What's the deal with Bose

no becasue much better things are there in the price they offer there product in

Like?

Bose is yet another overrated brand pretending to be more high-end than they actually are. See every smartphone manufacturer. The problem isn't that Bose audio products are awful, it's that they're not great. They're merely okay, and when you're paying north of $100, you expect more than okay. They favor psychoacoustics over producing quality sound. For the average consumer, Bose headphones might be worth it - and in fact, their superior comfort makes them absolutely desirable. If another pair of headphones came along with the level of comfort I've found on the Bose AE2s, I would be all over it - so long as it didn't sound like it was being played through a tin can. Also, they're known for their noise-cancelling headphones, which are ludicrously overpriced. But then, noise-cancelling technology is overpriced to begin with; just get better noise-isolating headphones.

Imagine if Apple tried selling their EarPods that they bundled with their products for around $30. That's pretty much how I'd describe Bose. But obviously, Apple would never do such a thing.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Most audiophiles ditch Bose for other brands usually. Bose caters to the people who care less about the best sound quality but more about having an impressive sound system(confusing I know). For example my parents downstairs who know nothing about audio picked up a bose iphone speaker dock thingy and it is decent for what it does. But the sound quality is far from perfect and the thing cost more than I personally would have paid for it. But my parents are happy with it so their products are popular among the people who know little about audio.

Do you have any suggestions for any headphones

Do you have any suggestions for any headphones

I am no audiophile so I couldn't tell you. For gaming however the Senheiser HD558s, AD-700x, or the HD598s are generally regarded as the best. For music though I can't say.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I am no audiophile so I couldn't tell you. For gaming however the Senheiser HD558s, AD-700x, or the HD598s are generally regarded as the best. For music though I can't say.

Music is a personal thing, it comes down to what you listen to a lot. For example, Shure's SE535 sounded very, very flat for what I listened to but Ultimate Ears sounded 'better' to me. 

A lot of test driving is required. Reviews can only do so much for music listening purposes. 

Bose use to be really good, buy now a days they can be compared to being just like Beats by Dr. Dre. Bose has good clean and crisp sound but lacks alot in the bass department. Still good bass but not the hard hitting pounding sound you would expect from them, from the tub design they have in them.

i have some really good stereo bose speakers from way back in a day. They are awesome, and new bos espeakers are fine too but kind of to expensive

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I still find it funny that people love Beats headphones considering that they were started by Monster Inc. (Yes the company that makes monster cables). 

I still find it funny that people love Beats headphones considering that they were started by Monster Inc. (Yes the company that makes monster cables). 

Pretty sure Bose started their own headphones on their own...unless I've missed something. 

The bass on bose speakers always bothers me. I don't think there's any convincing me to try their speakers.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

It's not necessarily that they're bad, just for the money you can do better. 

it has it's place for the common crowd (i.e. not here) and those that might want something decent but don't know much it (people that walk into best buy) so they pay that premium for it. The concept that it's the best is because it's probably the most expensive on display at the typical generic electronics store, and since Bose has a far reach they probably see a lot of it as relative 'top shelf' but they're certainly far from even near 'best'.

The image is much more important than the product. They also have their own styling which, to each their own, but I guess some people attribute that to better. 

Error: 410

Pretty sure Bose started their own headphones on their own...unless I've missed something. 

Yea Bose does their own headphones, I just went off on a tangent because people were comparing Bose to Beats by Dre lol

Yea Bose does their own headphones, I just went off on a tangent because people were comparing Bose to Beats by Dre lol

Hah fair enough. 

Though here is where it gets more bizarre with Beats. 

Monster headphones on their own, well, they actually aren't bad. The Turbine Pros? I was pretty shocked. I was expecting bass heavy and muddy, far from it in fact. Beats however, there isn't much to redeem them.

Bose and their QC20s are a win in my book however. I've used them so much in the past few months. The battery design is whack, but god the noise cancellation literally lets me study in a noisy cafeteria and not even notice it. 

They have their ups and their downs, they are more expensive than what most of their products should be, but their gems are worth what you pay for them.

Bose use to be really good, buy now a days they can be compared to being just like Beats by Dr. Dre. Bose has good clean and crisp sound but lacks alot in the bass department. Still good bass but not the hard hitting pounding sound you would expect from them, from the tub design they have in them.

Remember, Bose objective was never towards bass, there idea is for clarity and equalization throughout their specific sound signature, in other words they're going for a more flat sound range so that every part of a song sticks out rather than one being more identifiable than the other. That is why they're really well sounding in terms of movies and video.

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

Like?

i am not a audiophile so i can't say much

and i need a product name i can't just compare a company :P

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Remember, Bose objective was never towards bass, there idea is for clarity and equalization throughout their specific sound signature, in other words they're going for a more flat sound range so that every part of a song sticks out rather than one being more identifiable than the other. That is why they're really well sounding in terms of movies and video.

Read post #25 in this thread :) Also, I have been around really high end audio equipment all 31 years of my life. My father is a big audio junkie and understands it more then i will ever know. And yes now a days Bose has concentrated more on movie listening then anything else, but it's still not up to par when you want your ass to rattle when an explosion happens or gunfire is going off. The Bose speakers back in the day were and still are better then the Bose products of today. Bass though is a preference, it depends on the type of person and what they like, like I said before, some people choose more clarity over bass, some choose bass over clarity, and some, myself included, like an array of well balanced between, ass rumbling bass and clarity that you can hear way over the bass at the same time.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Read post #25 in this thread :) Also, I have been around really high end audio equipment all 31 years of my life. My father is a big audio junkie and understands it more then i will ever know. And yes now a days Bose has concentrated more on movie listening then anything else, but it's still not up to par when you want your ass to rattle when an explosion happens or gunfire is going off. The Bose speakers back in the day were and still are better then the Bose products of today. Bass though is a preference, it depends on the type of person and what they like, like I said before, some people choose more clarity over bass, some choose bass over clarity, and some, myself included, like an array of well balanced between, ass rumbling bass and clarity that you can hear way over the bass at the same time.

That point I will give, although bose's objective is now towards the movie experience, that doesn't cover up the price tag for what you can get at a lower price range and a better overall experience.

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

Bass wise and only bass wise, the sub that comes with the Z623 hits a lot harder, and is more solid bass then the Bose sub, clarity wise though Bose does a great job of it and the mids and highs sound a lot clear then the Z623.

What bugs me about Logitech speakers is that there are no tweeters. How can you claim to output quality audio without even including high frequency tweeters in your satellites, they try to reproduce the upper range using mid-range woofers. None of the experienced speaker manufacturers do this to my knowledge. I think logitech just wants to produce a lot of bass and capture the gamer market.

We took a balanced approach. Aka abused my staff discount (Bose was 65% off) and combined it with a Velodyne 10" subwoofer and a now dead Pioneer receiver.

Best decision ever. For the 1k price, it's almost silly. It gets used maybe 5 times a year, but to me it's the greatest thing.

But I know there's better. But with what I paid vs. what it costs now combined with use, it's just hard to justify swapping anything out.

I haven't read the thread properly so I might be repeating someone or pissing someone else off but...

Bose are considered by most in the audio world to be overrated and over priced,  and for good reason.  However they do not completely sound like ass, they are heavily engineered to produce the best sound possible from the smallest physical footprint,  this is what most people pay for and are happy with the sound quality compromises.

Consider Bose to be more like apple than beats, because for those of us without a form over function mindset, they are not a good choice. 

However they do really well in the P.A realm,  I have heard some pretty awesome P.A drivers from them that aren't excessive in size, and for that I take my hat of to their engineers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What bugs me about Logitech speakers is that there are no tweeters. How can you claim to output quality audio without even including high frequency tweeters in your satellites, they try to reproduce the upper range using mid-range woofers. None of the experienced speaker manufacturers do this to my knowledge. I think logitech just wants to produce a lot of bass and capture the gamer market.

I could not agree with you more, I also wish tweeters were also in the satellites. I don't think the Z623 sound bad but they defiantly could have toned down the bass a little as if you try to crank the speakers, the sub overpowers the rest of the sound. I think to get a better all around sound in the price range the klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers are the better choice. They are more well balanced out and have tweeters in the satellites.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Sorry if it's confusing I was just asking why he was saying forget the Bose hate I didn't know there was any

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-kD3-wAEc

:rolleyes: OH YEAH WE'RE BOSE BIG SOUND SMALL SPEAKERS.  It's marketed to jet set baby boomers so they can re-live the "glory days" of WWII or Woodstock or w/e so it's not really appealing to our generation.  Basically if you don't feel important or drive a BMW, Bose is probably not marketing to you.  So a lot of kids still see them as the "holier than thou" sound company and hate them.  I can't blame them.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Bose? You mean Buy Other Sound Equipment?

cwutididthere

Like everyone else in the thread has said, Bose isn't that bad, the issue is the price-to-performance that they offer (low). There's better sounding speakers (like from Boston Acoustics) available for less money.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

unlike beats/monster who started off with snake oil magic cables and bloated rapper bling, bose started out with awesome equipment I think some of their original speakers from the 70's is still highly sought after. 

current bose... uhh /shrug I'd explore other brands first. 

Its kind of disturbing that forums dedicated to help each-other dont get much attention but as soon as their is something to rant about, everyone is there.