HTC coming out with a cheaper plastic one m8

EPICSNIPER145

It's still expensive but definitely more manageable: I'd live with the plastic body by buying a 20 bucks cover for it. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

i'm still using my old samsung wave which is a shitty phone, but i'm still using this just because it has a metal body. 

Personally I wouldn't want a plastic M8. But many of my friends have phones like the M7 that they cover with ugly bulky cases anyways. If they are going to waste the beautiful metal with a case, they might as well save money and get a plastic One.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

Needs a "No its still too expensive" option.

I think if it was like 250-300 then i would be yes.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Go figure....I was just going back and forth all weekend on weather to get the M8 or just get a Nexus 5 and finally came to the conclusion that I couldn't justify the extra price on the M8.......if this were an option I'd have picked it up! Now I have to decide if I want to wait. 

I think it's a smart move and hopefully they make money out of it. But I bought the M7 because of the premium feel, and I am planning on getting the m8 because it still feels premium and now it comes with SD Card slot.

The link OP posted is a mobile link

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

i'm surprised of all the Broccoli votes but i wouldn't buy a cheaper one, i love the feeling of a well built phone, haven't had the Zune HD topped yet, from devices i have held, but i think that that phone might just do it.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Wouldn't buy it...

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

A factor none talked about and we don't have any info on is the weight. Unless you are prepared to "deal with it", the HTC is a fatty. If you have the phone regular on a desk I guess it's not an issue, but carrying it around you do notice the weight of it. Pants or the jacket it just feels so heavy!

So while I do like it's metal finish, I'm not interested in it as I don't plan to drop it to show it off as "bling". So I"m all in for it, but tbh I would rather see it copying the Nexus feel with some kind of soft plastic/rubber at the back instead of just "cheap" pastic.

If it has wireless charging? Yeah I would give it some serious thought.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If it has wireless charging? Yeah I would give it some serious thought.

That actually should be on the poll! I bet even Linus himself would vote "Yes if it had wireless charging"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I would only fit it in an otterbox anyway so this is something I like.

I got my One M8 3 days ago and so far I absolutely LOVE my purchase. However, if it wasn't for its fantastic build quality, I never would have even considered it. I absolutely despise plastic in phones. Plus it really isn't that expensive in my opinion. I financed in through T-Mobile for $636USD, so about $22 a month for 24 months after the optional $100 I put down. That is very reasonable to me and worth the few extra dollars a month. Plus with T-Mobile's JUMP program I'll be able to trade in my M8 in a year for a new phone.

Personally I always buy phone cases, so it doesn't really bug me if its made out of plastic or aluminium. So yeah, if I was in the market I would go plastic and get a phone case. 

If the plastic model is decently robust, yes I'd get it over the metallic one (if I was on a tight budget). I would have to see reviews of the plastic version 1st before I make my decision.

If it had decent plastic (Unlike Samsung phones) and had wireless charging/a removable battery so I can add wireless charging, then I might consider it. But at that point, I can just get a nexus 5. The only really compelling reasons to get it over the nexus is the premium and substantial feel, and the speakers (and microSD, but I find myself not needing it much, personally). And while the speakers are awesome, I could live without them if the tradeoff was wireless charging.

At ~$300, it's not really cheap enough for emerging markets, so that's not a thing. And it's lost a big part of what made it special, which is to say making android phones premium feel be a thing (although HTC's phones have always been a cut above in this department, IMO).

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

nop is what make it stand out from the rest. if it where plastic i would buy a galaxy s5  :P

How does it make any Sense (get it...) going up against something like the Nexus 5? Both are plastic.. At $483 It makes NO SENSE (again with the pun) ... and even if HTC prices it at $350 how can it compete with the Nexus? It has Sense (That's where I was going with that pun) and the 'ultra-pixel' camera which I don't think are worth a $133 premium.

I don't see those as highly competitive against the Nexus and it doesn't have wireless charging!! The only good that this might do is take away from Samsung's HUGE audience... then maybe they'll get their heads out of their behinds and make decent phone with some decent software

HELL YEAH, i use a lot of cases so i dont care

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Obvious choice is obvious :P

NZXT H440   //   MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC   //   i5 4670K   //   MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB   //   HyperX Beast 8GB 2400mhz   //   OCZ Agility

I think it is a good idea for htc, but to me what makes it special and unique is the aluminum chassis. Great concept for customers.

I would buy it, based on the price difference. But i don't know why the article says "as high as $850 in some regions". I couldn't find it for less than $1400 anywhere.