Can't get my memory at 3200mhz again pls help

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200g (which is why I really want to get back at 3200mhz)

RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb 3200mhz DDR4

Motherboard: Rog strix B450-E Gaming (bios version 3004 x64)

Running windows 11

So after trying to get valorant to work by messing with the bios settings a bit I got stuck in a bootloop, I did not touch the memory settings at all, but after clearing cmos and turning on all my old settings, everytime I try to put my memory back at 3200mhz using DOCP or manual it just goes back to a bootloop, how can I fix this?

1 minute ago, MechanicCactuss said:

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200g (which is why I really want to get back at 3200mhz)

RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb 3200mhz DDR4

Motherboard: Rog strix B450-E Gaming (bios version 3004 x64)

Running windows 11

So after trying to get valorant to work by messing with the bios settings a bit I got stuck in a bootloop, I did not touch the memory settings at all, but after clearing cmos and turning on all my old settings, everytime I try to put my memory back at 3200mhz using DOCP or manual it just goes back to a bootloop, how can I fix this?

Do you let it try and figure itself out? A boot loop after setting DOCP is likely the mobo trying to train the RAM. It may take a few tries for it to successfully post. Have you let it go for a while to see if it eventually does post?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Was all of the ram bought in a kit together or were the modules purchased separately?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Was all of the ram bought in a kit together or were the modules purchased separately?

purchased one kit in 2020 and another in 2021, exact same specs, worked fine until I started messing with settings to try and get valorant to work (tutorials saying to regenerate secure boot keys and change to uefi mode or smth in secure boot)

7 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Do you let it try and figure itself out? A boot loop after setting DOCP is likely the mobo trying to train the RAM. It may take a few tries for it to successfully post. Have you let it go for a while to see if it eventually does post?

just ends in a screen saying it was reset ro default memory settings (while not actually resetting any settings)

purchased one kit in 2020 and another in 2021, exact same specs, worked fine until I started messing with settings to try and get valorant to work (tutorials saying to regenerate secure boot keys and change to uefi mode or smth in secure boot)

Reset the CMOS and try enabling DOCP again. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

9 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Does it work if you put in just 2 sticks?

Yes, but when putting back the other 2 (so back to 4 sticks) it goes back to looping

20 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Reset the CMOS and try enabling DOCP again. 

same thing happens

Just now, MechanicCactuss said:

Yes, but when putting back the other 2 (so back to 4 sticks) it goes back to looping

same thing happens

18 minutes ago, MechanicCactuss said:

Well, the thing here is they aren't a singular kit, you're using two separate kits which even if they are the exact same model and everything may still not be compatible with each other. Mix matching ram even if it's the same exact kits can have these types of issues and commonly do. Are you positive that when you added the second kit the first time it didn't default to 2133mhz? Did you manually set it back to 3200mhz the first time when it worked before? You may have to manually adjust the timings or voltages for the kits to work in tandem. 

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Well, the thing here is they aren't a singular kit, you're using two separate kits which even if they are the exact same model and everything may still not be compatible with each other. Mix matching ram even if it's the same exact kits can have these types of issues and commonly do. Are you positive that when you added the second kit the first time it didn't default to 2133mhz? Did you manually set it back to 3200mhz the first time when it worked before? You may have to manually adjust the timings or voltages for the kits to work in tandem. 

I dont know if they were at 3200mhz for sure but now that you mention it they might have defaulted to 2133mhz without me touching anything

how can I manually adjust the timings? they seem to all be locked on auto

24 minutes ago, MechanicCactuss said:

I dont know if they were at 3200mhz for sure but now that you mention it they might have defaulted to 2133mhz without me touching anything

how can I manually adjust the timings? they seem to all be locked on auto

I would recommend you watch a video and study up on timings and voltages while overclocking ram. You DO NOT want to mess it up. It's a little complicated to explain over the forums, I would find a nice educational tutorial with someone using the same as or same type of motherboard as you. If you don't feel comfortable manually overclocking your ram, I don't recommend it.

Check the versions on those - I bought my two kits about a month apart and ended up with one pair of Samsung B-die (v4.x) that would run at significantly faster than the rated speeds... and one pair of "v5.xx", EXACTLY THE SAME CORSIAR PART NUMBER (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit), but were not the same hardware at all: Corsair switched them for Hynix. Technically it's not fraudulent as they would still run at the same rated speeds (as a pair), but I couldn't get them to run at anything close to even the rated specs if I mixed those with the Corsair "CMK16GX4M2B3200C16" that were Samsung B-die.

I've recently had quite a long discussion on this (and other things), but here are the two posts you'll need:

This is the comment with the details of what you'll need to query your memory - if it isn't obvious from the labels: HERE

This other thread is more about the GSkill replacements I was running, but I went into the detail about the Corsair switch that sounds likely to be the same as your problems: HERE

Summary was that I had to choose:

1) replace the less compatible DIMMs - i.e. hunt around and hope I could find 2 more of the older stock, Samsung B-Die modules.... and then HOPE that my memory controller could run all 4 at the rated speeds.

2) remove 2 sticks and downgrade from 32Gb to 16Gb (I did this while testing each pair in isolation)

3) clock down slightly (3133Mhz at rated timings was compatible - so still a LOT faster than 2133Mhz, but just not quite what you're paying for)

4) loosen timings (I took the timings off a much cheaper CAS18 module and tried those at 3200Mhz - slower than option #3 but just to prove it could be done)

5) replace the whole lot

I did #3 as the main solution, #1 seemed like too much of a gamble, so eventually went for #5 and although my CPU can't get over 3200Mhz, I'm now running 32Gb (2x16Gb Gskil) at 3200Mhz with VERY tight timings 🙂

I won't be going back to Corsair for my memory any time soon - it's the end of using them for nearly 10yr+ as a preferred supplier, but that type of same-label bait and switch has to have consequences - the last time I actively chose to use anybody else, it was my OCZ DDR1 memory in my AMD Socket 939 build!

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced a drop in mhz after adding memory to my system.

Ryzen 5 1600x

2X8gb Gskill Red Ripjaws 16-16-16-36.1 (Samsung) Version 1.0

Asrock AB350 Fatality Gaming K4

Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500gb nvme

Win 10 Pro

I added a second set of 2X8gb Gskill Red Ripjaws 16-16-16-36.1 (Samsung).

My timings dropped to 931mhz.

I did not enable XMP on the original build and I really did not notice that my memory was running below stock when the other 16gbs were added. From the looks on the surface both sets had the exact same specs. I added memory for video editing so the more memory (32gb)seemed more important than speed. I did not pay attention to how throttled back my speed actually was reduced.

I enabled XMP in UEFI and the computer would not boot. The loop that occurs sometimes with the XMP 2.0 profile went on and the machine locked up. On a hard boot the timings were returned to 931mhz. Checked each stick with memtest and passed with flying colors. I was thinking something else was wrong because I run 2 machines off of a HDMI KVM switch. Just got a new 32 inch monitor and the computer listed kept having the flickers on the monitor. This happened on either channel of the KVM switch after I tried running in XMP 2.0 mode. Kept reading about a tool called thaiphoon and decided to give it a try. Well I will post the snapshots of my 2 sets of ram and low and behold they are not the same and when running the first set in A2 and B2 slots I can hit 3200mhz as easy as turning on XMP 2.0. Booted right up and no flicker on the monitor. I have mixed other sets of ram like this and have not had a problem so I must have been lucky. These 2 sets were bought almost a year apart. I just wanted to add that thaiphoon burner (freeware) is a really neat and useful tool for checking build specs on memory. I hope this helps with someone's memory problems. It shows that it is true about buying a set of memory that its better to buy a matched set rather than 2 separate sets if you can afford it. Will see if I can loosen timings and run 32gb or if using different mem slots might help. We will see.

Snap116202291636PM.png

Snap116202291558PM.png

Screenshot 2022-01-17 003532.png