How to run higher than the maximum resolutions on your display

tabuburn

im using a guide here on LTT of downsampling and im running 2560x1440 and 3200x1800(Max) on 1080p screen on most of non uber intensive games likeF1 2013 and Diablo3 and they look bloody awesome,now i get why 4K native screens will be killer for gaming hopefully gpu's catch up my 670 is already *coughin* trying to run even BF4 1080p lel

• 4 weeks later...

Man I got a seriusly problem, my native resolution is 1600x900 so i force resolution to 1680x1050, everything goes fine, i can do everything in my computer but my monitor launch a boring little black window that stay running in my screen with the message "Input Not Support" and i try everything to remove it... but it only desapear when i change for a native resolution.
I know it´s a warn that u are forcing... but in a 15 inch samsung monitor i force to full hd i got the message but it desapear in seconds... in this AOC monitor 19.5 inch this boring thing stay running in my screeen...
Anyone knows how can i solve it ?

Sorry about the bad english...
And very nice tutorial.

Windows is really blurry for me on 1440p, but for the 10 seconds that 4K was working, it looks amazingly clear!

Why does 4K keep crashing?

I click it, it runs in 4K, but when i move the mouse or click something it blackscreens, but a tiny section at the top is visible. Is it my Panel failing to keep up to my demands?

And why does windows look like a big blob of blur

UPDATE: Im running 1440P default on my 1080p monitor (because why not?) and 4K in games!!!

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I'm running 2560x1600 on a 1680x1050 monitor. xD It's the SyncMaster 215TW by Samgsung (got it 2 years ago)

Wondering if anyone has any advise. I got CRU to work fine, and can see the resolution in games and on selecting screen resolution, but when I select the resolution it says it is unsupported. Do I need to do registry editing for my monitor or what?

I am trying to run 2560x1440 on my 1366x768 monitor with 270x crossfire. (Does the same if I select 1080)

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Wondering if anyone has any advise. I got CRU to work fine, and can see the resolution in games and on selecting screen resolution, but when I select the resolution it says it is unsupported. Do I need to do registry editing for my monitor or what?

I am trying to run 2560x1440 on my 1366x768 monitor with 270x crossfire. (Does the same if I select 1080)

I just came to ask the same question. I think that gpu OUTPUTS high resolution so your SCREEN should downsample. So our screens dont support downsampling. if i understand this correctly in order for it to work gpu should RENDER 1440p resolution then DOWNSPAMPLE it to 1080p and only after OUTPUT 1080p (note: these resolutions was chosen for my setup i have 1080p screen and i want to render games at 1440p). I am sure that this is exactly how it works on new nvidia 970 and 980 cards. Please correct me if i am wrong, i am new to this.

P.S. I have r9 290 from asus

P.S.S. Sorry for my english, its not my native.

edit: just realized that even youtube can downsample unlike my gpu (if i choose 1440p or higher in youtube video)

Sweet post man. Moved my 1600*900 monitor to 1920*1080. Noticeable improvement, and if it dies oh well just gives me an excuse to upgrade. Thanks.

edit: LMFAO clicked post and it blue screened

Sweet post man. Moved my 1600*900 monitor to 1920*1080. Noticeable improvement, and if it dies oh well just gives me an excuse to upgrade. Thanks.

edit: LMFAO clicked post and it blue screened

That won't be related to downscaling

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

That won't be related to downscaling

Could have been my graphics card right? I moved down to 59HZ and its running fine now since it happened.

Could have been my graphics card right? I moved down to 59HZ and its running fine now since it happened.

I've never had or heard of a downsampling related BSOD.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Dell "High end" monitors seem to suck ass. I have a couple U3011 and you cannot do much with them on an AMD R9 290. When I had my Titan The CRU utility worked quite well but I was only trying to OC the refresh rate - not downsample.

On AMD I cannot even get the custom resolution to show up in the CCC

Dell "High end" monitors seem to suck ass. I have a couple U3011 and you cannot do much with them on an AMD R9 290. When I had my Titan The CRU utility worked quite well but I was only trying to OC the refresh rate - not downsample.

On AMD I cannot even get the custom resolution to show up in the CCC

Downsampling on AMD sucks, I shall shed a tear for you my friend. Know that you have my sympathies.

Works great, and Resolutions I made are being shown in the CCC & the WIndows Resolution Control Panel.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I keep getting this? 

b45e3d5c8e3e49ae8f3e48e92fe6d76c.png

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

• 2 weeks later...

