It's the magic of Folding - Honor announces the Magic V, its first foldable smartphone

Lightwreather

Summary

Former Huawei sub-brand Honor has just announced its first foldable smartphone, the Honor Magic V. It uses a similar folding form factor to Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold devices, combining a large internal folding display with a smaller external display that can be used while the device is folded. Today is the foldable’s Chinese launch, where its price starts at ¥9,999 (around $1,569) for its 256GB storage model. It will go on open sale on January 18th.

d81jWLiA_cropped.0.jpg

Quotes

The Magic V’s flagship feature, its internal folding screen, measures 7.9 inches from corner to corner, has a resolution of 2272 x 1984 with a refresh rate of 90Hz, and an aspect ratio of 10:9. That’s slightly bigger than Samsung’s Z Fold 3, whose internal screen is 7.6 inches with a resolution of 2208 x 1768. Honor says the Magic V’s internal screen is like using two 21:9 screens side by side.

The Magic V’s external screen is also slightly larger than the Z Fold 3 at 6.45 inches (compared to 6.2 for Samsung), with a resolution of 2560 x 1080, a 120Hz refresh rate, and a 21:9 aspect ratio. Honor says this will help make the device more usable when you don’t want to unfold it.

Internally, the Magic V is running Qualcomm’s latest chipset, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, which is paired with 12GB of RAM and 256GB or 512GB of storage. It’s got a 4,750mAh battery that can be charged at up to 66W, which gives you a 50 percent charge in 15 minutes. It’s 5G compatible and is running Honor’s Magic UI 6.0 software on top of Android 12, which supports the display of multiple app windows at the same time, Honor says.

In terms of cameras, Honor has included a trio of 50-megapixel sensors on the rear of the foldable, which include a main sensor, an ultrawide camera, and something Honor is calling a “spectrum enhanced camera.” We’ve followed up with the company for details on what exactly this third camera does. The Magic V has a pair of 42-megapixel selfie cameras, one embedded in the outer display, and one embedded in the inner folding screen.

My thoughts

More Folding phones are on the horizon, and this time it's Honor. Tbh, First thing I thought when I saw this is, "Woah, Orange" and the second, "That looks an awful lot like the Galaxy Z Fold 3". Well, it's also priced to match the Z fold so, I was a little disappointed. I was Expecting somethign a little more competitively priced that would lower the average cost of foldables, but eh. With the new Snapdrgon flagship, it's probably going to be able to compete, if not exceed the performance of, the Z Fold 3 (which look to be it's primary competitor). All-in-all, I am feeling hopeful and perhaps a bit for optimistic of a folding future (tho whether that ends happening or not, only time will tell (I tried to get a hold of him, but I couldn't find his contact details))

Sources

TheVerge

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

My reaction seeing this title

60qds9.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

t uses a similar folding form factor to Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold devices

more like a bloody knock off, look at the folding mechanism, they didn't even try to hide the fact it was stolen.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Notably being the first foldable phone running a snapdragon 8G1, the honor magic V has a similar scale to the galaxy fold

Quotes

The external screen’s dimensions are much closer to what you’d see on a regular smartphone which should make typing and other everyday tasks that much easier. Honor stressed the importance of having a usable cover screen on the Magic V and even compared its solution on stage next to the Galaxy Z Fold3 and its tall and narrow 25:9 outward screen.

gsmarena_005.jpg

Magic V’s main 7.9-inch flexible OLED screen offers 90Hz refresh rate and 2272 x 1984px resolution. The aspect ratio here is 10.3:9 which divides into two areas of close to 21:9 aspect using two apps side by side. You also get HDR10+ support and 10bit colors as well as 800nits peak brightness. Magic V is also the first foldable to boast IMAX Enhanced certification.

Honor is bringing 12GB RAM as standard on all versions of the Magic V while storage varies between 256GB and 512GB. A 4,750 mAh battery with 66W wired charging is tasked with keeping the device up and running. The software side is covered by Magic UI 6.0 based on Android 12.

My thoughts

Still rather pricy for a foldable, the battery is also rather lackluster. Wonder will this get an international release?

Sources

https://www.gsmarena.com/honor_magic_v_is_the_first_folding_phone_with_a_snapdragon_8_gen_1_chipset-news-52610.php

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

kinda want

but kinda dont because of Honor mediocre software

why dont they just use the same sw as huawei and coat it with a hoonor theme and gapps is beyond me

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

@williamcllMerged into existing thread.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2