warzone 7.1 surround sound gsx 1000 and gsp 550

carlito2727

I have gsp 550 and a gsx 1000. I noticed that I can turn on 7.1 by lowering the audio format to 16 bit, 48000 Hz. I feel like when enabling 7.1 with the gsx, the sound is way better (could be just me).

By lowering to 16 bit 48000 Hz, how much am I loosing in terms of audio quality vs the other options like 24 bit 96000 Hz, 48000 Hz... My question is specifically for games, what's recommended for best audio in terms of hearing the sounds from the correct directions.

The best option is not to use the virtual 7.1. Use 2 channel stereo for the best audio quality if that what you're after.

this is a fact.

the software in virtual 7.1 makes the sound degraded.

If you want the best audio experience use stereo. 7.1 in a headset is just bad.

i have GSP 670, HD598 and Beardynamic DT 1990 pro and ive use the Turtlebeah DSS2, also razor 7.1 software. Nothing compares to stereo, 7.1 is a gimmick.

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

59 minutes ago, carlito2727 said:

I have gsp 550 and a gsx 1000. I noticed that I can turn on 7.1 by lowering the audio format to 16 bit, 48000 Hz. I feel like when enabling 7.1 with the gsx, the sound is way better (could be just me).

Tbh here. Some "audiophiles" has claimed that the "7.1 surround" in the GSX 1000 is pretty good for what it is. I still wouldn't use for anything to get the best quality.

59 minutes ago, carlito2727 said:

By lowering to 16 bit 48000 Hz, how much am I loosing in terms of audio quality vs the other options like 24 bit 96000 Hz, 48000 Hz... My question is specifically for games, what's recommended for best audio in terms of hearing the sounds from the correct directions

Also this is essentially inaudible. Because the limit for the human ears are up to 20khz so changing that doesn't do anything. It mostly has to do with recording with ultrasounds if I'm correct. Not sure how it really works.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

6 hours ago, carlito2727 said:

I feel like when enabling 7.1 with the gsx, the sound is way better (could be just me).

I think you're confusing different with better by already having a pre-conceived notion of what you believe to be more beneficial. Obviously we'd all like to believe that 7.1 Surround is what it claims to be, but the objective measurements say otherwise. You can't have 7.1 (8) channels on a stereo Dynamic Driver headphone.

Someone using headphones with superior lateral and horizontal stereo imaging capabilities will always hold the competitive advantage over someone utilizing a 7.1 surround DSP.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

7 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

I think you're confusing different with better by already having a pre-conceived notion of what you believe to be more beneficial. Obviously we'd all like to believe that 7.1 Surround is what it claims to be, but the objective measurements say otherwise. You can't have 7.1 (8) channels on a stereo Dynamic Driver headphone.

Someone using headphones with superior lateral and horizontal stereo imaging capabilities will always hold the competitive advantage over someone utilizing a 7.1 surround DSP.

You are right, I just got the gsx 1000 a few days ago and after doing lots of testing. I can notice the difference now. When turning on the 7.1, I can actually feel like the quality is not the same. On the other hand, I feel like the sound comes from way further. I guess it's also personal preference. 

On 1/15/2022 at 5:12 AM, carlito2727 said:

You are right, I just got the gsx 1000 a few days ago and after doing lots of testing. I can notice the difference now. When turning on the 7.1, I can actually feel like the quality is not the same. On the other hand, I feel like the sound comes from way further. I guess it's also personal preference. 

For me every virtual surround had a noticeable "hallway effect". Everything sounded echo-ish like i'm standing in an empty room or hallway.

So far the only virtual surround that doesn't result in worse quality is software based Dolby Atmos. But that isn't a free toggle in windows or another app. But it also doesn't sound that much "better" (in terms of positional audio) than just plain stereo.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

If your concern is best experience especially when ymusing Virtual surround sound I would keep using the 7.1 setting. But your concern is crispiest sound I would use at least the 24 but bitrate. Your concern is game audio so honestly you might be gainging more than your losing using that headset and dac. 

On 1/14/2022 at 2:24 PM, HOOTSMON said:

The best option is not to use the virtual 7.1. Use 2 channel stereo for the best audio quality if that what you're after.

this is a fact.

the software in virtual 7.1 makes the sound degraded.