I just came to ask the same question. I think that gpu OUTPUTS high resolution so your SCREEN should downsample. So our screens dont support downsampling. if i understand this correctly in order for it to work gpu should RENDER 1440p resolution then DOWNSPAMPLE it to 1080p and only after OUTPUT 1080p (note: these resolutions was chosen for my setup i have 1080p screen and i want to render games at 1440p). I am sure that this is exactly how it works on new nvidia 970 and 980 cards. Please correct me if i am wrong, i am new to this.

P.S. I have r9 290 from asus

P.S.S. Sorry for my english, its not my native.

edit: just realized that even youtube can downsample unlike my gpu (if i choose 1440p or higher in youtube video)

The current nvidia's method, uses the hardware scaler on card (theoretically, any monitor should work, but it doesn't).  Nvidia's new "DSR" (dynamic super resolution) is supposed to do what your are referring to, but done on through software filters so it's more flexible and can generally result in better quality scaling but some performance hit (Although relatively little).  Most importanly, it's an officially supported feature, so hoping this will allow any monitor to work... especially those with no scalers (like my korean 1440p monitor) or maybe keep my 120hz@1080 while downsampling.  Reason to get a 980 even if you have a 720P monitor! lol

Somewhere (13 - 20 min) in the live stream explains is =).

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/PCPer-Live-NVIDIA-Maxwell-GTX-980-GTX-970-Discussion-Tom-Petersen-QA

My Rigs (past and present)

I've noticed that on my Element Electronics TV, higher than native resolutions make my colour saturation go higher. this is nice on certain parts of the TV because the viewing angles are made less awful, but on the parts where that wasn't an issue, it looks ridiculous. Nvidia users, do you have any tips?

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

This is awesome, i'm definitely giving this a try when i'm back at my PC!!! 

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

• 3 weeks later...

I managed 3840x2160 (4K UHD) using these settings. (NVIDIA)

f6bb1f9268.png

I am not responsible for any damage caused to your monitor either!

Used this, got to 4K on my Asus MX239.

Thanks a lot!!!!!

When I arrive at the step to select "create custom resolution", the box is grayed out and I am unable to click it.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys!
GREAT THREAD! 
I'm wondering if you can help me with a strange issue I'm experiencing at 4k.
My setup, intel i7 Extreme, GTX 770 4GB, Win 7, Latest Nvidia Drivers, Monitor 30in Samsung LED Television (1080p Resolution). The vide and the audio are coming via HDMI.

I am able to get These resolutions to work: 2560x1440 60 hz, 3200x1800 60hz, 3840x2160 60 hz (using the exact settings Zeal used above, THANKS BTW), and 4096x2160 at 30 hz. (This looks funky though on my monitor the colors are off)

At 3840x2160, EVERYTHING LOOKS EFFING AMAZING!!!! *BUT*.... I get no audio.... Drat! It's like I've seen Valhalla but I cannot enter, I am so close, but so far. Any ideas about what could be causing this? It seems like it might be a simple fix, because the other resolutions have no problem with the audio.

Here's a LA Noire screenshot from my test205xcid.jpg. (Wow this game NEEDED this)

Well with the frame hits I think people with better systems will enjoy the benefits more.  As for what I saw in this thread in terms of comparison photos I didn't really see much difference most of the time.  Is this one of those things where screenshots just don't give you a real idea of how something looks?  I have found this to be the case when watching Twitch and YouTube for videos at times.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well with the frame hits I think people with better systems will enjoy the benefits more.  As for what I saw in this thread in terms of comparison photos I didn't really see much difference most of the time.  Is this one of those things where screenshots just don't give you a real idea of how something looks?  I have found this to be the case when watching Twitch and YouTube for videos at times.

Twitch and Youtube have VERY Heavy Compression though, so they're not great for judging gaming fidelity usually. I often run the 4k (On my 1080p monitor) Videos though and those seem to look pretty good. Better than standard 1080p for sure.

• 1 month later...

since theres no way of doing it on Intel HD's trough driver settings, there's this tool http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=gedosato, and it works on dx9 games. I managed to run Skyrim on 1920x1440 downsampled to 800x600, my native monitor's res (i know, i know - it's still 90's for me)

i also ran it upsampled from 16x16 (nearest filtering) just for fun... and let's just say, vanill minecraft, now looks very high res to me... 

I5tP3Lh.png

Are we getting the full resolution when it still says active pixels are native res?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R