Samsung just made everything else OBSOLETE

James

Samsung Display invited us to see their new OLED TV's that use a radically different technology than LG's WOLED displays: quantum dots inkjet printed directly onto an all-blue emissive layer. Find out why we can't wait to see these panels come to premium TVs and ultrawide gaming monitors in 2022.

19 minutes ago, James said:

inkjet printed

That's all well and good, until the printer runs out of blue ink halfway through the print job.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's all well and good, until the printer runs out of blue ink halfway through the print job.

Well you'd hope this kind of advanced technology gives out according alarms before it's too late 😄

I genuinely really excited about these displays!

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Well you'd hope this kind of advanced technology gives out according alarms before it's too late 😄

And you'd hope that advanced technology isn't made by HP 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Sounds great I am procrastinating on a new tv so am interested. 

In time if they release a non RGB monitor like what I have now in a 32" 4k size range and can guarantee acceptable minimal burn in levels when doing non gaming or movie tasks Ill be interested in it for my computer. 

Will be interesting to see. 

I have 2 32" 4K displays that I run on my computer. MY main one is one of the FALD Asus Pro Art's and while it is not OLED it is better than the horrendous back light glow I had to put up with on my other non FALD monitor when doing anything dark. 

If this is a cure for burn in than absolutely fantastic as OLED is really incredible viewing but if not than that will be sad. 

15 minutes ago, William Payne said:

If this is a cure for burn in

Wouldn't a screensaver prevent burn-in? Or is it unrelated to that 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Burn in is related to having something in the same place for long periods of time. I dont just game. I may have 4 windows open at once and be that way working for hours. That may be a burn in problem. 

There are plenty of ways to minimise burn in when not in use but I use my computer for many different tasks and often that is not gaming.

Lol that title is full on clickbait.  The did the Samsung rep push you guys into going with that one?  There's no need for that since the tech is genuinely exciting

Hopefully it's possible to get this.. Below 3 years or 2k🤔

This comment can't bite my ass in 3 years.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 minute ago, marcgii said:

Lol that title is full on clickbait.  The did the Samsung rep push you guys into going with that one?  There's no need for that since the tech is genuinely exciting

Of course it is clickbait. That is the whole business model of youtube, get people to watch the video. They have to push towards people who may otherwise not watch it. 

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

Of course it is clickbait. That is the whole business model of youtube, get people to watch the video. They have to push towards people who may otherwise not watch it. 

Linus has argued his titles aren't really clickbait because they don't misrepresent the content.  Or at least it was something along those lines.  Whether you agree depends on your definition of "clickbait".

Anyway I'm only calling out the title because I feel they went too far with it this time.  But maybe it's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The title of this video and thumbnail are terrible because they tell you almost nothing about the content of the video. The only information that can be ascertained from the title and thumbnail is that the video is about a Samsung product. LTT does this all the time this is not new and sometimes the title and thumbnail tell you nothing about the content of the video. I find it super frustrating and I wish they would just tell me what the video is about.

5 minutes ago, darwin006 said:

The title of this video and thumbnail are terrible because they tell you almost nothing about the content of the video. The only information that can be ascertained from the title and thumbnail is that the video is about a Samsung product. LTT does this all the time this is not new and sometimes the title and thumbnail tell you nothing about the content of the video. I find it super frustrating and I wish they would just tell me what the video is about.

this I can relate. The title and photo has no reference at all about what the video is about. 

1 hour ago, marcgii said:

Yeah them using clickbait to the point of it being really annoying isn't new, but I agree this goes too far, it doesn't tell me anything about the video. But I was curious enough after reading about the QD OLED tech, I closed the tab after seeing "sponsored by Samsung". I think the tech is cool, but I'd rather wait until someone has these monitors to review than watch an ad for Samsung.

I love how someone aimlessly in youtube comment section say this will destroy the serviceability of this monitor.

Firstly: Its already hard to fix an IPS panel in the first place, so why bother?

Secondly: If QD actually did their job right, a replacement panel would be cheap to come by, with maybe unauthorized panel maker possible in the future.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

The truth comes when they can get:

2160p

120+hz

40"+ size

2000-3000r

~5 years without any burn-in issues

<$2000

If they can hit that holy grail of requirements...I will be waiting with cash in hand.

Well the fact that Samsung continues to dodge the burn-in question is clear indication that this may not be as "peachy" as they make it out to be. Remember also this is their own tech demo, unlike a review, so it WILL be biased heavily.

