ICTable Recreation

thrillride01

I, like many others, fell in love with ICTable when I saw it on LTT's 16K video. By the time I had enough money saved up to get the pro model I wanted, there were issues ordering the product. I was one of the lucky ones as it turns out because a lot of customers that had ordered earlier in 2018 never received their product nor any refunds. I feel bad about how this turned out for them, however, I am still in love with this desk. I do not know anything about laws pertaining to copying someone else's product, but I do think that with a little bit of work, this could be recreated. I run a very small company called DD Light Design and we do 3d printing and laser cutting and etching (No this is not a plug). The point is that from what I have seen, this desk uses extruded aluminum beams just like my 3d printers. I believe it could be done! I would be happy for any feedback on the legalities and or the idea of recreating this desk. If Linus is willing, some close up pictures of the ICTable used in his video would also help. I do not want to go into business doing this, but I would be willing to help those who got scammed at least get a product at a little over cost. Please let me know what you all think.

My understanding of how laws work for that is there is patent, trademark, and copywrite, and they are different.  It would depend on whether any patents were filed for that desk (which may or may not have happened, in which case all you likely would have to deal with is copywrite, which is much tighter and easier to get around. Wouldn’t exempt you from trademark though, which usually (but not always) only applies to logos and names.  There have been instances where copywrite shave been eenforced with the broad base of a patent (the tizio lamp comes to mind) but that was a famously about ive situation and usually doesn’t happen.  There are also rules about copywrite defense which are quite strict. Patents can also be gotten around though it is generally harder.  One case I remember crime automobiles is back when Porsche cut its 928 engine in half for the 944 they patented the concept of the balance shaft for it which Chrysler got around by putting the balance shaft in a bolt on housing below the oil pan rather than in it.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks for your reply, I am working through how to search for a patent now. I do not know if they have one or not, but if they do, I wish there were a way to invalidate it do to the fact that they scammed people with it.

1 hour ago, thrillride01 said:

Thanks for your reply, I am working through how to search for a patent now. I do not know if they have one or not, but if they do, I wish there were a way to invalidate it do to the fact that they scammed people with it.

you can't invalidate a patent because the company didn't make it. an idea is still an idea and still belongs to the patent holder. However if they are no longer producing the desk and/or not in business, the chance of them suing you for making it I assume will be smaller. I'm not a legal expert in any way and I'm not actually sure of the specific desk we're talking and the scamming situation. But just from a basic level, if you just make a few of these and you're not making a business out of it, I'd imagine from what you described the risk is pretty low. Depending on what made the desk patentable if it even is, you could make some changes and improve the design to essentially make a new design and patent that. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, thrillride01 said:

My memory is Patent searches are something you have done rather than something you do.  There’s a whole legal specialization that deals with just patent stuff.  Patent law is a very weird thing and to some degree runs by it’s own rules.  You might be able to show the thing is in some way a perpetual motion machine for example, which would invalidate the patent. (It’s expressly illegal to patent perpetual motion machines. Prior art is another big one, which is why no one patented the wheel)

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I suspect the easy way around this one is just call and ask. The thing about tables is they’ve been around a long time, so prior art is a thing. Also if you just produce measure drawings it THEY didn’t also make measure drawings to sell its a different product even if the the thing people produce WITH your product breaks whatever.  Also if you give the things away it throws a wrench in things.  For one there’s no money to make a lawsuit worthwhile, and for another if there’s zero profit often there’s zero grounds.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I suspect the easy way around this one is just call and ask. The thing about tables is they’ve been around a long time, so prior art is a thing. Also if you just produce measure drawings it THEY didn’t also make measure drawings to sell its a different product even if the the thing people produce WITH your product breaks whatever.  Also if you give the things away it throws a wrench in things.  For one there’s no money to make a lawsuit worthwhile, and for another if there’s zero profit often there’s zero grounds.

Art is not the correct term to use. Patents are for inventions, copyright is for art. 

So prior art is irrelevant. As for patents, you can't patent something simple or everyday common such as a basic table. You need to demonstrate that it has a unique feature or aspect that takes it beyond a simple desk or table. 

10 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Art is not the correct term to use. Patents are for inventions, copyright is for art. 

So prior art is irrelevant. As for patents, you can't patent something simple or everyday common such as a basic table. You need to demonstrate that it has a unique feature or aspect that takes it beyond a simple desk or table. 

Ah.  That makes sense.  I was educated in fine art which is a lot more concerned with copyright than patent.  Both are concerned with previous stuff though.  Not knowing much about the actual design, there could be some oddity like a special hinge system or special measurements for a particular effect or something.  It’s amazing what people manage to patent.  I got a sister who’s pretty good friends with a patent attorney.  Apparently the only thing weirder than patent law is reservation law. That’s supposed to be a really impressively shitty mess.

Edited by Bombastinator