Laptop needed for university

GrayTech

Looking to buy a new laptop for university in Germany. At first I wanted to get a Framework laptop but the price difference between USD and EUR is larger then I expected it to be. The configuration I was intreseted in is about 1200$ in the US without RAM/SSD/OS which would be 1065€. Of course it is very expensive to bring these devices into other countries but the exact same configuration costs about 1400€! Before pulling the trigger on any device I would like to get some recommendations. Should I get the Framework laptop anyways or are there better alternatives?

Requirements:

13-14 inch display

decent port selection including at least one Type A port

16GB RAM or less if upgradable 

500GB NVME or less if upgradable

decent build quality/touchpad/keyboard

reasonable powerful CPU

Touchscreen is always a plus but not necessary 

As for the CPU I'm not 100% sure what to get. AMD seems a good option since they pack an integrated Vega GPU. Ryzen 5/Core i5 is the minimum I would get but I think I would greatly benifit from R7/i7.

Most of the work I do is standard student stuff like writing papers, takes notes, researching on the internet, but I'll do some coding, light simulation and small CAD projects with it.

It is hard to tell how much demanding these tasks will be since our projects will get more demanding over time. Also remoting into my desktop is also an option.

I'm open for laptop recommendations but also some input on which CPU is recommended would be great. I haven't been keeping up with mobile hardware in the last few years.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

I just ordered my framework in germany. Its not as much more expensive as it seems, because there are no taxes added in the US. If you go for a diy version and get the RAM/SSD seperately you can save a lot of money. I went for a 1tb ssd with pcie 3 instead of 4 and that is cheaper than the framework 500gb ssd. You can also save a lot of money by buying your own windows key (if you need windows) 

18 hours ago, Devryd said:

I just ordered my framework in germany. Its not as much more expensive as it seems, because there are no taxes added in the US. If you go for a diy version and get the RAM/SSD seperately you can save a lot of money. I went for a 1tb ssd with pcie 3 instead of 4 and that is cheaper than the framework 500gb ssd. You can also save a lot of money by buying your own windows key (if you need windows) 

Oh i completely forgot that the US does this weird thing with its taxes. I'll get an SSD and RAM by myself. As for the OS I will be installing Linux. Which CPU did you get?

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

I got the i5. I looked at benchmarks and the performance difference isnt that big and wasnt worth the extra 370€. Hopefully there will be new mainboards, by the time I need more performance