I'm still a firm believer in IPS and those 38 inch curved LG 3840x1600 panels are very hard to beat for something that's good at both gaming and work. I've dealt with OLED and never EVER want to go back to that experience again. Even on a smartphone screen the burn-in is damaging let alone on a monitor you sit in front of every day with windows open for hours at a time. There's just no way you're going to compensate for that with a screen saver or any kind of crazy pixel shift without interfering with either the user experience or image display quality.

I can see setups where folks would have dual monitors with an OLED incorporated for doing color-accurate work, but that's hardly an elegant solution and doesn't really work well for movie watching either if it isn't the primary display, or for gaming likewise. Ergonomics also play a factor, and ideally you would want to stack two 32:9 displays and make it decidedly more usable. What you cannot do is have one of them an OLED and the other a LCD or IPS, either because the same brand doesn't make it or they are a different size altogether.

As for that QDOLED perceived reliability and longevity - find me an OLED display that's still rocking 5+ years old. My original LG 34UM95 that I bought in May of 2014 is still doing daily duty with the same image quality and performance as new. And that's not me being a LG fanboy or reviewer - that's true testimony from an actual owner who pushes his gear hard every day.

6 hours ago, Luscious said:

I bought in May of 2014 is still doing daily duty with the same image quality and performance as new.

I doubt it. The colour of LCDs will shift over time. The phosphorous material surrounding the blue LED and turning it into a white LED might get a brown tint, some plastics might yellow and the colours in the filters might fade away. All displays gradually age and get worse, but colour changes are way less noticeable than luminance changes (that's why 4:2:2 exists).

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Leaving one picture on your OLED for a few days might create some temporary image retention, but this is not burn in. As it has "temporary" in it's name it goes away after a few minutes (or hours worst-case). But that will never happen because ANY OLED display will have a built-in screensaver that will activate once it detects no movement for a few minutes.

Burn-in is permanent degradation that accumulates over hundrets or thousands of hours of use time. And a screen saver can only do so much if you mainly use it when it's on either way.

11 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah them using clickbait to the point of it being really annoying isn't new, but I agree this goes too far, it doesn't tell me anything about the video. But I was curious enough after reading about the QD OLED tech, I closed the tab after seeing "sponsored by Samsung". I think the tech is cool, but I'd rather wait until someone has these monitors to review than watch an ad for Samsung.

Even though the video is sponsored the values they're talking about were measured by LTT's own staff and own tools. I personally trust their integrity enough to make a few conclusions with this data they measured. So even though it's an ad there is useful information in the video. If you trust that information is up to you. Of course they only talk about positives in a sponsored video but that doesn't directly mean the information is wrong for the sake of marketing.

9 hours ago, Luscious said:

Well the fact that Samsung continues to dodge the burn-in question is clear indication that this may not be as "peachy" as they make it out to be. Remember also this is their own tech demo, unlike a review, so it WILL be biased heavily.

The fact that Dell's 34" QD-OLED monitor comes with a 3 year warranty including burn-in protection when they know this will be used as a PC monitor tells you they're somewhat confident in their burn-in prevention.

I'm still a firm believer in IPS and those 38 inch curved LG 3840x1600 panels are very hard to beat for something that's good at both gaming and work.

I'm of the opinion that most 400-500$ VA ultrawides offer a good enough experience for the average gamer. And as soon as you start a movie the IPS just looks flat. Even low-contrast VA monitors have well over double the contrast of typical IPS monitors. For movies IPS is actually one of the worse choices you can make. Especially when they're paired with sub-par or no local dimming.

I've dealt with OLED and never EVER want to go back to that experience again. Even on a smartphone screen the burn-in is damaging let alone on a monitor you sit in front of every day with windows open for hours at a time.

That applies to LG's current WOLED displays. The points they brought up about QD-OLED's anti burn-in measures make sense to me. It's more efficient at letting through light, so they don't need as much power to bring out more brightness, which means the pixels will degrade slower. Add the fact that there is no color specific degradation and it makes perfect sense to me that they're more resistant to burn in.

There's just no way you're going to compensate for that with a screen saver or any kind of crazy pixel shift without interfering with either the user experience or image display quality.

There are ways to make pixel shifting displays not interfere with the experience. LG's current 32EP950 (32" 4K OLED monitor) has a bigger display panel than the acutal 4K resolution. This way the pixel shift feature can work without cutting out information. And the shifting itself is so gradual that an individual sitting in front of it will not notice it.

I can see setups where folks would have dual monitors with an OLED incorporated for doing color-accurate work, but that's hardly an elegant solution and doesn't really work well for movie watching either if it isn't the primary display, or for gaming likewise. Ergonomics also play a factor, and ideally you would want to stack two 32:9 displays and make it decidedly more usable. What you cannot do is have one of them an OLED and the other a LCD or IPS, either because the same brand doesn't make it or they are a different size altogether.

Why wouldn't you be able to do that? If these QD-OLED monitors are 34" ultrawides then there are plenty of other LCD options you could combine them with.

As for that QDOLED perceived reliability and longevity - find me an OLED display that's still rocking 5+ years old. My original LG 34UM95 that I bought in May of 2014 is still doing daily duty with the same image quality and performance as new. And that's not me being a LG fanboy or reviewer - that's true testimony from an actual owner who pushes his gear hard every day.

My C9 OLED still has no signs of burn in whatsoever, even after over 2 years of use with a mix of movie watching, use as a PC monitor, gaming, etc. I personally don't expect it to change significantly over the next 3 years.

If you know you're a power user then OLED might still be a harder thing to consider. But there are slight changes in user behavior that can really almost eliminate the risk of burn-in even with current WOLED displays. Auto-hide taskbar, reducing brightness and not leaving your display running when you're going away from your computer for a longer time for starters.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

James and staff,

Can you clarify on a portion about burn-in. Around the 7:55 mark, Linus speaks about Voltage when normally the Current is what affects LED output intensity. Are these displays different or is this just an oops?

18 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I don't think screen savers have served any real purpose past CRT monitors. Also, I don't want to look at a screen saver, when sitting in front of my computer. When I'm not sitting in front, the screen is off anyway.

The burn-in question is the most important. I'm experiencing burn-in currently on my ten year old LCD screen and I don't want to have to change my workflow, I just want a screen that is immune to burn-in.

If it is cheap enough that I can get a new one every year and still not waste over two thousand dollars on it after ten years, then that works, too, I guess. But it needs to be 40 inch or bigger.

Or maybe AR-glasses will make screens obsolete before this.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:34 PM, marcgii said:

Linus has argued his titles aren't really clickbait because they don't misrepresent the content.  Or at least it was something along those lines.

Maybe you should remember what he said before criticizing him for being contradictory?

As an individual who chooses to immerse himself in the news around display technologies I honestly dont see a problem with the way this vid was filmed. Sure its sponsored but it doesnt matter, everything in the vid is accurate.

QD-OLED has the 'potential' to be a good step up from LGs WRGB OLED, especially for PC use. The move from WRGB subpixels to RGB alone will help with text clarity.

The single color OLED layer should 'help' with burn-in as there wont be 4 different organic materials 'ageing' at different rates to content with.

The high peak brightness is ofc also welcomed, the full field brightness is still somewhat lacking but i suspect this is more to do with total power delivery and heat management over anything else. and tbh who wants there face melted by 600nit+ full field whites.

My concern is price, as a 'new' tech Samsung will ofc set a premium, one can only hope that 2nd gen QD-OLED having lost its initial 'new tech' label will immediately come down to regularly OLED prices.

For me personally, as much as i've been wanting to replace my plasma for years now, its no longer an issue of waiting for the right display to be available, its now waiting for the GPU ill need to upgrade to for HDMi 2.1 and 4k 120hz capability to return to normal pre 2018 pricing.

A word on 'burn-in':

i cant stress enough that OLED 'burn-in' is 1st a foremost the fault of the user. Its akin to a car owner bemoaning going through a set of tires every 6 months whilst driving to aggressively around corners every day.

The USERs use of the display will determine how it ages.

If ur foolish enough to do everything wrong in terms of OLED use, then yes ur going to damage the display and its going to be your fault.

Want to use it for office use and not do anything to reduce static UIs ...go ahead.. but be prepared to suffer 'burn-in'.

If however u take some simple steps to alter your habitual usage of the display, ull be fine.

Autohide taskbar, dont open windows maximized all the time, animate ur desktop background, hide or add transparency to ur desktop icons. Enable a black screensaver etc.

Even rtings burn-in test which has had over 14,000 hours of COD:WWII playing on a C9 has no noticeable burn in. And its Fifa test panel which is a high risk, high contrast game, took over 4500hours before noticeable burn-in started to appear.

Since no normal user is going to display the exact same imagery for that long over a short period of time, the chances of suffering major burn-in in under 4 years is only likely if the user is doing something wrong.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |