How to run higher than the maximum resolutions on your display

tabuburn

So for this to work you need a Scalier in your monitor...Mine doesn't have one...But I will try on my other side monitors. 

You can make the gpu do the scalling instead of the monitor, that is if you use nvidia.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Can someone explain this to me please? There seems to be an inherit "limitation" by the monitor itself and not the bandwidth and if downsampling does what it says, the gpu is redering the game at a higher resolution and then shrinking the image to the monitor's native resolution. This should mean that every monitor can reach any resolution since the monitor does not have to do anything here. My question is basically is what is causing the limitation for not reaching higher resolutions.

I have a Dell U2312 HM IPS Panel with a 780 and it can handle 2600 by 1600 with no problems, at 4k it sometimes will cause the game to crash although it is rare. I leave everything on my desktop at 1080p and just change it to 1440p once in game. It is a neat trick that i will only use for older games like Deus ex, any Resident evil, and all assassins creeds worked at 4k for me even maxed out excluding black flag where i play at 1600p. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

Hello, i'm new and wanted to share some Pictures too :) (If something is wrong i'm sorry) :P

GTA IV ENB+Downsampling to 2560x1440p

You didn't really think you can come here, post those screenshots and run away without telling us what mods you're running, right?

Please, I need to know what you did D: Those models are sick as f

Yep. I stay at 1080p when on the desktop and only switched it to the downsampled resolution when I want to game.

once i had 3 1080p monitors and i was runnung 5760x1080 one game (ASSETO CORSA)

when i turned off 2 displays and 1 stayed. it was working well then i started that game and it was at that crazy resolution. 5760x1080.

i could barely see car it was very narrow. 1080 pixels were displaying 5760 pixels. so is this same? my monitor can work on 5760x1080? so does this mean that it can work at 2560x1440? i do not have money for new monitor pls help me. is this that dangerous? 

how to compare risks. CPU overclock you can damage cpu. how compare this risks? 

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Is the resolution automatically downsampled if I run 2560x1440 on Battlefield 4 for example on my 1080p display?

I have never tried something like this before, and I dont have that much experience with stuff similar to this. So please keep that in mind, when I ask questions that are prob. Stupid :)

I have a Samsung 2693HM. Its native resolution is 1920 x 1200. I then made it go to 2560 x 1440 like it explained in the topic. But when I try to use that resolution in a game, there appear to be black bars at the top and bottom. Why is that?

Most likely because your video card isn't scaling correctly or the scaling options are set incorrectly. Check your GPU's options for scaling and make sure it's set to 'Aspect Ratio' or automatic. Also make sure that you have 'Override the scaling mode set by games and programs' is turned on if you use NVIDIA. 

Text just looks so small on my 24 inch 1080p ): Great guide though. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me how to get civ 5 to work? I ran it at 1440p and it just looked smaller with a large black border all around the whole game. Any solutions? I tried the BF4 test range and the SC Hangar Module and they both ran fine at 1440p. I have a 780 oc'ed to 780ti perf.

Has anybody done this and take macro shots of monitor with camera... not "screenshots" because that's pointless.

Why are screenshots pointless? that makes no sense.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

I'm dying to know if there's any competitive advantage to this. Anyone know, or is it just fancier?

competitive? no

if you're playing competitively then I imagine you wouldn't give two shits if there were jaggies in the game or not. This is purely to improve the image quality of the game.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

ive got a samsung s22c300 led up to 260x1440 at it starts to blur? is it supposed to happen? 

using a gtx 660

yep..

this is mainly for games. however its worth noting, if your not pushing the res much higher the difference is minimal..

the best option is to force a res that is a direct multiple of the monitors native res (1080 -> 4k) and this should help regular desktop viewing.

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

it works great, nut not all games have the custom resolution to select.
but on games that is posible very impress with the quality.

all games run smoot @2560X1440 on a GTX 760

I have never tried something like this before, and I dont have that much experience with stuff similar to this. So please keep that in mind, when I ask questions that are prob. Stupid :)

I have a Samsung 2693HM. Its native resolution is 1920 x 1200. I then made it go to 2560 x 1440 like it explained in the topic. But when I try to use that resolution in a game, there appear to be black bars at the top and bottom. Why is that?

@Bugses

A 1920x1200 monitor is a 16:10 aspect ratio, not 16x9. Set the custom resolution to 2560x1600 to get rid of the black bars. If you ever watch 1080p video on your monitor, you'll have the same black bars. My Samsung 245BW works great at 2560x1600 downsampled to the native 1920x1200. No performance hit in older games, which I think this is ideal for. I'm running a GTX570.

This is actually good, Thanks for posting this. B)

:ph34r: night shadow

Details separate people.

did not work for me :( i get a black screen (i tried cru too )i use 7850 any ideas? (even 2560*1440 wont work)

^This

I applied this and it works great, and While it does not work out of the box on newer drivers, You can install 12.11 catalyst, set this up, remove them, install 13.5 and it still has the 2650x1440 option there above my native 1080p.

You cannot change it back however until you go back to 12.11 again. Application Does not work after 12.11, yet the data saved is still there for the driver change.

While people do not like the desktop (1080p) displaying 1440p as it looks shit, then put your Desktop back to 1080p, and just have your games @ 1440p

Tested Hawken, Tombraider, Sleeping Dogs, Trackmania United & War Thunder, they all work at 2560x1440p

The performance hit is there, so right now I'm selective with what I want to look better @ 1440p or keep it set to native 1080p, whether I have the performance headroom to enable a higher resolution or if the game in question has NO AA filters and I'd like to have the downsampling working in my favour there as well.

But it works, with new drivers, is noticeable in quality difference, but also noticeable in performance drops.

Tombraider Bench -

1080p AVG 46fps

1440p AVG 34fps

All still displayed on the 1080p native 27" I use, 1440p looks better, but harder to capture or show it in screenies, best in motion.

I only did this for shits n giggles, I love tweaking and learning, whether I use it or not is up to me, but its available now as it was not before so thats a plus, Might warrant getting another 7950 too :)

Instead of grabbing a new 1440p screen for better visuals, I'd now go the 144htz 1080p route and apply this 1440p on top.

1440p @ 144htz mmmmmmmm!!!

Could you tell me how to keep the desktop at 1080p and games at 1440? Would like to know, thanks :)

NZXT H440+ 2015 Edition (Black/White) || i7 6700k @ 4Ghz || NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler || EVGA GTX 980ti SC || 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz DDR4 || MSI Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard || EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Modular || Corsair M65 RGB Mouse || Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset (White) || Steelseries Apex Raw Keyboard ||  Acer XB240H 1080p 144hz 24'' GSYNC Display || Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Could you tell me how to keep the desktop at 1080p and games at 1440? Would like to know, thanks :)

Using the above/original posted tools required to enable higher resolutions is needed.

The "in game" resolution selection,...a resolution list/option is where you set 1440p, and then leave your desktop on 1080p (if you have a 1080p LCD you won't need to change this)

When your game opens, it runs in 1440p, when it closes it goes back to your 1080p desktop.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Using the above/original posted tools required to enable higher resolutions is needed.

The "in game" resolution selection,...a resolution list/option is where you set 1440p, and then leave your desktop on 1080p (if you have a 1080p LCD you won't need to change this)

When your game opens, it runs in 1440p, when it closes it goes back to your 1080p desktop.

Ahh i see. So you're saying leave windows on 1080p for my desktop, and then change the resolution ingame to 1440p? :) in the video settings? and this will still work with the desktop on 1080p?

NZXT H440+ 2015 Edition (Black/White) || i7 6700k @ 4Ghz || NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooler || EVGA GTX 980ti SC || 16GB Kingston HyperX 2666MHz DDR4 || MSI Krait Gaming Z170A Motherboard || EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Modular || Corsair M65 RGB Mouse || Kingston HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset (White) || Steelseries Apex Raw Keyboard ||  Acer XB240H 1080p 144hz 24'' GSYNC Display || Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Ahh i see. So you're saying leave windows on 1080p for my desktop, and then change the resolution ingame to 1440p? :) in the video settings? and this will still work with the desktop on 1080p?

it will be fine, changing the setting in game only makes the GPU render the game at that resolution and then scale it down to your 1080p display.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I tried this on a GTX 780 with a HP LP2475W using displayport and the highest resolution I got on it was 2880x1800. I played Crysis 3 and the visuals looked a bit better but the hud looked a bit blurry.

Anyone know how to do this with R9 290x and latest 14-4 AMD drivers?

FX-8350          ASUS Crosshair V         MSi R9 290X Gaming 4G

GTX 660 + Samsung SyncMaster 733nw (i know a dinosaur  :P) 1440x900 "Native", max was 1920x1200 60hz !!

Interesting how there's 13 pages and not one mention of 1280x1024; a 5:4 resolution.

I failed getting this to work at first, as I couldn't find properly-scaled resolutions for 5:4.  Of the three I could find, 1800x1440, 2560x2048, and 5120x4096, I happily settled on 1800x1440, as I could not have gotten the latter resolutions to work.

I am using a GTX 650 Ti, running Windows 8.0.

Let's just say... It was interesting.  Then I started up TF2, which was in borderless windowed mode:

9KAgExP.jpg

I found that hilarious.

I have only tested this in TF2, as my CPU is having overheating problems.  Once I get an aftermarket cooler, I'll be able to test more games without it overheating.

EDIT:  After a confusing day of trying to upgrade my cooler, succeeding, and messing around with this, I found that OGSSAA is very useful for improving a game's visual quality; I went and revisited an old favorite of mine, Borderlands 1.  Not only did I revisit a classic, but also got a great visual experience with this after downsampling and using an SMAA injector.  I'll post only one so I don't flood the page, and I'll just link the rest for those interested:

bmvkyIl.jpgshttp://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264785949

And some from NFS:  World

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=263100624

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=263100545

[witty signature]