The Amazing Wooden PC

CPotter

This creation came together a lot better than I expected, a very nice touch to make the gear speed tied to CPU fan speed, and the cut off switch gives it definitely more usability than the Left Leaning PC. The gang worked so well together when Linus wasn't there :D

I wonder how long this idea has been in the works given that Martin disappeared 2 months ago after being inspired to ditch the entire project.

A very expensive 3d printer, 3d laser cutting machine, endless powertools, expensive CAD software....

...and you use unpainted birch?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

A very expensive 3d printer, 3d laser cutting machine, endless powertools, expensive CAD software....

...and you use unpainted birch?

Just like the real thing.

As someone who has watched the entire Marble Machine X project for the past 5 years develop in real time, this build definitely has the adequate amount of improvisation and lack of planning that the real project has dealt with. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

27 minutes ago, nineclicks said:

I wonder how long this idea has been in the works given that Martin disappeared 2 months ago after being inspired to ditch the entire project.

Not entirely true:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Wintergatan/community

Give the guy a break, he's away from his relatives (who are in Sweden, he's in southern France) and has made videos for y'all pretty much daily for a long time. He might even be stuck in Sweden b/c of corona restrictions in Europe. I don't know, I strongly doubt you do, so let's not hate Martin simply for not posting stuff :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Interesting case concept. Though, bring up any picture of the MMX and this case looks fairly trivial in comparison.

Also the Swedish the word for being an expert on removing stickers from fans is Fläktettiketsbortagarexpert and yes, it is one word. Germanic languages are wonderful in their ability to have long overly specific words. So Linus, don't be so surprised there at 14:00 about such words existing. (English however doesn't really have many compound words to speak off...)

Also, just 64 GB of RAM?

Though, I guess CAD drawings aren't particularly intensive, nor is most video editing and music production is fairly tame in comparison. (unlike particle physics in Blender....)

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

Not entirely true:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Wintergatan/community

Give the guy a break, he's away from his relatives (who are in Sweden, he's in southern France) and has made videos for y'all pretty much daily for a long time. He might even be stuck in Sweden b/c of corona restrictions in Europe. I don't know, I strongly doubt you do, so let's not hate Martin simply for not posting stuff :old-eyeroll:

Less emphasis on disappearing and more emphasis on him announcing that he is abandoning the current project. Tour is now just a "maybe". Everyone seems pretty annoyed that he was inspired by Elon Musk and some productivity books to scrap the MMX because it wasn't absolutely perfect.

I appreciated how much he loved to learn and try to improve his process but he's spiraled from it and taken it to the point of obstructing his own goals. Like productivity for the sake of productivity. Following these books and Musk's methods are now more important than finishing the instrument or making music.

If that's what he wants to be about, then that's fine but it is disappointing to those of us who wanted to see this musician make and perform music. No hate, just unfortunate for those of us.

3 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Just like the real thing.

As someone who has watched the entire Marble Machine X project for the past 5 years develop in real time, this build definitely has the adequate amount of improvisation and lack of planning that the real project has dealt with. 

Fair enough, but you know the old saying "if I can see further, it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants."

The Marble Machine was groundbreaking in that no one (to my knowledge) had ever done anything like that before, and the designer was making it up as he went along.

The LTT video is a computer case, hardly revolutionary, and given it's going to a user (as I understand from the discussions in the video) I'd want to work with better materials and have better planning and more care in building it.

Dunno, maybe the guy requesting the custom case wanted it to look as "off the cuff" as the Marble Machine...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The LTT video is a computer case, hardly revolutionary, and given it's going to a user (as I understand from the discussions in the video) I'd want to work with better materials and have better planning and more care in building it.

Oh I agree. But when have Linus and his staff ever favored sensible planning and properly finished design over hitting a video publication deadline? They always jank stuff together on the quick and easy in order to get the video out on schedule, because apparently they can't be bothered to implement production fail safes that ensure that there's another video that can be pushed out instead if one gets delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Dunno, maybe the guy requesting the custom case wanted it to look as "off the cuff" as the Marble Machine...

The MMX has been in the works for what, 5 years? And all the wooden parts still have that same raw look. So either it's intentional, or... well it's not, but that's how it is and it only makes sense to match it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

That is an undeniably impressive piece of custom PC case building IMHO - hats off to Alex and the team for doing such an amazing job... and working with wood nonetheless.

I am really liking the custom PC case builds you guys are doing  - totally unique designs and shapes, using materials that aren't easy to work with by hand alone and creating finished builds that are a "1 of 1" collector's piece. Two thumbs up 👍👍

BTW: Can I commission you guys for a "power station" desk PC build? I'll throw in $20,000 just because I'm nice 😉

Hey, could anyone help me with the type of pants that Tynan is wearing. They look just like the sort I like to wear. Caught a glimpse of the logo at 19:08. But google searches and image searches has not yielded the answer.

I absolutely love the wooden case. The only thing I'd change is to add some good wood polish, like what you'd see on a piano or expensive furniture. I think that'd really look classy with this design. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I feel like I gotta drop my old build here as well:

Version 1

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

I eventually got tired of the size and made it a bit more compact...

Version 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

As hinted in the video, every upgrade (and removal/installation of expansion cards) was painful.

I even used to have some watercooling in there with a home-made resevoir and Eheim submersible pump (using UV reactive additives, obviously) in between the PSU/CD drive. Sadly no pictures though.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:02 AM, AmmoJammo said:

I built a wooden PC once... excuse the potato quality!

Is that an exposed power supply? Love the antenna, looks even more jank than my build 😂

This is an awesome and interesting project.  Though a concern would be thermal conduction and heat loss by radiation not being a thing.  Possible built up of static on the wooden surface due to it being a non conductive material.    

That GPU is an interesting choice.  NVIDIA's naming to so confusing.  The Quadro RTX 4000 is the 20 series equivalent GPU as opposed to the Nvidia A4000 which is the 30 series equivalent.  In this day and age gotta take what you can get.