Poor performance in every games with RTX 3070 and Ryzen 7 2700X

Walkloly

Hello,

I bought an RTX 3070 there's 1 month ago.

Today I saw than I get very poor performance for a 3070 in every games I play while benchmarking:

-70FPS in GTA V 1080p
-80FPS with very big lag spikes in Horizon Zero  Dawn 1080p.

-etc..

I don't know from where that's come, if someone can help me, here's my setup:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X set to 4GHz Hyper Threading ON and a Vcore arround 1.275V (Temp arround 70-80°C when playing)

GPU: PNY RTX 3070 XLR8 with a GPU set to ~2100Mhz, the frequency set to 7800MHz, and a Voltage arround 800-900mV when using to 100% (Temp arround 65-70°C when playing)

RAM: HyperX 2*8Gb 2666Mhz CAS 15

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Cooler: Antec K240RGB

Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W Modular V2 80+ Gold

All my OC are stable and performance are worse without.

Thank you for your answer in advance.

PS: I'm sorry for my english, I'm french.

Capture d’écran 2021-11-26 014916.png

2 minutes ago, Walkloly said:

All my OC are stable and performance are worse without.

why are you attempting to overclock while doing diagnostics

3 minutes ago, Walkloly said:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X set to 4GHz Hyper Threading ON and a Vcore arround 1.275V (Temp arround 70-80°C when playing)

What's the per core usage? 1080p is going to strain the 2700x more than the 3070.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

why are you attempting to overclock while doing diagnostics

I said it's worse without OC, I've already done the same benchmark without OC.

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What's the per core usage? 1080p is going to strain the 2700x more than the 3070.

How can I see this information please ?

1 minute ago, Walkloly said:

Task manager, more details, performance, cpu. 

Right click graph and select "Change graph to Logical Processors"

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

you dont do diagnostics while overclocking unless you purposely want to issue to be harder to figure out

6 minutes ago, Walkloly said:

The most clear way is with Riva Statistics Tuner in Afterburner. Show the utilization for every core.

Otherwise, in Task Manager, in the CPU tab under Performance, right click on the graph and Change graph to>Logical Processors then leave that open in games to see how much each core is used.

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Task manager, more details, performance, cpu.

50% max

Capture d’écran 2021-11-26 020722.png

50% max

I edited, I forgot to have you change the graph to logical processors.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I edited, I forgot to have you change the graph to logical processors.

5 minutes ago, Walkloly said:

50% max

Capture d’écran 2021-11-26 020722.png

I'm going to guess that the problem is the slow memory speed. Ryzen adores fast RAM. The DDR4-2666 may be hurting the CPU performance. Have you tried overclocking the RAM?

6 minutes ago, Walkloly said:

You have to realize that putting an overclock on won't significantly increase performance if the underlying issue isn't something as simple as you have an underpowered cpu or gpu. If it's something like a software or driver issue overclocking could make the issue harder to locate. Anyways it is always good to look at baseline numbers and undoubtedly your computer would have the cpu as the limiting factor. It looks like the a 1080ti and a r7 2700x at 4.2 ghz you would expect about 135ish fps based on this review https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/page3.html

So it does seem like you reasonably should be getting better performance than you are with your rig. 

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

I'm going to guess that the problem is the slow memory speed. Ryzen adores fast RAM. The DDR4-2666 may be hurting the CPU performance. Have you tried overclocking the RAM?

I don't know how to OC RAM, I will take a look

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You have to realize that putting an overclock on won't significantly increase performance if the underlying issue isn't something as simple as you have an underpowered cpu or gpu. If it's something like a software or driver issue overclocking could make the issue harder to locate. Anyways it is always good to look at baseline numbers and undoubtedly your computer would have the cpu as the limiting factor. It looks like the a 1080ti and a r7 2700x at 4.2 ghz you would expect about 135ish fps based on this review https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/page3.html

So it does seem like you reasonably should be getting better performance than you are with your rig. 

I turned off my GPU OC, and I get arround 60FPS in GTA V. All my drivers are in the latest version.

So what could it be ? Underpowered GPU and CPU ? 650W isn't enough ?

10 minutes ago, Walkloly said:

I don't know how to OC RAM, I will take a look

I turned off my GPU OC, and I get arround 60FPS in GTA V. All my drivers are in the latest version.

So what could it be ? Underpowered GPU and CPU ? 650W isn't enough ?

Not underpowered as in "lacking electrical power" but underpowered as in "lacking performance."

Ça veut dire que le overclocking n'aide pas l'ordinateur si vos CPU et GPU ne sont pas le problème. Peut être le logiciel même est le problème, par exemple. Si le processeur est assez puissant avant le overclocking, le overclocking sera inutile.

Just now, YoungBlade said:

Not underpowered as in "lacking electrical power" but underpowered as in "lacking performance."

Ça veut dire que le overclocking n'aide pas l'ordinateur si vos CPU et GPU ne sont pas le problème. Peut être le logiciel même est le problème, par exemple. Si le processeur est assez puissant avant le overclocking, le overclocking sera inutile.

Is there a way to find from where come the problem ?

3 minutes ago, Walkloly said:

Is there a way to find from where come the problem ?

That's the goal of troubleshooting. You try different things one after the other. I would try the RAM next. If not that, maybe the drivers or other software needs to be reinstalled.

Is it only those two games? How's it benchmark against similar systems online? I have a 2700X also and DDR 3400 memory if you need a system to compare CPU benchmarks against.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Is it only those two games? How's it benchmark against similar systems online? I have a 2700X also and DDR 3400 memory if you need a system to compare CPU benchmarks against.

All games I play, I just took this 2 examples

Decrease that core clock at the very least  . I would bet money its not stable at 236+ on core. And yes it's worse without over clocking . Overclock it back after figuring out what's wrong. But I good guess is that zen architecture is suffering from low speed memory. But try ddu your system then try again before trying to over clock your ram

2 minutes ago, chaotic kronos said:

Decrease that core clock at the very least  . I would bet money its not stable at 236+ on core. And yes it's worse without over clocking . Overclock it back after figuring out what's wrong. But I good guess is that zen architecture is suffering from low speed memory. But try ddu your system then try again before trying to over clock your ram

What mean ddu please ?

What mean ddu please ?

Display driver unistaller . It's a software (free) that u use to delete your old graphics drivers as they might cause issues like yours 

Overclocking an underutilised GPU is pointless and you could very well be unstable at those clocks if it was always GPUbound and 100%.

It rises now so high because when underutilised there is GPU power headroom from not being fully used.

I'd BET its your 2666 RAM if anything.

Go suss Ryzen 2 videos on RAM, its a big deal for higher powered GPUs.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hello back,

I have now OC my RAM to 3200Mhz and I have been remove all my OC/drivers and I just reinstalled Windows and GTA.

Nothing have changed in Game.

I really don't know where is the problem.

EDIT: Why my GPU isn't at 100% ?

It shouldn't use more for performance gain ?

Annotation 2021-11-28 143122.png