New to overclocking- 980 ti

Hello, 

I recently did a small overclock to my CPU before upgrading and it did marvels for my i7-4790k. I've never done the process with a GPU and was wondering about if it's safe to do in an air cooled system. Unfamiliar waters here so I know there's always an inherent risk, but I don't know if it's at the level that this overclock will fry my card in a year or something crazy. Just trying to gauge how taxing it will be. I don't want to be looking for a card in this climate; damn scalpers. Thanks for taking the time for my newbie questions/ concerns and if you have any overclocking tips much appreciated.

New System Specs

i5-12600K

MSI 980 ti gaming 6g golden edition

ROG STRIX Z690-A 

G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600

BEQUIET DARK ROCK PRO 4 COOLER

CORSAIR RMX750X FM 80+G ATX PSU

Thanks for your time,

Justin

1 minute ago, Lordofstags said:

Hello, 

I recently did a small overclock to my CPU before upgrading and it did marvels for my i7-4790k. I've never done the process with a GPU and was wondering about if it's safe to do in an air cooled system. Unfamiliar waters here so I know there's always an inherent risk, but I don't know if it's at the level that this overclock will fry my card in a year or something crazy. Just trying to gauge how taxing it will be. I don't want to be looking for a card in this climate; damn scalpers. Thanks for taking the time for my newbie questions/ concerns and if you have any overclocking tips much appreciated.

New System Specs

i5-12600K

MSI 980 ti gaming 6g golden edition

ROG STRIX Z690-A 

G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600

BEQUIET DARK ROCK PRO 4 COOLER

CORSAIR RMX750X FM 80+G ATX PSU

Thanks for your time,

Justin

Is google some YouTube videos for how to use afterburner or EVGA precision. It’s very simple. All you really need to do is the auto OC in EVGA precision (is what I use these days) and it will set voltage curves automatically. It gets ridiculously close to what someone spending an hour would be able to get, my 2080 comes within 1 boost bin of what I can do myself with a lot of work…

Just up the temp target, up the power limit to max, and do the auto OC in precision. And then for RAM once GPU clock is good, increase it 100Mhz at a time monitoring performance and stability. Typically you will end up losing performance before it becomes unstable or you get artifacting due to GPU’s memory error correction. It will do error correction to keep it stable, but this reduces latencies so you start losing performance; this is why you have to actually test to make sure things are not getting slower or starting the same. Basically increase 100Mhz at a time until FPS stops going up.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Overclocking GPU is more more easier than GPU. In case anything goes wrong, the system will likely not shutdown, but instead not display image, 

There's third party program that let you overclocking it. But I better recommend you to watch some Youtube video for further information. I can't explain it here.

15 minutes ago, Lordofstags said:

if it's safe to do in an air cooled system.

Completely safe. Unless you do things like vBIOS flashing, GPU overclocking is completely safe, with the biggest risk being that you have to go into safe mode and uninstall your overclocking utility.

17 minutes ago, Lordofstags said:

if it's at the level that this overclock will fry my card in a year or something crazy.

Only if you do something crazy and flash the vBIOS.

To do it, first install a stress test. Heaven and Furmark are two big ones. Then, install a program like MSI Afterburner in order to overclock the card. Increase the core clock by 25MHz and test for stability. If it crashes/artifacts, lower it. If it's stable, increase it by 25. Repeat. Do the same thing with memory, but increase by 50MHz at a time. Once you think it's good, run a bunch of games to verify that the card is stable. If it's not, tweak the numbers until it's stable

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Completely safe. Unless you do things like vBIOS flashing, GPU overclocking is completely safe, with the biggest risk being that you have to go into safe mode and uninstall your overclocking utility.

To do it, first install a stress test. Heaven and Furmark are two big ones. Then, install a program like MSI Afterburner in order to overclock the card. Increase the core clock by 25MHz and test for stability. If it crashes/artifacts, lower it. If it's stable, increase it by 25. Repeat. Do the same thing with memory, but increase by 50MHz at a time. Once you think it's good, run a bunch of games to verify that the card is stable. If it's not, tweak the numbers until it's stable

i herd Furmark can destroy your gpu?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I mean you CAN overclock a GPU and it is much easier than overclocking a GPU but on a 980 Ti (speaking from experience here) they don't really overclock that high. You'd be looking at maybe 200mhz on core max and 300mhz on mem.

Edit: which would give you maybe 4%-6% more performance

58 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I wouldn't say it's completely safe as overclocking memory can cause issues even when you reverse the overclock. Then again that is if you get super aggressive with the memory overclock. 

36 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i herd Furmark can destroy your gpu?

With old cards, yes, but with any card made in the past decade, they have protections in place to make it so it doesn't fry. 

Alright freaking out a little bit tried to do as I was told an now my screen looks like so. Any ideas?

IMG_5370.thumb.jpg.7b38b8999f36a9336618daaeda47b86b.jpg

14 minutes ago, Lordofstags said:

Alright freaking out a little bit tried to do as I was told an now my screen looks like so. Any ideas?

Unstable / too aggressive overclock.

Restore to defaults, or dial the overclock back a bit, and try again.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Well this is truly horrible I think this killed my graphics card. Not safe at all

GPU is officially borked and dead. What perfect timing. For sure never overclocking a GPU again

I have been running a 980ti for years with an OC in my old system. It still works perfectly fine. A friend is using it in is racing sim.

Was it your card or did you buy it?

How was it used before you tried overclocking?

What 980ti was it exactly?

If I had to guess you either pushed it way too hard from the get go or the card was near it's end anyway (because of how it was used prior) and the OC just pushed it there.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon