vms for my siblings?

Eatz

Budget (including currency): n/a

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: minecraft, roblox, vr games, (and 3d animation on my end.)

Other details : 

image.png.0931b441e86377d9b334d7e6d6c96919.png

so i built one main pc in my house and want to split off 4 VMs for all of them to use in their rooms.
im just wondering how i actually go about getting video, usb type a and usb type c ports to them in a convenient way that wont have any bugs to deal with.
i will only be setting up 1 vm at first because 2 of my siblings are never here and one of them is behind on school and wont be getting one till he gets caught up.
i already build one of them a pretty good pc as well so they wont need a vm.

DO thing will always have more bugs than a normal setup.  

Do you want multiple vr heatsets at once?

Id just get low end pcs and laptops for roblox and minecraft, and one fast pc for vr gaming.  It will probably be cheaper as you won't have to run wires in the house.

Also do you need vms at all? You can do this with multipoint software like aster and have multiple users share one gpu.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

DO thing will always have more bugs than a normal setup.  

Do you want multiple vr heatsets at once?

Id just get low end pcs and laptops for roblox and minecraft, and one fast pc for vr gaming.  It will probably be cheaper as you won't have to run wires in the house.

Also do you need vms at all? You can do this with multipoint software like aster and have multiple users share one gpu.

i mean technically they all have pcs but vms would be less glitchy would it not?

42 minutes ago, Eatz said:

i mean technically they all have pcs but vms would be less glitchy would it not?

It's more stuff to go wrong. Yeah, you could setup something like VDI, but they wouldn't have GPU acceleration, so everything would feel terrible to use.

1 hour ago, Eatz said:

No, not really. Running things locally on an individual computer is simpler. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, Eatz said:

Running seperate pcs will be much more reliable and simpler. Id go this way.

Id probably say vms are about the same for issues. You have to deal with pcie passthough issues that you don't with multipoint.

1 hour ago, Eatz said:

so i built one main pc in my house and want to split off 4 VMs for all of them to use in their rooms.
im just wondering how i actually go about getting video, usb type a and usb type c ports to them in a convenient way that wont have any bugs to deal with.

First thing: not with that hardware, you can forget about it.  To get any sort of GPU acceleration, you need to either split your video card using a VDI capable one (some Radeon Pro and Quadro), or better yet get multiple GPUs.

One can sling accelerated video across the house using simple CAT6 - either an HDBaseT extender that carries USB to a monitor with USB hub (for keyboard/mouse) and audio, but each VM will need its own GPU passed through as well as the USB devices.  A possibly better option is to do VDI, where you use a remote system as a terminal client and use RDP, VNC, or another sharing method, including some web based ones, to sling it across a network connection, same with a Windows Multipoint services install which is designed to act as a terminal server with shared resources.  This has some advantages, but still has functionally the same hardware requirements: HEDT at a minimum (yes, this means giving up raw CPU power for X299, but you gain the PCI-E lanes for GPUs), and probably just straight server hardware (and in the case of Windows Multipoint Services, a server license as well).

By the time it's all said and done, it's cheaper to just get them cheap refurb HP or Dell business desktops and slap a Quadro card in them.

That being said, I absolutely do use my main gaming rig remotely to run anything that requires some serious punch, provided I'm not across the world where the latency is terrible.  I have a VPN endpoint and VPN into my network from my laptop, then ship the information to be processed over to the desktop, then back ... though, less lately since my laptop got good enough (see my thread on upgrading that old beast).  But this is a single user - I'd need more GPUs, CPU, and RAM to VM this up.

2 hours ago, Eatz said:

image.png.0931b441e86377d9b334d7e6d6c96919.png

Literally the rare occasion where i just go what the hell?  Because literally nothing makes sense here

Xoc board is completely uneccesary and it prob doesnt even have video out for the igpy

Why the hell have an apu here

Overpriced and overkill rams

Pathetic gpu (considering the xoc board and overkill overclocking rams)

Oh god i hope you didnt actually build this or atleast changed out the blatantly useless parts like the mobo

If you want some virtualization get tons of cores like a ryzen 9 5950x cause a 5700g is not going to cut it at all

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Running seperate pcs will be much more reliable and simpler. Id go this way.

Id probably say vms are about the same for issues. You have to deal with pcie passthough issues that you don't with multipoint.

yes but vr ready pcs are $$$$$$$$$

4 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Literally the rare occasion where i just go what the hell?  Because literally nothing makes sense here

Xoc board is completely uneccesary and it prob doesnt even have video out for the igpy

Oh god i hope you didnt actually build this or atleast changed out the blatantly useless parts like the mobo

If you want some virtualization get tons of cores like a ryzen 9 5950x cause a 5700g is not going to cut it at all

got the board for upgradability, had the cpu laying around so why not use that instead of spending 600$ of a 5900x,
apu is again, because i just had one laying around.
overpriced? those kits were 160$ each
bruh...its a 3070...how is that pathetic.....its a 3070...im lucky to even have a gpu in this market.
anything else?

also yes, i already built it. i plan to replace the mobo and get a decent aio and sell it so i can get a 3080ti and base my whole new build off that.

i didnt build the system with intent to have it be a vm rig just thought it might be possible and i can sell the 900$ rig i built for my brother that he isnt using like ever and he can get more performance out of sharing mine or simmilar performance.

2 hours ago, Eatz said:

got the board for upgradability, had the cpu laying around so why not use that instead of spending 600$ of a 5900x,
apu is again, because i just had one laying around.
overpriced? those kits were 160$ each
bruh...its a 3070...how is that pathetic.....its a 3070...im lucky to even have a gpu in this market.
anything else?

Ohhh now the specs sorta make sense, though the board is still a waste cause a cheap x570 like the x570 tomahawk is pretty much the same thing except cheaper

The gpu is still somewhat pathetic cause coulda not spent the entire budget on a completely overkill board with overclocking features you will never use or atleast barely use, if you got an x570 tomahawk which is ~100-150$ cheaper then you coulda prob got a 3070ti or maybe even 3080 if you are lucky

Also 160$ is actually a good price my mistake ;-;  although 3200mhz cl16 can be had for like 100$ now so yea thats what i was comparing it to, also you coulda just overclocked 3200mhz to 3600mhz and saved ~60$  btw 4x16 is gonna stress the imc real hard so rip any sort of ram overclocking, maybe a 2x32gb kit would have been prefferable here

Though what parts did you buy and what parts did you have laying around when you made this build? Cant really give an actual opinion if idk the context of it

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ohhh now the specs sorta make sense, though the board is still a waste cause a cheap x570 like the x570 tomahawk is pretty much the same thing except cheaper

The gpu is still somewhat pathetic cause coulda not spent the entire budget on a completely overkill board with overclocking features you will never use or atleast barely use, if you got an x570 tomahawk which is ~100-150$ cheaper then you coulda prob got a 3070ti or maybe even 3080 if you are lucky

Also 160$ is actually a good price my mistake ;-;  although 3200mhz cl16 can be had for like 100$ now so yea thats what i was comparing it to, also you coulda just overclocked 3200mhz to 3600mhz and saved ~60$  btw 4x16 is gonna stress the imc real hard so rip any sort of ram overclocking, maybe a 2x32gb kit would have been prefferable here

Though what parts did you buy and what parts did you have laying around when you made this build? Cant really give an actual opinion if idk the context of it

3070 isnt pathetic at all, i was lucky to even be able to get it, nothing else was even in stock.