Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

So should i use this thread for asking for suggestions as to what to watch on my break from animé or make a new one?

this one works fine its kinda of a general discussion about anime thread. it also saves us time from finding a different thread.

Higher humor and a form of irony.

I'm not sure why but that concept seems to be nonexistent in amimu if you've ever noticed.

I could be completely wrong, but it could have to do with the fact that sarcasm isn't really a thing in Japan. At least I'm pretty sure that most Japanese don't understand it. (I think I read that on TextFugu or something, so it should be pretty legit.)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Oh yea, it's completely unrelated to anything but I've been re watching Code Geass and I noticed that in like every intro Lelouch is riding a horse, but never in any episode have I seen Lelouch riding a horse..... Wat? (Am I missing some metaphorical point or something?..)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I could be completely wrong, but it could have to do with the fact that sarcasm isn't really a thing in Japan. At least I'm pretty sure that most Japanese don't understand it. (I think I read that on TextFugu or something, so it should be pretty legit.)

Apparently it isn't.

Must be a massive hurdle for foreigners to grasp.

Error: 410

Apparently it isn't.

Must be a massive hurdle for foreigners to grasp.

Think of the inverse. A Japanese person studying abroad learning English (or some other language). I wonder how long it takes to grasp the concept of Sarcasm. If they ever do. Must be enlightening to an extent.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Think of the inverse. A Japanese person studying abroad learning English (or some other language). I wonder how long it takes to grasp the concept of Sarcasm. If they ever do. Must be enlightening to an extent.

That's what I meant.

I think I can handle not speaking sarcastically, but I can only imagine the awkwardness of someone taking something sarcastic completely literal.

this one works fine its kinda of a general discussion about anime thread. it also saves us time from finding a different thread.

sooo What to watch then kinda looking for something more western yet not too western.

sooo What to watch then kinda looking for something more western yet not too western.

like western as Americanized or like a western? Some suggestions for a western are below.

Wild Arms TV (has a BA ending theme)

Saiyuki

Trigun

and im out of ideas for now...

like western as Americanized or like a western? Some suggestions for a western are below.

Wild Arms TV (has a BA ending theme)

Saiyuki

Trigun

and im out of ideas for now...

did you miss the part when i said i may be taking a break from animé?

did you miss the part when i said i may be taking a break from animé?

Cowboys and Aliens?

That's what I meant.

I think I can handle not speaking sarcastically, but I can only imagine the awkwardness of someone taking something sarcastic completely literal.

So... So... like... would they completely not understand a curse word or insult? ... I mean the MF word is sort of sarcastic. In a sense.

Eh, maybe not. That's the difference, I guess, between being unable to understand sarcasm and taking everything literally. I'm sure they can understand a metaphor (since... well... haikus and all that poetry stuff), but sarcasm is like a poetic metaphor, except aimed at humor or used as an insult.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Cowboys and Aliens?

So... So... like... would they completely not understand a curse word or insult? ... I mean the MF word is sort of sarcastic. In a sense.

Eh, maybe not. That's the difference, I guess, between being unable to understand sarcasm and taking everything literally. I'm sure they can understand a metaphor (since... well... haikus and all that poetry stuff), but sarcasm is like a poetic metaphor, except aimed at humor or used as an insult.

I'm sure cursing doesn't translate well at all.

I've seen profanities translated so many different ways, localized, and phrases taken so liberally I have no idea what to make of nip slurs and swears.

I'm sure cursing doesn't translate well at all.

I've seen profanities translated so many different ways, localized, and phrases taken so liberally I have no idea what to make of nip slurs and swears.

Hue^3 I find the word nip hilarious for some reason. 

Barely related to that, I watched episode 147 of Hunter X Hunter. I wanted to cry. I might very well cry next episode. This is it. Unless the Manga starts back up again (which the Mangaka is unsure about happening), this is it. :*(

Best. Shounen. Ever.

Edit: Fitting music helping,

btw, that movie (The Edge of Tomorrow) is based off a manga. I found that interesting. That an American Hollywood movie would base it's story off a manga with no anime. Epic.

But I love that feeling more than almost any other feeling I have. It's definitely a 9 out of 10, where 0 is feeling nothing and 10 is the best feeling I've ever had. 5 would be enjoying a decent sandwich. It's something strange that I've always been drawn to. A sensation of "something important is ending" even if I don't know what that something is. 

If I had to describe it in words, it's like I'm about to die, but that's ok. Like, "This is the end, but that's ok. It's sad, but that's alright." 

It's a feeling I only crave when I am experiencing it, but never any other time. Something I never give thought to unless it's happening. I find that so strange. Anime, video games, or wtv that cause this feeling in me tend to be my favorites. HxH is sort of causing it now, but it's not quite over yet. 

† Christian Member †

Hue^3 I find the word nip hilarious for some reason. 

Barely related to that, I watched episode 147 of Hunter X Hunter. I wanted to cry. I might very well cry next episode. This is it. Unless the Manga starts back up again (which the Mangaka is unsure about happening), this is it. :*(

Best. Shounen. Ever.

Edit: Fitting music helping,

btw, that movie (The Edge of Tomorrow) is based off a manga. I found that interesting. That an American Hollywood movie would base it's story off a manga with no anime. Epic.

