Fractal Torrent - Fan airflow configuration with beefy Liquid Freezer II 420 AIO

Nohant

Hey there,

First time builder here, I would appreciate if my fan configuration choices could be challenged.

The recent LTT video about "1 year fan configuration against dust build up results" made me wonder if I've made good decisions for optimal temperatures.

Build details:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor: Gigabyte M32Q 31.5" 2560x1440 170 Hz Monitor

My current configuration is "all fans in but the one at the back out"

• 2 - 140mm case fans at the bottom pulling air in
  • 2 - 180mm case fans at the front pulling air in
  • 1 - 140mm case fan at the back pushing air out
  • 3 - 140mm AIO fans pulling air in (through the radiator)

Picture with first timer cable management horror scene (but wait to find out how this AIO is held in place)

image.thumb.png.7ff293dbc8b6c344acb71efb55b6f9e0.png

Here is how my AIO is held (spoiler bc nsfw content, fasten your AIO seatbelt kids)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d2f95a152224c38410894d127f95b7d0.png

Stating the obvious

So, yeah this 420mm by 140mm Radiator is in front of 2 - 180 fans.

My picture does not probably does no help but with some maths:

those are larger than the radiator in width (40mm) and shorter in height (60mm) and there is a (10mm) gap between the radiator and front panel fans.

How does this set-up hold up ?

CPU

Load test: Cinebench R23 (10 minutes)

Package temperature: 69° (under load)

score 22661

Package temperature: 24° (idle)

GPU

Load test: Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
2560x1431 8xAA windowed
Preset
Custom
Quality
High
Tessellation:
Extreme

GPU Temp 76° (under load)

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

GPU temp 46° (idle fans are even off like in the picture)

General questions

Does those seems normal results to you ? (No OC planned but the cooler the longer this build will last)

Is my current fan configuration okay-ish while sticking to provided case fans ?

Should I try one of these following options ? (or another one)

Option 1 - "sandwiched AIO"

image.png.4fa47710fa5b9b8146f1f22fe46e4969.png

(image source Fractal Design Torrent manual page 8)

Reserve:

• Mind that this picture is showing a 360mm radiator with 3 - 140mm fans. I've currently managed to put the radiator in/out at the bottom, it will very likely not be possible with this config. If I understand correctly, if the pump is not above the radiator it's okay, but in this configuration some air could still be trapped in the top part of the radiator making some noise.
  • I don't know which magic they used to stick both the radiator to the front panel. I guess I would need special screws, like the ones used for my AIO fans, going through the fan holes to reach the radiator.
  • Sandwiching fans are a mix between AIO and case fans, AIO has its dedicated fan curve maybe I will have to match both fan curve since the radiator will be in and "air tight" sandwich

Option 2 - forget about the 3 extra 140mm fans

either put the 38mm depth radiator inside the 140mm fans panel (in front of the radiator at the right of the last picture),

or put the radiator fans inside the fan panel in push mode and leave the radiator as show in last picture

Reserve: I am not using all the provided fans

Sorry for the well of text, all feedback is welcomed ❤️ thanks in advance !

Edit: writing this and compiling all the information, made me already realize a potential mistake: I've plugged my AIO into the AIO Pump fan header of my motherboard running at max speed by default.

It seems appropriate to plug the AIO fan into the AIO fan header of your MoBo but there is a single AIO cable to manage both the pump and the radiator fans, I think Arctic (AIO builder) recommends using the CPU fan header.

It's weird because I don't find my PC to be loud.

Edited by Nohant
Add edit block with PS clarity - there is no 120mm fan - typos

So heavy overpressure.  I assume there is an air filter on the underside as well as the front.  Gonna have to keep them clean. There’s a weird air gap in the front but the cpu AIO is so overkill I doubt it will matter. As long as you keep your filters regularly cleaned you should be ok.  That case has so much open grillwork at the back that there’s an argument for overpressure over heavy underpressure. I don’t know what the cfm on those 180s is.  Gonna assume they’re more or less like 3 140s but with poorer static pressure. Kinda makes a case for that AIO config.  I might consider reversing the two bottom fans removing the dust filter, and running em slow.  Not enough to turn it from overpressure to underpressure, but real close.  Very near neutral but with the barest whisper of overpressure. Just enough to prevent dust ingress from the back. I don’t know what that would do to your video card temps though..  that would have to be watched.  It’s a balance of cost, noise, dust, temps, and power usage. One other weird one in your case is there’s so much overpressure with your PSU configuration you might be forcing air through your PSU and out and possibly making the PSU fan unnecessary in a lot of situations.  So perhaps a positive for PSU longevity and general noise level.  If this is a situation where you want to simply put it in a closet for a couple years and totally ignore it with no cleaning of filters heavy overpressure isn’t the way to do it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So heavy overpressure.  I assume there is an air filter on the underside as well as the front.  Gonna have to keep them clean. There’s a weird air gap in the front but the cpu AIO is so overkill I doubt it will matter. As long as you keep your filters regularly cleaned you should be ok.  That case has so much open grillwork at the back that there’s an argument for overpressure over heavy underpressure. I don’t know what the cfm on those 180s is.  Gonna assume they’re more or less like 3 140s but with poorer static pressure. Kinda makes a case for that AIO config.  I might consider reversing the two bottom fans removing the dust filter, and running em slow.  Not enough to turn it from overpressure to underpressure, but real close.  Very near neutral but with the barest whisper of overpressure. Just enough to prevent dust ingress from the back. I don’t know what that would do to your video card temps though..  that would have to be watched.  It’s a balance of cost, noise, dust, temps, and power usage. One other weird one in your case is there’s so much overpressure with your PSU configuration you might be forcing air through your PSU and out and possibly making the PSU fan unnecessary in a lot of situations.  So perhaps a positive for PSU longevity and general noise level.  If this is a situation where you want to simply put it in a closet for a couple years and totally ignore it with no cleaning of filters heavy overpressure isn’t the way to do it.

You've guessed it right, both front and bottom have an air filter, dully noted to keep them clean.

Your concern about the PSU having air forced out could be spot on too, I did a little "put your hand to check airflow near intake" and I don't feel a lot of air.

I take that 76° GPU temps under load is to be monitored, so I will test the "option 1 - AIO config" but with bottom 180 fans going out and remove the air filter.

Still a bit concerned having the radiator with in/out at the top and potential fan speed / cfm disparities between AIO fans and 140mm case fans that would be on front.

Should I try to match both of sets of  3 - 140mm fans against similar fan curves ? maybe on the same fan hub ?

Thanks a lot for your answer and insights !

Hi
I've actually just(hours ago) finished installing the Arctic 420 into my Torrent case... but, had to modify the bottom fan bracket, for it to happen.
The reason why, is that the threads on the radiator(resting on bottom fan bracket) are located too far up, for the fans to be mounted. I did the "Disc'o-grind dance" on the last middle section of the bottom fan bracket, so the radiator could rest some millimeters lower. It now fits perfectly, with the PWM wire feeding through the 3 top-most individual cut-outs on the front mounting brackets(Mobo-side... i could maybe be persuaded into taking a picture, if my writing makes no sense).

Like your current setup, I only have 2 140mm fans at the bottom, as the tubes/hoses from the AIO and the radiator is obstructing the last slot. 

From my perspective, the Torrent case is already intended to be an "over-pressure" design, and I therefore don't see the point in removing or flipping the bottom fans/mesh.
I reckon that the "venturi"-like design, VERY open back-face, rear "exhaust"-fan and PSU fan, should enable a good flow through the case. At least i hope, it'll perform better than the Phanteks P600, where the 2nd GPU (lower one) would get fairly hot, as it had very short stand-off distance from the "PSU/bottom"-cover. 

Will be running some tests when the system is up and running. Also still considering adding 3 extra noctua fans for a push-pull configuration on the radiator.

Anyways... good luck with your build.

BR. DD

4 hours ago, Nohant said:

You've guessed it right, both front and bottom have an air filter, dully noted to keep them clean.

Your concern about the PSU having air forced out could be spot on too, I did a little "put your hand to check airflow near intake" and I don't feel a lot of air.

I take that 76° GPU temps under load is to be monitored, so I will test the "option 1 - AIO config" but with bottom 180 fans going out and remove the air filter.

Still a bit concerned having the radiator with in/out at the top and potential fan speed / cfm disparities between AIO fans and 140mm case fans that would be on front.

Should I try to match both of sets of  3 - 140mm fans against similar fan curves ? maybe on the same fan hub ?

Thanks a lot for your answer and insights !

Fans at bottom are 180 not 140? Might be difficult to make them go slow enough.  I don’t know how much more cfm 180s do over 140s their static pressure will be even worse. I thought there was then only one set of 140s- in the AIO which don’t affect case air pressure much because of the space between the front 180s and the AIO.  There is I think a 140 at the back (unless it’s a 120) which would sort of be a second set, and no fans at the top at all except the PSU which won’t be running all the time (unless it does.  Would depend on the PSU and how it is set up) 180s at the front and at the bottom running at the same speed along with the back fan would be net negative.  Might produce better cooling, but the case would be drawing air in from all sides some of which are not filtered.  It’s lower air speed though.  Might make a negligible amount of dust. For neutral whisper positive one has to have the two fronts be a bit more than the back and the bottom together.  Might not be doable. I don’t know what you mean by in/out on top. There are two (one? One and a half?) fans out at the rear, the back fan and the PSU fan, but the one top space left at the front top appears to be open.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, DD08 said:

Hi
I've actually just(hours ago) finished installing the Arctic 420 into my Torrent case... but, had to modify the bottom fan bracket, for it to happen.
The reason why, is that the threads on the radiator(resting on bottom fan bracket) are located too far up, for the fans to be mounted. I did the "Disc'o-grind dance" on the last middle section of the bottom fan bracket, so the radiator could rest some millimeters lower. It now fits perfectly, with the PWM wire feeding through the 3 top-most individual cut-outs on the front mounting brackets(Mobo-side... i could maybe be persuaded into taking a picture, if my writing makes no sense).

Like your current setup, I only have 2 140mm fans at the bottom, as the tubes/hoses from the AIO and the radiator is obstructing the last slot. 

From my perspective, the Torrent case is already intended to be an "over-pressure" design, and I therefore don't see the point in removing or flipping the bottom fans/mesh.
I reckon that the "venturi"-like design, VERY open back-face, rear "exhaust"-fan and PSU fan, should enable a good flow through the case. At least i hope, it'll perform better than the Phanteks P600, where the 2nd GPU (lower one) would get fairly hot, as it had very short stand-off distance from the "PSU/bottom"-cover. 

Will be running some tests when the system is up and running. Also still considering adding 3 extra noctua fans for a push-pull configuration on the radiator.

Anyways... good luck with your build.

BR. DD

Funny coincidence ! Thanks 1st hand feedback is welcome, was doing "maths" to check if the provided case picture with push/pull AIO config was doable with tubes at the bottom, but I will need to go for the hands-on approach.

Indeed, having the bottom fans pulling air in I was inclined to believe my GPU would still have proper air at least against its bottom side, will test both ! Once the AIO fits reverting 2 fans would be a piece of cake.

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Fans at bottom are 180 not 140? Might be difficult to make them go slow enough.  I don’t know how much more cfm 180s do over 140s their static pressure will be even worse. I thought there was then only one set of 140s- in the AIO which don’t affect case air pressure much because of the space between the front 180s and the AIO.  There is I think a 140 at the back (unless it’s a 120) which would sort of be a second set, and no fans at the top at all except the PSU which won’t be running all the time (unless it does.  Would depend on the PSU and how it is set up) 180s at the front and at the bottom running at the same speed along with the back fan would be net negative.  Might produce better cooling, but the case would be drawing air in from all sides some of which are not filtered.  It’s lower air speed though.  Might make a negligible amount of dust. For neutral whisper positive one has to have the two fronts be a bit more than the back and the bottom together.  Might not be doable. I don’t know what you mean by in/out on top. There are two (one? One and a half?) fans out at the rear, the back fan and the PSU fan, but the one top space left at the front top appears to be open.

Provided case fans are 2 * 180mm and 3 * 140mm, so if I go with the case picture doing an AIO push/pull all 140mm fans would be in the front panel, leaving 180mm for the bottom... But yeah I could fetch additional 140mm fans especially if 2 * 180mm leaves too little space to have the AIO tubing at the bottom (instead of the top like in the picture), I would already need a 140mm at the back of the case to match the picture configuration since there are 4 of them (3 at the front hidden in the front panel)

"in/out on top" was poor phrasing to describe "having the AIO radiator tubes at the top" (like in the picture) which I understood could leave some air trapped in the top on the radiator making some noise. Then, maybe it's useless worries on my side, feel free to point that out.

Edit: as for 120mm fans mentions, it was a mistake on my side, there is not 120mm fans only 140 and 180, it has been corrected

Again thanks for you insights !

