How to run higher than the maximum resolutions on your display

tabuburn

Are we getting the full resolution when it still says active pixels are native res?

I think it's a measure of how many pixels are being used.

[witty signature]

• 2 weeks later...

Just last week I had to do this with a GTX 660 and my 1080p monitor with a broken HDMI in, that doesn't show up as 1920x1080, or even 16:9 for that matter. Got it running 1080p again through HDMI.

980 on the other hand... Nvidia control panel lets me set DSR settings for my desktop even. 1.2x through 4x the native resolution, which in my case is 1920x1080. So it allows me tu run my desktop and games at 4k. Already tried Skyrim on 4k and it looks gorgeous, no other AA required.

Nice to see this posted here, though.

EDIT: DSR isn't very enjoyable on the desktop, as the cursor dissappears when you move it near the edges of the screen. :/ Quick research showed other people have had this experience in games that have a free cursor as well. It's not noticeable in Skyrim, at least, because the menus are far from the edges. Have to test this on Civ V...

I have a strange problem with my monitor. A friend here said maybe beacause the monitor is isn't a ture 1080p.

Long story short I got a new system. Used my old Samsung HD tv 23" and it can only go 1050. If I go 1080, text are hard to read colors are off and the textures in desktop and games are blurry. Is there something I've been doing wrong?

Using GTX 980 Stryx And the TV is 3-4 years old and connected using HDMI.

I have a strange problem with my monitor. A friend here said maybe beacause the monitor is isn't a ture 1080p.

Long story short I got a new system. Used my old Samsung HD tv 23" and it can only go 1050. If I go 1080, text are hard to read colors are off and the textures in desktop and games are blurry. Is there something I've been doing wrong?

We have 1050p monitors at our school for programming stuff. They do exist. :P Since you have a 980 I'll have a wild guess and say you probably afford a 1440p monitor, so get it.

HDMI is most likely the issue here, try VGA or DVI if you can.

[witty signature]

The Text issue is normal. It's a scaling issue, your trying to fit more pixels within the native space.

I have it too, when using 1440p/3200x1800 & 4K, they all do the same thing with text,.. you NEVER use downscaled resolution for the desktop, just your games.

Set your desktop to it's normal native res, and ony use the high-res for gaming.

Some games with a lot of text you have to read (MMOs) will not be that great, but a game that you don't need to read a lot (FPS/Racing) it's a nice bump up in image quality.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

HDMI is most likely the issue here, try VGA or DVI if you can.

If i get a Display Port Cable, is there an adapter to link it to VGA? So my GPU will use a Display Port then use the adapter to be able to use it on the TV? Is the image quality still good or it will be tunred into VGA quality? I was hoping this TV has DVI at least, since it has a PC/DVI Audio-In socket.

Not very familiar with how Monitor/TV's work so sorries..ヾ(・ε・`)

If i get a Display Port Cable, is there an adapter to link it to VGA? So my GPU will use a Display Port then use the adapter to be able to use it on the TV? Is the image quality still good or it will be tunred into VGA quality? I was hoping this TV has DVI at least, since it has a PC/DVI Audio-In socket.

Not very familiar with how Monitor/TV's work so sorries..ヾ(・ε・`)

DisplayPort to VGA is not practical, since that'd need an active adapter. I was anticipating the TV would have DVI in.

Your options from what I can tell is DisplayPort to DVI, or DVI to VGA. There is no downgrade in quality from one medium, it's only a matter of bandwidth for the most part. Someone is probably going to tell me how crappy VGA is, but if it's the only way, then it's more than enough.

[witty signature]

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on getting a new pc + monitor within 2 or 3 months. I think I'll go for a 1080p monitor and then run games at 4k. But I need to know some monitors that can do this.

Also, if you were to record gameplay with a 'higher than native resolution', would the footage actually be that higher resolution?

I'm planning on getting a new pc + monitor within 2 or 3 months. I think I'll go for a 1080p monitor and then run games at 4k. But I need to know some monitors that can do this.

Also, if you were to record gameplay with a 'higher than native resolution', would the footage actually be that higher resolution?

Almost any monitor in decent condition can do it; I even ran twice the dimensions on a 1280*1024 monitor from 2007.

Recording non-native will yield non-native resolution, you'd probably have to configure your software to do it, nothing too hard. The problem would be having the power to record it while playing the game, then turning around and editing it at that resolution.

[witty signature]

Almost any monitor in decent condition can do it; I even ran twice the dimensions on a 1280*1024 monitor from 2007.

Recording non-native will yield non-native resolution, you'd probably have to configure your software to do it, nothing too hard. The problem would be having the power to record it while playing the game, then turning around and editing it at that resolution.

So basically, any modern 1080p monitor can run at 4k?

The last question was just hypothetical, I don't expect to be able to record at 4k, but maybe 1440p will work.

Two more questions:

Will this trick continue to work in windows 10?

Does this trick also work for TVs?

So basically, any modern 1080p monitor can run at 4k?

The last question was just hypothetical, I don't expect to be able to record at 4k, but maybe 1440p will work.

Two more questions:

Will this trick continue to work in windows 10?

Does this trick also work for TVs?

I can't say for every monitor or TV, I'd call it a safe bet and see I'd you can find people with specific monitors reporting downsampling results. I think there's even a database somewhere.

Windows 10 has nothing to do with it, it's the graphics drivers. So yes.

[witty signature]

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm using Nvidia GF 9800GT and 1080p TV 32". I just want 1440p down_sampled. I got it working, but non of my games have option to go over 1080p. what could I not do right ?

EDIT: every game on 32" with 1080p looks like minecraft blocks

• 1 month later...

i went from 1920x1200 to 3040x1900 fine but everything went really small, ran battlefield 4 and this resolution with a steady 35 FPS with a little screen tear i think i might keep this resolution but more for the increased work area ie photoshop and aftereffects.

display specs

HP LP2465 (24")

HP LP2065 (20")x2

computer specs

windows 7

motherboard asus crosshair iv formula

processor AMD phenom II x6 4.3ghz

corsair ram ddr3 16GB 1600hz

corsair 1000w power supply

nvidia GTX 760 2GB 

Hi I'm using Nvidia GF 9800GT and 1080p TV 32". I just want 1440p down_sampled. I got it working, but non of my games have option to go over 1080p. what could I not do right ?

EDIT: every game on 32" with 1080p looks like minecraft blocks

Can you at least get your downsampling on your desktop?  If so, just set it there, then launch your games.

i went from 1920x1200 to 3040x1900 fine but everything went really small,

That's because you're increasing the theoretical ppi (Pixes per inch) while keeping the screen size constant.  I'd advise just staying at your native resolution until you want the higher res, then switch back when you're done.

[witty signature]

• 2 months later...

Question:

I just started looking into this recently. I'm running Win 8.1 (upgrading to 10 this weekend) and I have a Sapphire R9 280 OC Edition gc driving a 23" Asus 1080p monitor and a 32" LG 1080p TV. About a month ago I had a BSOD, and when my system restarted I had a popup window from AMD saying that one of my displays could be run at a higher resolution (I can't remember the exact wording). I clicked ok and went through a couple setup steps and now the LG TV is definitely running at a higher resolution (I think it's "running" @ 1440p). Is my system automatically downsampling for the larger display, even though I can't find the setting in CCC?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

• 1 month later...

Here are my findings on the topic. First of all, the system:

-AMD fx-6300 3.5 ghz

-Reference Gtx-970

-8 gb 1866 mhz corsair ram

The monitor I used was a DellP2210, a general-purpose 1680x1050p workstation monitor, fairly mediocre as screens go. For my test, I ran the Tomb Raider Benchmark at the "Ultimate" default setting, which is full on almost everything, 16x anistropic and FXAA.

1680x1050p test: I got max framerate of 62.5, min of  58.9, average 60.1

Screenshots: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7o27-EBHkmEQzZFenJ3UDFFS3M&usp=sharing

2560x1440p test: I got max framerate of 61.8, min of 30.0, average 50.3

Screenshots: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7o27-EBHkmEVklqWENuVm9VWmc&usp=sharing

3840x2160p test: I got max framerate of 30.2, min of  19.4, average 53.2

Screenshots: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7o27-EBHkmELXFZRWRhcDFSNUk&usp=sharing

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

Not sure why everyone's having bad results with the desktop... For about a month I've been using 1920x1080 resolution on my 1366x768 laptop screen, hell I don't even do any gaming on this machine. The results are GREAT for me, things only get blurry if I start going beyond 1080p; I haven't tried pushing it anywhere near 2160p, even 2560x1440 is blurry enough to not be acceptable for desktop. But going from 1366x768 to 1080p is a godsend, I'm ecstatic

• 2 weeks later...

admin edit: added video inspired by this thread.

WARNING: I haven't seen anyone encountering this but just like overclocking, there is an inherent risk of damaging your display and it may not be covered by its warranty. It may not even be able to achieve the same settings other people are able to get.

Note: I did not make this guide but have used it on all of my monitors without any problems. Credits are due to the ones that originally posted these on another forum. 

What this guide is all about is how to get higher resolutions than what your display is capable of. It is called Downsampling. What it basically does is to have your GPU artificially push a resolution that's over what your display is able to do. The impact it will have on your GPU is equivalent to what it would do on a display that can actually output that resolution natively.

For example:

Your display is natively able to support a resolution up to 1920x1080. Using Downsampling it will send out a signal to tell your display to output a resolution of 2560x1440. Now on a display that can output a maximum resolution of 1080p has about 2 million pixels while a 1440p display outputs 3.7 million. Downsampling does not increase the amount of pixels being displayed. Itcan't go beyond that. What it does is bring that 1440p resolution to your 1080p display and compresses it to fit inside the screen. The effect it has is similar to zooming out on a lower resolution picture.

Below, you can see the difference in image quality on both images taken on the same display. Both images are using the same settings but with different resolutions.

Downsampling guide for NVIDIA cards: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

Downsampling guide for AMD cards: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244

Isn't this just the same as Nvidia's DSR?

Isn't this just the same as Nvidia's DSR?

Yes. OGSSAA came before DSR, in which NVidia decided to take it and streamline it by releasing DSR.

[witty signature]

Nice guide! I actually once downsampled a 1024x768 to a 1024x600 display by some registry hacks... Sweet memories...

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

nice

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

• 2 months later...

hello

I didn't found a Display option in Nvidia control panel, Because I have 2 Graphics Card, Nvidia and Intel

how to increase my monitor Resolution in this case ?

I need your help Please 

Is this the same as DSR? and does it tax your GPU the same as DSR?