TV for the parents - LG C1?

Thorshani

Yet another TV post. We need a megathread with tier rankings like for PC parts

Anyway, looking into TVs for my parents. Currently thinking of going for the LG C1. Things I'd like + dumb questions:

~17ft viewing distance; 77"?

high brightness would be amazing

good color accuracy

good blacks

smart TV with no built-in ads, is this a thing these days?

~2500USD budget; if its more, sell me on it?

does refresh rate matter if not gaming?

I assume OLED is the go-to choice, what about MiniLED tho? Do I look for OLED 2.0?

Thank you kindly

How much do your parents care about picture quality, color accuracy, and black levels? Do they ever talk about these things?

With that budget and viewing distance you should probably be looking at an 85" LCD. It will be brighter than OLED too.

1 hour ago, Thorshani said:

We need a megathread with tier rankings like for PC parts

Wouldnt suit TV's ..or display in general very well.

You'd have to make multiple lists for different use cases and environments

E.G - Gaming - Movies - TV - Office - Dark room - bright room ..mixed, etc.

Best bet, just go to rtings.com

1 hour ago, Thorshani said:

Anyway, looking into TVs for my parents. Currently thinking of going for the LG C1. Things I'd like + dumb questions:

Now as for the TV for ur parents.

Viewing distance vs Size .... 17ft ?! fk me ..thats a big ass room

General speaking rule of thumb is:

Viewing distance / 1.5 to 2 = TV size

or working the other way round. TV size x 1.5 to 2 = viewing distance

So at 17" ur looking at a ~100" display at the smallest.

With ur brightness requirements, and size requirements, I would not recommend an OLED.

U want to look into projectors for anything above 85"/86" as thats the biggest ur gunna find a TV atm.

So u can try out a 85" display, see if its big enough, something like the TCL R745 should be just within ur budget.

Review

Oh as for ads ..ur not getting away from them unfortunately.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

9 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Wouldnt suit TV's ..or display in general very well.

You'd have to make multiple lists for different use cases and environments

E.G - Gaming - Movies - TV - Office - Dark room - bright room ..mixed, etc.

While reading this my mind was already going "at which point you'll basically have recreated ..." and then it came

9 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Best bet, just go to rtings.com

11 hours ago, Thorshani said:

high brightness would be amazing

good color accuracy

good blacks

What do you define as "high brightness", "good colours" and "good blacks"? Honestly most units will likely satisfiy this for the average Joe who doesn't particularly care about it. Is it a bright room the TV will be in?

does refresh rate matter if not gaming?

Not really.

I assume OLED is the go-to choice, what about MiniLED tho? Do I look for OLED 2.0?

For best blacks an overall picture quality I'd say yes, OLED hands down, minus the small risk of burn-in if watching a lot of static / the same content. To my knowledge MiniLED is just normal LEDs, but smaller, technically allowing for more dimming zones. There is no "OLED 2.0" yet as far as I know. I have read about Samsung looking into Quantum Dot OLED, but that's still future-talk.

What kind of material will they be watching? OLED might be great, but if iit's 480p DVDs or cable TV that will be watched then it may not be worth it spending that much on such a unit. If they'll be watching blu-rays or streaming stuff and consuming HDR content then it's more worth it.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

23 hours ago, tikker said:

While reading this my mind was already going "at which point you'll basically have recreated ..." and then it came

Yeah so looks like rtings really likes the C1 haha

What do you define as "high brightness", "good colours" and "good blacks"? Honestly most units will likely satisfiy this for the average Joe who doesn't particularly care about it. Is it a bright room the TV will be in?

It will be rather bright in general, but they have good curtains

For best blacks an overall picture quality I'd say yes, OLED hands down, minus the small risk of burn-in if watching a lot of static / the same content. To my knowledge MiniLED is just normal LEDs, but smaller, technically allowing for more dimming zones. There is no "OLED 2.0" yet as far as I know. I have read about Samsung looking into Quantum Dot OLED, but that's still future-talk.

Hmm okay, there was an LTT video featuring something with "OLED 2.0" but maybe was just marketing

What kind of material will they be watching? OLED might be great, but if iit's 480p DVDs or cable TV that will be watched then it may not be worth it spending that much on such a unit. If they'll be watching blu-rays or streaming stuff and consuming HDR content then it's more worth it.

It will be the latter. Thanks for your input!

On 11/30/2021 at 11:40 PM, dilpickle said:

How much do your parents care about picture quality, color accuracy, and black levels? Do they ever talk about these things?

With that budget and viewing distance you should probably be looking at an 85" LCD. It will be brighter than OLED too.

To be fair, not much. But they would certainly appreciate a step up in those categories

4 hours ago, Thorshani said:

It will be rather bright in general, but they have good curtains

Most important will be the conditions when watching TV. If it's no direct sunlight, occasional daytime watching and mainly in the dark I would still consider OLED. They don't get super bright though and with normal content I do sometimes have trouble seeing the screen, also because it reflects a lot.

Hmm okay, there was an LTT video featuring something with "OLED 2.0" but maybe was just marketing

Might've been about microLED?

It will be the latter. Thanks for your input!

OLEDs really shine with HDR, mostly in dark rooms where their ability to show absolute black is the most impressive. Samsnug's QLEDs may be an alternative to look at. It's not on par with OLEDs in terms of blackness, but they get brighter, and no burn-in to worry about.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I would never recommend someone with a 17' viewing distance go with panel display--which are usually about 85" maximum (and those are PRICEY).  The conventional rule of thumb is somewhere between 1:1 and 1:2 (screen size vs viewing distance).  1:2 at 204" is a 102" screen.  So a 100" projector screen is probably the minimum I'd recommend.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Size isn't everything, but when you're talking about 100-200% larger picture...size tends to have more impact than a change in HDR support, black levels, G2G times, etc.

Cost?  Hisense L5F 120" UST combo was on sale for $3000 on BF sales.  The 100" was even cheaper.  But with 17' of space, you can easily go long-throw (cheaper) and a conventional ALR long-throw screen (also cheaper). 

5 hours ago, Thorshani said:

Probably talking about this years Evo panels which are minor upgrades.

9 minutes ago, IPD said:

I would never recommend someone with a 17' viewing distance go with panel display--which are usually about 85" maximum (and those are PRICEY).  The conventional rule of thumb is somewhere between 1:1 and 1:2 (screen size vs viewing distance).  1:2 at 204" is a 102" screen.  So a 100" projector screen is probably the minimum I'd recommend.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Size isn't everything, but when you're talking about 100-200% larger picture...size tends to have more impact than a change in HDR support, black levels, G2G times, etc.

Cost?  Hisense L5F 120" UST combo was on sale for $3000 on BF sales.  The 100" was even cheaper.  But with 17' of space, you can easily go long-throw (cheaper) and a conventional ALR long-throw screen (also cheaper). 

Not everybody needs to have SMPTE theatrical viewing angles in their living room. And projectors are usually not practical in such an environment.

15 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Probably talking about this years Evo panels which are minor upgrades.

Not everybody needs to have SMPTE theatrical viewing angles in their living room. And projectors are usually not practical in such an environment.

You know what?  You're 100% right.  Screw what I know and the 110" UST projector I have in my well-lit living room and how flawlessly it works.  You clearly know better than I.