If you want the best audio experience use stereo. 7.1 in a headset is just bad.

i have GSP 670, HD598 and Beardynamic DT 1990 pro and ive use the Turtlebeah DSS2, also razor 7.1 software. Nothing compares to stereo, 7.1 is a gimmick.

you know virtual surround surround is algorithms right?

you know the game you play is a virtual world and sound in that game is made with algorithms?

are all game sound made equal? with same budget?

i always find these comments funny

if you want to try other algorithms

try hesuvi you get many of them and they are wonderful for games with shit sound

On 1/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, pas008 said:

you know virtual surround surround is algorithms right?

you know the game you play is a virtual world and sound in that game is made with algorithms?

are all game sound made equal? with same budget?

i always find these comments funny

if you want to try other algorithms

try hesuvi you get many of them and they are wonderful for games with shit sound

Ok, doesn't change that stereo is considered unanimously superior across sources and through my own extensive use. 

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

2 minutes ago, HOOTSMON said:

Ok, doesn't change that stereo is considered unanimously superior across sources and through my own extensive use. 

lol obviously you didnt cause many wouldnt be conflicted about this,

try hesuvi(many vss to choose from there) you can tell the differences right away between them

imo helps on games with shit sound no matter if you choose headphones and/or 5.1/7.1, some games I have used headphones in the game setting and sbx, some 5.1/71 and sbx

some games i dont have to do shit cause sounds right when you are just messing around and trying to get immersed

atmos part is nice also

stereo for music mostly

but if you listen to quadraphonic songs/records/etc it helps with immersion on headphones also

22 minutes ago, pas008 said:

lol obviously you didnt cause many wouldnt be conflicted about this,

try hesuvi(many vss to choose from there) you can tell the differences right away between them

imo helps on games with shit sound no matter if you choose headphones and/or 5.1/7.1, some games I have used headphones in the game setting and sbx, some 5.1/71 and sbx

some games i dont have to do shit cause sounds right when you are just messing around and trying to get immersed

atmos part is nice also

stereo for music mostly

but if you listen to quadraphonic songs/records/etc it helps with immersion on headphones also

You probably just have different ears lol.

I'll look into this though its interesting.

Wonder why the pro scene done use this stuff, and why all audiophiles gag at the mention of it, probably because it doesn't produce the best results for sound quality and directional awareness. May work well with "gamer" audio equipment to be fair and that stuff doesn't sound that good to start off with but thats the target demographic of virtual 7.1 hence why its plastered all over the products. 

1 hour ago, HOOTSMON said:

You probably just have different ears lol.

I'll look into this though its interesting.

Wonder why the pro scene done use this stuff, and why all audiophiles gag at the mention of it, probably because it doesn't produce the best results for sound quality and directional awareness. May work well with "gamer" audio equipment to be fair and that stuff doesn't sound that good to start off with but thats the target demographic of virtual 7.1 hence why its plastered all over the products. 

gamer gear?

i have owned many dacs, amps, and like over 50 headphones

and tried many others even sound cards

still have hd600, q701, dt770, he400, hd558,o2combo, dragonfly, zxr (even made this external when i was running sli plus 3rd card), plus

i use x7 with main rig has sbx

hesuvi is on everything else

michael-jackson-michael.gif

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

15 hours ago, pas008 said:

gamer gear?

i have owned many dacs, amps, and like over 50 headphones

and tried many others even sound cards

still have hd600, q701, dt770, he400, hd558,o2combo, dragonfly, zxr (even made this external when i was running sli plus 3rd card), plus

i use x7 with main rig has sbx

hesuvi is on everything else

Sorry man didn't mean that at you im talking about the general 7.1 crowd, you didn't need to rattle off entry level headphones and a average DAC/AMP thing.  HD600 are fantastic regardless.  

Sennhieser GSP 670

37 minutes ago, HOOTSMON said:

Sorry man didn't mean that at you im talking about the general 7.1 crowd, you didn't need to rattle off entry level headphones and a average DAC/AMP thing.  HD600 are fantastic regardless.  

no the point is you need to understand vss dobly dts etc etc are here to stay because they work and very well, algorithms are digital and they work lol

and this audiophile purity shit can stop its getting old and it  costs people money on top of money

dont get me wrong i love my 7.2 and many of my headphones(which some i cant let go) but telling me they dont need any enhancements is just pure dumb

and rattle off entry level headphones amp dac thing?Sennhieser GSP 670 in sig

boy keep spending you will see sound isnt as complicated as you make it hd558 1990 arent anything special either

custom cables oh wow they must have made your ears orgasm in joy lol

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Sennhieser GSP 670

no the point is you need to understand vss dobly dts etc etc are here to stay because they work and very well, algorithms are digital and they work lol

and this audiophile purity shit can stop its getting old and it  costs people money on top of money

dont get me wrong i love my 7.2 and many of my headphones(which some i cant let go) but telling me they dont need any enhancements is just pure dumb

and rattle off entry level headphones amp dac thing?Sennhieser GSP 670 in sig

boy keep spending you will see sound isnt as complicated as you make it hd558 1990 arent anything special either

custom cables oh wow they must have made your ears orgasm in joy lol

OK buddy as long as you're happy. Once you hear it you will know, that i can guarantee. You will no doubt in the future get some kit, maybe not completely customize it to the sound signature you want because its a ball ache,  and hear the difference. "keep spending" lol you think quality stops at your price point? guess again. It far exceeds mine. Talking about custom cables..ist not the fact they are custom its what they are made from. You just dont understand. 

dont stay salty, ascend and join us!!!!

2 hours ago, HOOTSMON said:

OK buddy as long as you're happy. Once you hear it you will know, that i can guarantee. You will no doubt in the future get some kit, maybe not completely customize it to the sound signature you want because its a ball ache,  and hear the difference. "keep spending" lol you think quality stops at your price point? guess again. It far exceeds mine. Talking about custom cables..ist not the fact they are custom its what they are made from. You just dont understand. 

dont stay salty, ascend and join us!!!!

lol exactly try hesuvi once you hear the difference and you will know!

there is a difference between hearing something over there and hearing someone behind that crate

guess again lol its made to do what its suppose lol you act like science hasnt been all over this, I understand science but not audiophile myths that let your brain think its doing something else

if you know people that have perfect pitch and a musician , you will find that they dont go all audiophile nuts, and when audiophiles do go all nuts(tubes/etc) they are actually altering the sound  to their liking which is like eq'ing or using autotune

11 minutes ago, pas008 said:

lol exactly try hesuvi once you hear the difference and you will know!

there is a difference between hearing something over there and hearing someone behind that crate

guess again lol its made to do what its suppose lol you act like science hasnt been all over this, I understand science but not audiophile myths that let your brain think its doing something else

if you know people that have perfect pitch and a musician , you will find that they dont go all audiophile nuts, and when audiophiles do go all nuts(tubes/etc) they are actually altering the sound  to their liking which is like eq'ing or using autotune

its nothing like eq'ing or auto tune with software lol. You have no idea sorry, I hope one day you can experience it. 

1 hour ago, HOOTSMON said:

its nothing like eq'ing or auto tune with software lol. You have no idea sorry, I hope one day you can experience it. 

lol i have many times

hope one day you realize the audiophile myths are myths

here tell me there isnt a difference lol

14 hours ago, pas008 said:

lol i have many times

hope one day you realize the audiophile myths are myths

here tell me there isnt a difference lol

you're using YouTube for an audio test? looooooooooooool

Sorry i use Tidal and the actual games. 

"its the best because its what i have" isn't how this works.

"more expensive doesn't mean better" wrong

"listen to this YouTube to prove audio quality" what?

I'm done mate stop giving people audio advice, you think an x7 is where it ends ffs lol its not even the start! Good thing the OP has a better set up than you he may have considered getting one.

7 hours ago, HOOTSMON said:

you're using YouTube for an audio test? looooooooooooool

Sorry i use Tidal and the actual games. 

"its the best because its what i have" isn't how this works.

"more expensive doesn't mean better" wrong

"listen to this YouTube to prove audio quality" what?

I'm done mate stop giving people audio advice, you think an x7 is where it ends ffs lol its not even the start! Good thing the OP has a better set up than you he may have considered getting one.

lol obviously there is a difference in that video

its gaming and you act like a snob and cant even say there is cause it hurts your feeling that vss has noticeably differences

lol good be done anyone can notice it

3 hours ago, pas008 said:

lol obviously there is a difference in that video

its gaming and you act like a snob and cant even say there is cause it hurts your feeling that vss has noticeably differences

lol good be done anyone can notice it

ok