Edited by Nohant
120mm mention mistake

40 minutes ago, Nohant said:

Funny coincidence ! Thanks 1st hand feedback is welcome, was doing "maths" to check if the provided case picture with push/pull AIO config was doable with tubes at the bottom, but I will need to go for the hands-on approach.

Indeed, having the bottom fans pulling air in I was inclined to believe my GPU would still have proper air at least against its bottom side, will test both ! Once the AIO fits reverting 2 fans would be a piece of cake.

Provided case fans are 2 * 180mm and 3 * 140mm, so if I go with the case picture doing an AIO push/pull all 140mm fans would be in the front panel, leaving 180mm for the bottom... But yeah I could fetch additional 140mm fans especially if 2 * 180mm leaves too little space to have the AIO tubing at the bottom (instead of the top like in the picture), I would already need a 140mm at the back of the case to match the picture configuration since there are 4 of them (3 at the front hidden in the front panel)

"in/out on top" was poor phrasing to describe "having the AIO radiator tubes at the top" (like in the picture) which I understood could leave some air trapped in the top on the radiator making some noise. Then, maybe it's useless worries on my side, feel free to point that out.

Edit: as for 120mm fans mentions, it was a mistake on my side, there is not 120mm fans only 140 and 180, it has been corrected

Again thanks for you insights !

Ah.  AIO isn’t push pull with that air gap.  It makes it completely internal to the case.  If that gap wasn’t there though and the AIO radiator actually touched the other fans it could be push/pull though.  I doubt push pull will actually do a ton as the rear fans should be sufficient to ventilate the radiator.  My understanding is radiator tubes are just generally a bit better at the bottom because it makes a poorly placed air gap more difficult.  If you have them at the top though and there isn’t a bubble to complicate matters I understand it makes more or less no difference. 

180mm on the bottom and the aio in front...?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Looks like its working great. FE cards run a bit hotter but it also exhausts some of the heat so its a nice compromise.

5 hours ago, Nohant said:

Yeah.. the "option 1" 120mm push/pull illustration could be a bit misleading. 140mm push/pull IS doable, IF you cut out the piece I mentioned... even with the somewhat beefy radiator on the Arctic 420 AIO.
I moved the forward most 140mm fan and placed it on the back-face slot. Currently running the stock Arctic fans at the front, but really am a Noctua fanboy, so might switch the 3/6/9 fans out, down the road. They have performed very well for years... but they are kinda pricy... Oh snap, I forgot I've already 7 sitting in the old P600s... løls... I guess I know where they'll be going soon.

The 180mm fans are shelf-surfers, for now... I think they are rated 50-150CFM whereas the 140mm are rated 30-110CFM, so the total volume is more or less the same, with a theoretically increased static pressure.

Do keep in mind, that there is a very specific order to mounting the brackets and fans. Bottom fan bracket will be "locked" by the front 120/140mm mounting bracket, so don't start mounting the radiator and fans on the front, before the bottom fans are placed where you want them to be.

Yo' can do' it! 

Cheers... DD 

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2022 at 4:05 PM, DD08 said:

Yeah.. the "option 1" 120mm push/pull illustration could be a bit misleading. 140mm push/pull IS doable, IF you cut out the piece I mentioned... even with the somewhat beefy radiator on the Arctic 420 AIO.
I moved the forward most 140mm fan and placed it on the back-face slot. Currently running the stock Arctic fans at the front, but really am a Noctua fanboy, so might switch the 3/6/9 fans out, down the road. They have performed very well for years... but they are kinda pricy... Oh snap, I forgot I've already 7 sitting in the old P600s... løls... I guess I know where they'll be going soon.

The 180mm fans are shelf-surfers, for now... I think they are rated 50-150CFM whereas the 140mm are rated 30-110CFM, so the total volume is more or less the same, with a theoretically increased static pressure.

Do keep in mind, that there is a very specific order to mounting the brackets and fans. Bottom fan bracket will be "locked" by the front 120/140mm mounting bracket, so don't start mounting the radiator and fans on the front, before the bottom fans are placed where you want them to be.

Yo' can do' it! 

Cheers... DD 

Not sure what you meant which piece to cut out. Any chance I could see pic of your build?

Thank you!

Hi... 
Sorry about the delay. I've taken a few pictures, and still consider making a short death-by-powerpoint-presentation-video of the build.
Bottom bracket "mod" pictures attached.

Hope it helps.

BR. DD

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg