what am I doing wrong with my ethernet port

Daemon Byte

Hey all. I haven't wired up an ethernet port before but I need a graceful way to put a cable through a wall from a crawl space so the pc can access it. I figured I'd do it via an ethernet port. So I purchased an ethernet port that replaced a plug socket in the wall. All neat and tidy. (https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B008FXGJG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I got my cable, got the strands lined up in the right places and punched down with the tool. The cable went down and between 2 metal blades. However the port didn't work so I pulled the wires out of it to look and the sheath isn't cut. It's squeezed and compressed but it didn't cut. From what I can understand I'm doing it right so any pointers on why this isn't working would be hugely helpful. 

P_20211217_212117.jpg

P_20211217_212149.jpg

You're using cable with stranded wires... the punch down tool and those jacks work best with solid core wires, as they don't "compress" as much and scratch the solid core wire through the plastic.

If you have a soldering iron, you could try desoldering the white part with the blades and soldering the copper wires directly onto the circuit board.

Thanks guys. I thought there was a technique I was getting wrong. I'll see about getting some solid core.