Roblox’s CEO is alleged from the New York Times for Tax Evasion

Summary

Roblox’s CEO, David Bazucki, has been alleged by the New York Times, for not paying for millions of dollars in taxes through a legal loophole. They used small business tax to evade millions in taxes.

Quotes

• Roblox founder David Baszucki potentially avoided paying millions in taxes, according to The New York Times.
  • Baszucki and his family used a small business tax exemption at least a dozen times, the paper reported.

My thoughts

I don’t think it’s his fault. Yes it is annoying, but they took advantage of a loophole and look what happened, it worked and saved them tens of millions of dollars.

Sources

https://www.businessinsider.com/roblox-founder-billionaire-david-baszucki-qsbs-tax-break-small-business-2021-12

how are you doing today

-= Moved to General Discussion Off Topic =-

Doesn't meet the Guidelines definition of Tech News.

E: Since this is about personal finance of said person, this isn't about tech or tech company. -LogicalDream

Edited by LogicalDrm

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone who is rich or is in a CEO position does some kind of tax fraud. Not really surprised tbh.

it's not fraud though lol. i'm not a fan of it either, but it was legal...

13 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone who is rich or is in a CEO position does some kind of tax fraud. Not really surprised tbh.

not really, it can be done without fraud. it is called, borrow, spend, then die apprach. these people lock their wealth into stocks, for company CEO/Founders, it is usually stocks of their own company. Later they go to banks that cater these high net worth individual and borrow against their stock portfolio at super low interest rate of like 2%. They then just use the borrow money to fund everything, from food to their private jets. 

Now here is the kicker, borrow money is not consider income thus no tax. what does this mean? their wealth can grow billions each day as their stocks value grow and they pay at most just 2%, instead of 80%+ or so on progressive income tax. As long as their net wealth in stocks can cover their liabilities, they can keep borrowing and spending until kingdom comes and never have to pay back the debts. 

It is no surprise many CEOs take just $1 in salary and choose to be compensated with stocks instead. Finally, they just die at old age and their billions net weatlh pass down to their kins. Due to tax laws, their kins pay abolustly no tax on the capital gains that would be realized had their parents sold the stocks while they were alive. 

All of these together, what does it mean? top 1% can pay shit lower tax than the poorest lower class. Only fools would commit frauds when loops holes are plenty. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

13 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

it's not fraud though lol. i'm not a fan of it either, but it was legal...

34 minutes ago, wasab said:

not really, it can be done without fraud. it is called, borrow, spend, then die apprach. -snip-

My wording wasn't the best but by some kind of tax fraud I meant anything that lets them save money on them. Good for them either way.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Roblox.. not suprising.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

20 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Roblox.. not suprising.

after they went public it feels like they’ve been on headlines the entire time

how are you doing today

4 hours ago, wasab said:

not really, it can be done without fraud. it is called, borrow, spend, then die apprach. these people lock their wealth into stocks, for company CEO/Founders, it is usually stocks of their own company. Later they go to banks that cater these high net worth individual and borrow against their stock portfolio at super low interest rate of like 2%. They then just use the borrow money to fund everything, from food to their private jets. 

Now here is the kicker, borrow money is not consider income thus no tax. what does this mean? their wealth can grow billions each day as their stocks value grow and they pay at most just 2%, instead of 80%+ or so on progressive income tax. As long as their net wealth in stocks can cover their liabilities, they can keep borrowing and spending until kingdom comes and never have to pay back the debts. 

It is no surprise many CEOs take just $1 in salary and choose to be compensated with stocks instead. Finally, they just die at old age and their billions net weatlh pass down to their kins. Due to tax laws, their kins pay abolustly no tax on the capital gains that would be realized had their parents sold the stocks while they were alive. 

All of these together, what does it mean? top 1% can pay shit lower tax than the poorest lower class. Only fools would commit frauds when loops holes are plenty. 

It's sort of a double edged sort to be honest though.

If they were to tax capital gains on death, then you would have family businesses that essentially would have to become either public companies or essentially give up shares of the company...or have it so that less of the company is sold publicly (meaning more failed companies because capital raising is more difficult).  There is also the concept that a company worth billions will likely be spending a lot more money, thus generating more jobs and purchases of goods which means more taxes contributed towards the government.  It also creates issues in terms of how do you tax someone who is inheriting a lot of stock.  An example would be if Elon Musk died tomorrow, the stock price of Tesla would plummet, given the amount that the stock is overvalued the people who are inheriting the stock could potentially owe more money in taxes than the stock would be worth.

While not popular in the eyes of the people, higher consumption taxes would be a better way to go (harder to dodge, and easier to prove).  That way a billionaire who lives an extravagant lifestyle would be paying a lot more everyday tax.  i.e. Imagine if income tax was eliminated but there was a 25% consumption tax (with the exclusion of taxes on food, and essentials)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef