, you speak sarcastically obviously soooo... 

Saying something multiple times doesn't make it right LMAOOOOOOOOO...

You are probably a bot so...

1 minute ago, empleat said:

Why would I want damage my ears, you speak sarcastically obviously soooo... 

Saying something multiple times doesn't make this right LMAOOOOOOOOO...

You are probably a bot so...

Really don't know what's going on at this point. Has your question been addressed?

2 minutes ago, connorkincaid said:

Really don't know what's going on at this point. Has your question been addressed?

At this point? Makes me sense sarcasm/hate...

Same thing as I asked:

1 hour ago, empleat said:

I wanted to also a reason at least, or a source. Because I don't really trust random people on internet. But I appreciate your opinion, if you don't want to search for it, that is fine too...

I just asked for a source and replied 2 times to this guy, that was it... So question stands, you don't have to answer, if you don't want... That's fine too you know...