But I love that feeling more than almost any other feeling I have. It's definitely a 9 out of 10, where 0 is feeling nothing and 10 is the best feeling I've ever had. 5 would be enjoying a decent sandwich. It's something strange that I've always been drawn to. A sensation of "something important is ending" even if I don't know what that something is. 

It's a feeling I only crave when I am experiencing it, but never any other time. Something I never give thought to unless it's happening. I find that so strange. Anime that cause this feeling in me tend to be my favorites. HxH is sort of causing it now, but it's not quite over yet. 

is it good? never heard of it

I heard they were about to do an HBO adaptation of Monster, but not sure what happened.

and I can't help but suspect a dichotomy of fans from a Hollywood adaptation of a manga, lol.

I heard they were about to do an HBO adaptation of Monster, but not sure what happened.

and I can't help but suspect a dichotomy of fans from a Hollywood adaptation of a manga, lol.

I added more to that post. 

The movie or the manga? Don't know. Haven't seen/read it respectively. I only know that the manga is named "All you need is kill" and it's about a time paradox where some people keep living the same day over and over and they are on the verge of annihilation by an alien threat. Like Haruhi's Eternal Eight, but not so boring since it's very action-packed (due to war and all that).  

WSJ2014_01_11_Cover.jpg

Interesting. Is Monster good? I've heard of it, but never seen/read it. 

Probably. lol

† Christian Member †

The movie or the manga? Don't know. Haven't seen/read it respectively. I only know that the manga is named "All you need is kill" and it's about a time paradox where some people keep living the same day over and over and they are on the verge of annihilation by an alien threat. Like Haruhi's Eternal Eight, but not so boring since it's very action-packed (due to war and all that). 

Probably. lol

more groundhog loops, how exciting.

apparently Monster is amazing. After poking around a bit, it seems to be good enough to have found it's way on my hard drive into the grand archives of pending.

more groundhog loops, how exciting.

apparently Monster is amazing. After poking around a bit, it seems to be good enough to have found it's way on my hard drive into the grand archives of pending.

Well, I mean, the idea itself has great potential. It's just since, by design, it's re-using itself, it gets old fast. You need a twist to make it worth it. The action/mecha (yes, mecha) combat is probably what props up Edge of Tomorrow/All you need is Kill. I haven't seen it yet though (in any form), so this is just what I think and not what I've experienced. 

Cool. Perhaps it will do the same for me.

† Christian Member †

Well, I mean, the idea itself has great potential. It's just since, by design, it's re-using itself, it gets old fast. You need a twist to make it worth it. The action/mecha (yes, mecha) combat is probably what props up Edge of Tomorrow/All you need is Kill. I haven't seen it yet though (in any form), so this is just what I think and not what I've experienced. 

Cool. Perhaps it will do the same for me.

oh, its a mech?

I kept telling people pacific rim was important for the sake of breaking the idea in to American media

oh, its a mech?

I kept telling people pacific rim was important for the sake of breaking the idea in to American media

Partially. Some of it is ground soldier stuff, some if it is minor mechs. Minor meaning smaller ones with less functionality. As opposed to a Gundam or Pacific Rim mechs which are major mechs (exceedingly destructive/powerful with advanced functionality such as nuclear powered and able to fly in space).

This is the one from Edge of Tomorrow: Dat face tho'.

This is from All you need is kill: Like Vanquish.

† Christian Member †

Partially. Some of it is ground soldier stuff, some if it is minor mechs. Minor meaning smaller ones with less functionality. As opposed to a Gundam or Pacific Rim mechs which are major mechs (exceedingly destructive/powerful with advanced functionality such as nuclear powered and able to fly in space).

This is the one from Edge of Tomorrow: Dat face tho'.

This is from All you need is kill: Like Vanquish.

"mecha"

"mecha"

wat *confused*

Is there a specific difference between mecha and mech? I assumed they were interchangeable where mech was the noun and mecha was used to describe something related to mech.

† Christian Member †

wat *confused*

Is there a specific difference between mecha and mech? I assumed they were interchangeable where mech was the noun and mecha was used to describe something related to mech.

I second this

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

wat *confused*

I was expressing mild disappointment.

when I hear mech I usually think of a full blown voltron, not really an augmenting type effective "Iron man on crack" type suit.

I was expressing mild disappointment.

when I hear mech I usually think of a full blown voltron, not really an augmenting type effective "Iron man on crack" type suit.

Ah, sorry then. :( 

If it were Gurren Lagann type stuff, it'd be epic indeed. Too bad. 

I'm sure a mecha anime will come along using this idea at some point. It's a different twist on "inception"s whole schtick too. That the current reality isn't the real one, since if time just repeats again, it will be wiped away, like a dream. 

*Vitalius'DeepTips* (giggity)

† Christian Member †

WSJ2014_01_11_Cover.jpg

Probably. lol

I though it was a light novel not a manga. Yoshitoshi ABe did the illustration for it whatever it is. He was talking about it when he was at ACEN this past may. He said that the writer was super pumped about them picking it up and even helped with the adaptation. ABe was like "I never though that Tom Cruise would play a character that I drew"

Monster is good its very physiological.

It wasnt a direct adaptation per say since the main character is a kid and well tom cruise isnt.

wat *confused*

They are kinda used interchangeably but yes usually when referring to a single one is mech (usually).