MBP 13" M1/8GB/256GB or MBP 13" i5/16GB/512GB BOTH 2020 MODELS

FlushaDev

I'm stuck choosing between 2 Macbook Pros, I'm a university student and will mostly be doing designing, photoshop, a bit of video editing here and there and live music.

Am I going to notice a difference between these two?

They are priced almost the same.

"The only way to do great work, is do do what you love." -Steve Jobs

12 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

I'm stuck choosing between 2 Macbook Pros, I'm a university student and will mostly be doing designing, photoshop, a bit of video editing here and there and live music.

Am I going to notice a difference between these two?

They are priced almost the same.

Id be concerned with the 8 Gigs of ram on the M1. Especially since you might actually use memory doing the stuff you mentioned. I use my Mac as just a normal web browsing machine and I use 11 out of my 16 gigs consistently. The M1 model however will likely have better battery life. You also need to investigate if all your software works on M1, because I think a few vendors are still working on it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Id be concerned with the 8 Gigs of ram on the M1. Especially since you might actually use memory doing the stuff you mentioned. I use my Mac as just a normal web browsing machine and I use 11 out of my 16 gigs consistently. The M1 model however will likely have better battery life. You also need to investigate if all your software works on M1, because I think a few vendors are still working on it. 

Intel it is then?

4 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

Intel it is then?

Its a hard call. Because who knows how support is going to be on Intel machines going forward. I dont use my Mac for professional work, which is why Im not concerned about it. But if you are going to be professional work then you might want to think about it. I dont know how MacOS works 100%, Windows 10 caches a lot of stuff in Ram, which would cause higher Ram usage stats. Not sure if MacOS does the same. 

Everything I have read about M1 suggests in many work loads is equal or better than Intel and it sips power. How much more is a version with more Ram? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Its a hard call. Because who knows how support is going to be on Intel machines going forward. I dont use my Mac for professional work, which is why Im not concerned about it. But if you are going to be professional work then you might want to think about it. I dont know how MacOS works 100%, Windows 10 caches a lot of stuff in Ram, which would cause higher Ram usage stats. Not sure if MacOS does the same. 

Everything I have read about M1 suggests in many work loads is equal or better than Intel and it sips power. How much more is a version with more Ram? 

My old MBP from 2012 had 16Gigs and an 860 EVO before it brokedown, I'll probably go with the intel one

31 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

My old MBP from 2012 had 16Gigs and an 860 EVO before it brokedown, I'll probably go with the intel one

Don't get an intel chip, they are going to slowly stop support for them since M series chips are the future. You would basically be buying something you know will turn into a paper weight if you go Intel - also, the M1 model is a lot faster.

That said, 8 GB of RAM just is not enough. It would be very worth while to upgrade the M1 to 16 GB of RAM and plan to keep the laptop until it dies... If you go intel, it will stop getting updates and software will no longer be supported before it dies, and if you go 8 GB of RAM M1, well, it sorta already is a paper weight since that just isn't enough RAM to be useful.

Sorry to say, but IMO you have to jump up to 16 GB M1, all other choices just don't make any actual sense.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

On 11/21/2021 at 3:46 AM, KaitouX said:

Personally if I went Apple for a Laptop, I wouldn't get anything with a Intel CPU, I would either go with the M1 or look into non-Apple options.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:08 AM, LIGISTX said:

Don't get an intel chip, they are going to slowly stop support for them since M series chips are the future. You would basically be buying something you know will turn into a paper weight if you go Intel - also, the M1 model is a lot faster.

That said, 8 GB of RAM just is not enough. It would be very worth while to upgrade the M1 to 16 GB of RAM and plan to keep the laptop until it dies... If you go intel, it will stop getting updates and software will no longer be supported before it dies, and if you go 8 GB of RAM M1, well, it sorta already is a paper weight since that just isn't enough RAM to be useful.

Sorry to say, but IMO you have to jump up to 16 GB M1, all other choices just don't make any actual sense.

After a lot of consideration I'm going for the 14" M1 Pro

On 11/21/2021 at 2:26 AM, FlushaDev said:

Intel it is then?

As long all your applications run on M1, then M1 it is.

If you "need" any x86 stuff, like VMs or anything, the Intel model might be the better choice.

You rather want to deal with a "little bit tight Ram" than deal with Intel.

First of all, 8gb Unified Memory won't do magic and beat "regular" 16gb Ram everytime, but it's surprising how far you can go with 8gb on M1.

Second, it's crazy how much better the M1 is. You get literaly double the Batterylife, suddenly no more Fan noise and heat output, while still having much more performance.

Also: Consider the M1 Macbook Air with 256gb/16gb Ram over the M1 Macbook Pro Base model. Similar price, but 16gb Ram.

Performance is exactly the same. The Pro simply doesn't lose 15%~ max performance under 100% Full Load. But no Fan Noise.

M1 Macbook Air, when it throttles in Benchmarks is still much faster than the Intel Macbook Pro 13" and consumes less than half the Energy.

Even with the 8gb vs. 16gb Ram thing, i think: Going for Intel here is the wrong choice, unless you need an application, that does NOT Run at all on M1.

On 11/24/2021 at 1:32 PM, Darkseth said:

M1 Macbook Air, when it throttles in Benchmarks is still much faster than the Intel Macbook Pro 13" and consumes less than half the Energy.

MBA really is the ticket IMO. I run the last Intel based one they made (got it over a year before M1, so can't feel bad about it...), and its a "lame" dual core i5 with 16 GB of RAM and its FANTASTIC. Definitely not a powerhouse of a machine, but I am typing this response on it now; its the machine I use most often and love it. Wish it had M1 battery life, although its still miles ahead of any other laptop I have used, and I wish it had faster CPU and RAM just for when I need to relaunch chrome and all my tabs need to reload - lol. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Definitly go MBA with the M1 and 16GB of memory. It's the same computer, but with completely passive cooling. 

The M1 can handle more audio streams than the i5, your battery will last 6x longer, and the M1's for whatever reason, handle RAM allocation better than the intel ones. I have 3 MBP's, a 2015 i7 , 2019 i9, and a 2021 M1 Max, and the M1 Max completely HOUSES the 8-core i9 with the 560X in it. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |