im smarter than geek squad and some computer stores

TheOddOne

some of them knows how to build a computer and actually knows what PCI-e is ETC

if im smart then Linus and everyone on this forum is smart because i got the knowledge from this forum

i cant wait till im 18 or 17

I'm pretty sure geek squad and computer stores hire anybody.

its my first time building a computer with all the knowledge i have and thought about letting my local computer store make it for me

but i thought twice

"some of them knows"

Ehm...kay.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yeah that's true.... Most the time the smart guys that working in computer shops are just hired and trained for a little while to learn how to solve basic problems.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Well, in a computer store they want to sell you stuff. On this forum we want you to have the best experience you can get for your money. So maybe we dont always have more knowledge (but we actually have lol) but we dont get money for it here :D

Edit: Look for example at Newegg TV. When they hired Jenny she had no idea what so ever about Computers. People like her sell you computers then. But after some time now she learnd a lot about all this and now can finally give you decent advise ^^

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Yep that's why i never walk in to Maplin anymore. The employees always bombard me asking me if I need any help with anything, even though I just want to buy a basic extension cable or something.

Yep that's why i never walk in to Maplin anymore. The employees always bombard me asking me if I need any help with anything, even though I just want to buy a basic extension cable or something.

One of my friends works in Maplin, he's 17 and knows more than most of the other employees there about computers, and most of them are in their 30's.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

its not all about knowledge in the retail sector.

customer service comes first. some may be smart, but talking like a dick wont make sales

some who claim are smart may be so towards select aspects of hardware and systems, but more often than not the retail worker needs diverse knowledge about a wider range of products and systems.

Kids your guy's age are going to grow up knowing more about computers then anyone.. it's going to get better with every generation.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

remember, geek squad are the people that are not working at data centers and million dollar corporation. there are reasons why they are working there. I was at best buy not to long ago and I asked one of the kids there about a laptop display specifically, "what panel does it have?" he said, "its full HD." k thx. I knew the answer I was looking for but I like to test the employees from time to time. oh the correct answer should have been something like, "IPS panel."

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

They usually read what the advertisements say.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

some of them knows how to build a computer and actually knows what PCI-e is ETC

if im smart then Linus and everyone on this forum is smart because i got the knowledge from this forum

i cant wait till im 18 or 17

Hmm, cant tell if the real oddone or not...

2032603-TheOddOne_57408_.jpg

Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Asus Geforce GTX 780, Corsair h100i, Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, WD Black 1tb, Corsair 750D, Corsair AX860i w/ Sleeved Cables.

I rarely leave the build logs section.

Kids your guy's age are going to grow up knowing more about computers then anyone.. it's going to get better with every generation.

I would like you to refer to the experiences with non-techies thread, especially @WinNut's stories. (they contradict your post quite a bit)

I worked for Best Buy as a computer guy and let me tell you, Geek Squad sucks. They hire anybody - there's only a select few there that even know what Linux is. BBY just wants you to sell stuff and they track how much you sell. If you don't sell enough they can fire you. It's as bad as Apple Retail stores except at lower pay. Don't do it bud.

I would like you to refer to the experiences with non-techies thread, especially @WinNut's stories. (they contradict your post quite a bit)

I think winnut makes half that stuff up for the sake of padding his post count. 

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

"some of them knows"

Ehm...kay.

Is it really that nice to point out flaws? For all you know English might not be his first language, just saying. It's nice to be nice.

As for the OP guys at computer repair places (mainly chains like Currys PCWrold) are kind of idiotic... Again there only purpose is really to upsale. With my first PC the power supply broke so they replaced it, and then it broke again and they claimed they didn't know what was wrong and that they couldn't fix it. Two years later I fixed it, the power supply they had used had broke as well. Hadn't even bothered to check. Silly, Silly people.

Nothing wrong with that I suppose, I mean not like they know absolutely nothing but they can help those that really are stuck.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Is it really that nice to point out flaws? For all you know English might not be his first language, just saying. It's nice to be nice.

As for the OP guys at computer repair places (mainly chains like Currys PCWrold) are kind of idiotic...

Great thread. Please continue!  :lol:

it's very different to be working on computers at your house  than working on computers with a boss breathing down your neck and the possibility that if something breaks you have to pay the price. and that might mean paying 500 usd from your paycheck.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

I could get a job at Best Buy, if they don't mind me taking frequent breaks to laugh my ass off and just vent.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That's normal most of them don't know anything and read of the feature sheet on the website or the one beside the PC

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