New GPU questions

badbratkat

I have a Ryzen 5 3600, x570 motherboard, and had a GTX 1070. I just upgraded to a RTX 3070 ti and I have some questions. Before in games my gpu usage was at 99% with the new gpu its only around 50-70% sometimes dipping low as 30%. Why is my new gpu not using all of its power? Also my cpu% is up more now. Sometimes the cpu% goes up more then then gpu%. In CoD Warzone and Back 4 Blood cpu% will be at 50-60% and gpu only 70% max, with my 1070 my cpu was only 20-30% and gpu was 99%. Is something wrong with my setup? Also I have a 650 gold psu evga supernova g3, do I need a bigger psu?

It's most likely a CPU bottleneck. What resolution and quality settings are you running and what games are you playing? You may need to run at a higher resolution/quality to shift more of the burden back onto the GPU since it's significantly faster than what you had before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 hours ago, badbratkat said:

Also my cpu% is up more now. Sometimes the cpu% goes up more then then gpu%. In CoD Warzone and Back 4 Blood cpu% will be at 50-60%

Install MSI Afterburner and measure the CPU usage per core.

Uninstall GeForce drivers with DDU and install the latest driver after that.

Motherboard BIOS up to date?

I have afterburner thats how I was watching the cpu %. Bios is updated. Resolution is 1080p, I have a 27" Asus 144 hz monitor its 1920x1080. I set the quality settings high, everything turned up, DLSS on quality. Games are Cod Warzone, Black ops Coldwar, and Back 4 Blood are the main 3 I play, L4D 2 also, but I know its so old, it never used much of my 1070, but the other 3 the 1070 was always on 99% usage.

simple it doesn't need to use much power for what its doing,  thats a good thing, lower temps, lower electricity bill = )

my card often hovers around 30% and 1500mhz... and i couldn't be anymore happy about that,  it just means the games aren't very demanding (which technically is a bad thing,  but thats where we are , stagnation since ps360 gen, which was the last time of graphical innovations... now we have checkerboard rendering and dlss which actually lowers gpu loads and glittery "reflections:... *yawn* )

20211222_151144.thumb.jpg.2dc25914dc492fbefb4e4191b219622e.jpg

for example HZD... doesn't even boost above 1000mhz, fans dont even turn on... i love PS3 ports (i guess its technically PS4, but certainly not more demanding than most of the PS3 games i played)

here's another one ,Fatal Frame,  max settings obviously...

20211222_151857.thumb.jpg.9daeb5d3e2744bc935c643527ed7ea24.jpg

"345hz" "boost" woo-hoo! 

if you want higher gpu usage,  for whatever reason, you should try 4k or something. (or try unlocking the framerates, i hate that though,  i have a 60hz screen and everything above 60fps makes me nauseous since its obviously out of sync with the refresh rate)

18 hours ago, badbratkat said:

Does this score seem ok? http://www.3dmark.com/spy/25053858

"pro tip": if you click on the little arrow (result details) it shows you that your system is performing *exactly* as expected 

1637753802_Screenshot_20211222-155542_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.24f32efe7da91cf4a20868a91aef3968.jpg

so, yeah... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Great, thanks for that info, and the in game screen shots. Which card and cpu are you using if you dont mind me asking, you didnt say. Oh and I didnt know DLSS lowers gpu load, thanks.

There's something very simple, make sure that vsync is off and that the game does not have any fps cap.

9 hours ago, badbratkat said:

Great, thanks for that info, and the in game screen shots. Which card and cpu are you using if you dont mind me asking, you didnt say. Oh and I didnt know DLSS lowers gpu load, thanks.

DLSS is Deep Learning Super Sampling. Basically renders the image at a lower resolution then fudges the image up to a higher resolution. They've gotten it so it looks pretty good, but it can degrade your graphics quality.

21 hours ago, badbratkat said:

no problem! a r5 3600 and a rtx3070...  its on my profile. 😉

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

They've gotten it so it looks pretty good, but it can degrade your graphics quality.

dont get me wrong dlss has its use cases, for example when i want to play at 4k DSR it helps in demanding games, but otherwise i definitely try to avoid it as it really doesn't improve anything when it isn't needed. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, Mark Kaine said:

no problem! a r5 3600 and a rtx3070...  its on my profile. 😉

Oh nice! Almost same set up as me. I was worried my r5 3600 was not a good match for a rtx 3070 ti, I wanted a 3060, but the 3070 was the only ones I could find, Im sure its a bit of an overkill for me.